Young Atheists/Life long atheists please chime in.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
02-07-2012, 03:14 AM
RE: Young Atheists/Life long atheists please chime in.
Ahh, the condescending claim of "I used to be like you, then I became a Christian/Muslim/etc and now I am no longer lost."
Usually punctuated by: "I will pray for you."
Then they go on to use the same apologetics other theists use. It's hard to believe anyone can be convinced by those arguments.

I call shenanigans. This is a blatant lie. This person (or type of person) was never like me. It's more than likely this person just didn't think about god and stuff before, and now does. So in a sense they were atheists before and now are not.

Here is the problem:
We aren't lost. We don't need to find Jesus.
We aren't sinners. We don't need redemption.
We aren't unconvinced. We have weighed your claims, and found them lacking.

There is one thing that will make us change our minds: Evidence. Do you have it?

So no Mr I-used-to-be-an-atheist-for-fifteen-years-then-I-found-Jesus. You were never where I am now. You were just lazy.
But guess what, I was where you are now. Then I grew up.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Smooshmonster's post
02-07-2012, 05:41 AM
Quote: I call shenanigans...
My heart skipped a beat when I read this in a Irish accent Blush Big Grin Tongue

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
02-07-2012, 06:06 AM
(27-05-2012 01:45 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Any one on this forum, despite what they may say now, could eventually follow in Strobel’s footsteps. Anyone is susceptible to brain atrophy.

[Image: 3qNkQ-m7t02igeC-fvniWQ2.jpg]

Besides the fact that I am a prophet and still an atheist, I won't be I with no atrophied brain, fool. Big Grin

As to the OP, what the fuck? You want reassurances, go back to church. Angry

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
02-07-2012, 08:23 AM
(26-05-2012 10:42 AM)roadrunner Wrote:  In light of the show a few weeks ago (atheist teenagers) can some one please reassure me that people have been atheist all their lives won't some day run into some apologist and get saved. After being in church all my life I see "testimonies" of people that either claim to have been atheist, agnostic, or went to church all their life but were never saved and now they saw the light. Personally after having been a xian I know firsthand that religion has nothing to offer. But someone who has never tried it may be inquisitive. I just want to know that young atheist see it for the ancient superstition that it is and won't someday be a Lee strobel type christian.
Been atheist all my life. I haven't had a chance to check out that particular podcast yet but I can tell you that I find all religion to be pure foolishness. I'd have to be fucking high while simultaneously suffering from a traumatic brain injury to get "saved". lol
02-07-2012, 12:43 PM
I think it's all about being predisposed.
Some will fall into theism because they seek something like that.
The child raised in a theist home can easily become an atheist if predisposed to be so.
Hitchens stated that he did not become an atheist, rather he discovered himself so.
There is some truth there.
I would say that I've been an atheist all my life, I just didn't discover it until later.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 2 users Like Thomas's post
02-07-2012, 09:35 PM
I can imagine how someone convinces themselves that a particular faith is true because people so want there to be some 'deeper meaning' to their life and their existence. Religion can also help people cope with tragedy in their lives. But I cannot imagine any rational reason for converting from atheist to theist.

The faithful love to trot out 'converts' to give legitimacy to their faith and to showcase how so-called rational thinkers concluded a particular faith is the true one. However the conversion to religious faith is a breaking with rationality.
03-07-2012, 09:18 AM
(26-05-2012 10:42 AM)roadrunner Wrote:  In light of the show a few weeks ago (atheist teenagers) can some one please reassure me that people have been atheist all their lives won't some day run into some apologist and get saved. After being in church all my life I see "testimonies" of people that either claim to have been atheist, agnostic, or went to church all their life but were never saved and now they saw the light. Personally after having been a xian I know firsthand that religion has nothing to offer. But someone who has never tried it may be inquisitive. I just want to know that young atheist see it for the ancient superstition that it is and won't someday be a Lee strobel type christian.
I tell christians that a god doesn't magically pop into existence when an atheist gets old or sick, or suffers from some other adversity.
03-07-2012, 06:04 PM
(26-05-2012 10:42 AM)roadrunner Wrote:  In light of the show a few weeks ago (atheist teenagers) can some one please reassure me that people have been atheist all their lives won't some day run into some apologist and get saved.............. I just want to know that young atheist see it for the ancient superstition that it is and won't someday be a Lee strobel type christian.
It was that show that made me join the forums, if a younger atheist is say passive with his atheism (doesnt atend debates, doesnt aruge with theists, doesnt read an atheist books etc) then there is a chnace that he may get "saved" after a run in with some skillful apologist. However if a young ateist is active (reads books like God is not Great, watches athesit V.S theist debates, activity takes part in the debate etc) then is is very unlikely that the young atheist in question will turn because he has been insulated by the counter arguments of Hicthens, Haris and all the other decent atheist debaters. Just my thoughts on the subject

You cannot be both sane and well educated and disbelieve in evolution. The evidence is so strong that any sane, educated person has got to believe in evolution.
-Richard Dawkins