Young Living Essential Oils is a Scam

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2017, 07:12 PM
Young Living Essential Oils is a Scam
Young Living is a multilevel marketing company that sells essential oils. They claim that their oils can cure every disease. The problem is... there's no evidence to back up their claims. So instead of evidence, they utilize manipulation tactics and reliance on cognitive bias to grow their influence. Sound like religion? It should. Here's my response to an ad by Young Living:

https://youtu.be/9CYDon4jhic

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GMSkeptic's post
06-05-2017, 07:56 PM
RE: Young Living Essential Oils is a Scam
At work so I can't watch this yet...sounds a lot like homeopathy in a way. I mean, I use essential oils in a dehumidifier, but only because I like the smell. I don't see how diluting a couple drops of plant oils into a quart of water can be any more 'healing' than whatever placebo you get from it.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 1 user Likes Loom's post
06-05-2017, 07:59 PM
I like essential oils because I find them calming and like to use them during meditation, but for healing purposes, no.
06-05-2017, 08:09 PM
I use some in a diffuser, they smell nice. Sure beat all those "air fresheners".

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
06-05-2017, 08:21 PM
(06-05-2017 07:59 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I like essential oils because I find them calming and like to use them during meditation, but for healing purposes, no.

Yeah, they smell great! Unfortunately, people are relying on them to do much more than that and putting themselves at risk.
06-05-2017, 09:25 PM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2017 09:29 PM by Robvalue.)
I've come to learn a lot about essential oils recently, and was surprised to find out there's a legitimate case for their use with animals: zoopharmacognasy. They aren't supposed to be a miracle cure for everything, but they can alleviate a lot of problems. The amazing thing is that animals self-select the oils they need, meaning they can diagnose simple problems in themselves better than a vet can and often treat themselves without the need for harsher medicine. This must be a leftover skill from life in the wild.

I'd have called this all bullshit not long ago, but I'm now convinced. And I'm not easily convinced. My wife has attended several courses about it, and the animal charity she works with have adopted their use as a matter of course. Vets are slowly coming round to it, but some are resisting.

It was developed by a lady called Caroline Ingraham, and you can find her website easily enough if you are interested. I've seen the results on my own dog first hand, and it is astonishing. The right oils have made all kinds of differences, including calming her down in stressful situations almost instantly. The useful thing is that the placebo effect is much less of a problem with animals.

Caroline does suggest that oils can help humans too. Again, any claims of them being cures for everything is ridiculous. They are natural remedies for common problems, which help the body heal itself. They must be high quality pure ingredients which are typically quite expensive, or else they are useless. And they aren't meant to be used to the exclusion of regular medicine when needed.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-05-2017, 12:26 AM
(06-05-2017 08:21 PM)GMSkeptic Wrote:  Unfortunately, people are relying on {essential oils} to do much more than that and putting themselves at risk.

Herbal stuff is nothing to fart around with. Putting aside for a moment the problem of using these oils to cure diseases, a substantial number of plants and their extracts are dangerously toxic if misused. Herbals should be kept well away from children and pets who might accidentally ingest them, and not used during pregnancy.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
[+] 1 user Likes Astreja's post
07-05-2017, 01:54 AM
(06-05-2017 09:25 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  I've come to learn a lot about essential oils recently, and was surprised to find out there's a legitimate case for their use with animals: zoopharmacognasy.
Caroline does suggest that oils can help humans too.

Um, no. There has been many potential pharmaceuticals developed that were incredibly promising in animal trials - and we're not just talking mice, we're talking primates, but as soon as human testing started there was no effect. That's why medicine development starts with animal trials and moves to human trials - you can't generalise results you get from animal trials, not even from apes.

Young Living is a marketing company... enough said.

My Blog
07-05-2017, 06:58 AM
(06-05-2017 09:25 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  The right oils have made all kinds of differences, including calming her down in stressful situations almost instantly. The useful thing is that the placebo effect is much less of a problem with animals.

Incorrect. The placebo effect in your dog does not come from the used item, but from YOU. The dog reads your facial expressions and body language and acts accordingly. Use the stuff for a while longer, then give her a placebo while you act exactly the same (that part is very, very hard to do with a dog who knows you, it is likely impossible for you to hide that you are expecting a different outcome) and she will still calm down.

Dogs rely on your mood and attitude to base their actions on. They don't actually have much of a vocabulary, but your tone of voice, facial expression, where you look, how fast you breathe, your body temperature are all guidelines for her behavior. And there are a lot more things they can read, we are only just uncovering things like dogs knowing ahead of time when you will have a seizure, or even a heart attack. They read YOU like a book.

If you expect her to be worried, or excited, or calm, or aggressive, you show these things to her. Whether you want to or not. Many dog trainers hence train the people, not the dogs.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
07-05-2017, 10:53 AM
(06-05-2017 07:12 PM)GMSkeptic Wrote:  Young Living is a multilevel marketing company that sells essential oils. They claim that their oils can cure every disease. The problem is... there's no evidence to back up their claims. So instead of evidence, they utilize manipulation tactics and reliance on cognitive bias to grow their influence. Sound like religion? It should. Here's my response to an ad by Young Living:

https://youtu.be/9CYDon4jhic

Yes, of course they are bullshit. Anything characterized as "multilevel marketing" and "cure all" is by default bullshit.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post