Young Turks...what is the appeal?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-08-2017, 07:38 AM
Young Turks...what is the appeal?
Since I've been here on this forum, I've seen a few users point to YouTube videos and quotes from the hosts of Young Turks. I have to admit, I've seen snippets of their show from time to time and from what I've seen, it seems they are unusually angry and I just assumed they were another independent seldom watched news program. But here it seems they have legs.

Just curious as to their appeal here with several of the TTA members. Should I be keeping track of them when I consume the news? Do they offer different or unique perspectives on current events?

It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-08-2017, 08:38 AM
RE: Young Turks...what is the appeal?
I don't like them much either. I agree with them in general terms on most things but find them very difficult to listen to because the rhetoric is just so strident.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
31-08-2017, 08:44 AM
I thought Rod Stewart did well with that song.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
31-08-2017, 08:51 AM
The young jerks have gone completely off the rails.
It's the lefts version of Breitbart or Fox.
I did not and would not ever vote for Trump, but seeing the deer in the headlights look on the face of this breed of douche was almost worth 4 years of a piece of shit like Trump.
At this point they are nails on a chalk board to me.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
31-08-2017, 11:46 AM
My kids like watching them, I can see their appeal to young political activists.

(31-08-2017 08:51 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  I did not and would not ever vote for Trump, but seeing the deer in the headlights look on the face of this breed of douche was almost worth 4 years of a piece of shit like Trump.

The big Turk predicted Trump's victory in July 2016. Deer in the headlight is not an accurate description.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
31-08-2017, 01:30 PM
I used to like them, but lost interest. I don't know if there was anything specific that caused me to lose interest though. Maybe they just became a little too big for me.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
31-08-2017, 01:45 PM
I used like like watching them, like others here. But I started to lose interest in the early part of this last election because of the strong one-sided rhetoric. Plus I felt like their level of research was basic- I often felt like they were just reading other news stories and commenting with their own thoughts, with a few exceptions on some stories.

They also started to feel too extreme for me, and watching their videos just left me annoyed.

So I unsubbed from both them, and Kyle, and David Packman- all 3 channels just started to feel like they had the same vibe to me.
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post
31-08-2017, 01:45 PM
They've had one or two good hits. In general, just a bunch of shit like most.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
31-08-2017, 01:52 PM
I find their stuff backed up mostly. Cenk Uyghur has good political sense. They do fuck themselves a little bit. Cenk in particular can work himself up into a frenzy over something. Mind you, I find what he says in that frenzy is usually on point. But he ends up looking like a frothing at the mouth clown like Alex Jones (not that I will ever watch that idiot). They are also a little loud.

But yeah. The reporting of facts is usually well sourced, their opinions can swing a bit out there but mostly I find them plausible. Most of the time they do seem to take e.g. a new york times story and comment on it - AFAIK their original journalism is pretty sparse. I don't think they necessarily set out to be a left-leaning mouthpiece, my read is that their bunch just can't stand Trump to the degree that a lot of their stuff ends up being about how fuck-wrong the right is on a lot of stuff.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
31-08-2017, 02:07 PM (This post was last modified: 31-08-2017 02:12 PM by ClydeLee.)
I think there's far more of an open comedic quality to it... along with the line of, yes no shame we are liberal and going to be biased in degrees in wanting liberal ideals. But also push agendas as they have their anti money in politics push

Maybe that changed in the Era of trump idk I watched from time to time if topics were interesting a year and 2 ago.

But I don't get saying they don't set out to be a left leaning mouthpiece is true, after the Cenk guy was out of CNN I think this show started with CurrentTV which AL gore part owned intending to be left openly and not in the playing safe cnn/msnbc way.

And yeah they did have some more so expecting trump to win like Girly points out but a lot of that was based on them also in the pulse of being very anti Clinton and were of the liberals that push for Bernie not supporting the Democrats as is which is more what the msnbc gets claimed as doing by many

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson