Young and Atheist with Christian parents

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-05-2011, 09:43 PM
RE: Young and Atheist with Christian parents
Your parents are just protecting you. If you become an atheist you will become unhappy, evil, suicidal, drop out of college and begin drugs. Thank your parents.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-05-2011, 09:47 PM
Lol they really think that too. Oh, well there's cookies on the dark sideTongue
25-05-2011, 10:04 PM
Well I forced myself out of church at about 6 years old by being so disruptive that they didn't want me. But I don't really suggest that. My mom was having a difficult time physically and my sister who was 8 years older was causing a lot more trouble so I was overlooked often. 6 was the last time I was forced to go to church. And they already knew my views which they never really forced to change. I also have that other coming out with the whole transsexual thing, that was a prolonged phase until I went to school as a girl at 16 and they all the sudden had to deal with it. My father ignored it, and my mom reformed her belief system because she realized how silly eternal damnation is for listening to a need.

I had it lucky but I can mention one thing. People generally mention how you should keep quiet while not yet independent of your parents, but I understand. If something is important to you or important to them and every time you see them you have to lie about it, it's the same as you not really being there. I understand fully the need to be who you are, and how difficult it can be sometimes to have to be false for someone you see all the time. Especially when there are deep emotions shared between you. You were not wrong to do what your mind needed done. Some people can hold it in and try to focus on other things before finally reaching this thing they've always known but hid. Others try to hide and after a long time of gaining the success and working towards a life realize they waited too long and their life is now dependent on the lie. And others just can't wait, and it is detrimental to their livelihood to not admit it. You'll learn to live with the repercussions to your actions but this will be better for you overall, because you'll feel you were more honest with your family. And honesty is something that we look back on with pride.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
25-05-2011, 10:45 PM
(25-05-2011 10:04 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  Well I forced myself out of church at about 6 years old by being so disruptive that they didn't want me. But I don't really suggest that. My mom was having a difficult time physically and my sister who was 8 years older was causing a lot more trouble so I was overlooked often. 6 was the last time I was forced to go to church. And they already knew my views which they never really forced to change. I also have that other coming out with the whole transsexual thing, that was a prolonged phase until I went to school as a girl at 16 and they all the sudden had to deal with it. My father ignored it, and my mom reformed her belief system because she realized how silly eternal damnation is for listening to a need.

I had it lucky but I can mention one thing. People generally mention how you should keep quiet while not yet independent of your parents, but I understand. If something is important to you or important to them and every time you see them you have to lie about it, it's the same as you not really being there. I understand fully the need to be who you are, and how difficult it can be sometimes to have to be false for someone you see all the time. Especially when there are deep emotions shared between you. You were not wrong to do what your mind needed done. Some people can hold it in and try to focus on other things before finally reaching this thing they've always known but hid. Others try to hide and after a long time of gaining the success and working towards a life realize they waited too long and their life is now dependent on the lie. And others just can't wait, and it is detrimental to their livelihood to not admit it. You'll learn to live with the repercussions to your actions but this will be better for you overall, because you'll feel you were more honest with your family. And honesty is something that we look back on with pride.

I wish I would have gotten kicked out of church for being loud, I was a quiet little kid thoughRolleyes I'm glad that you were able to be yourself and have your family on your side. That's truly a wonderful thing. You seem wise, would you accept my friend request? There are other things I would like to talk with you about Lilith.Smile
25-05-2011, 11:06 PM (This post was last modified: 25-05-2011 11:11 PM by Lilith Pride.)
Of course I would, where at?

Oh!! The buddy list thing works. Was wondering about that for a while.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
26-05-2011, 01:24 AM
(25-05-2011 08:30 PM)Senseeker Wrote:  Thank you!Big Grin
For all of your stories! Its nice to be among those who are in/have been in similar situations to mine. Its also refreshing to hear of those with open minded parents who accept and encourage their freethinking.

@Noreseman:
I just wanted to clarify that I am a 19 year old female. Oh, and perhaps I shouldn't have used "punishment" to describe my parents reaction. My mother is an extremely stubborn and controlling woman who fights tooth and nail to get her way. My father usually gives in to whatever my mom decides to do so he's not really a factor.Anyway she's going to make me attend not only Sunday service (Baptist church which lasts for 6 hours) But Monday woman's meeting (3 hours) Tuesday Choir rehearsal (2hours), Wednesday bible study (3 hours), and after church programs held at neighboring churches (4 hours). She will most likely tell all of the people at church of my "sudden loss of faith" and have people come to me with random biblical verses hoping to reconvert me. To me that is a punishment worse that getting a quick spanking.. and even holding my tounge about my beliefs.Sad

What on earth is going on here!? This place used to be a sausage fest! I suppose this is my innate sexism slapping me in the face. I can't imagine what kind of leverage your mum must have if she can force you to do those things. One thing is for certain, if you can go through with that, your a "bigger man" than I am. I'd go fucking postal! If you do decide to leave the assault rifle at home, my tactic would be to be ass insufferable, confrontational and down right unpleasant as I could.
Make them kick you out!

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
26-05-2011, 04:47 AM
You don't like me Norse? =p If you want a bunch of men arguing with each other then go to christianity. I'm sure that misogynistic religion has plenty of forums excluding women. Of course Islam does. I'm just playing Norseman.

I apparently did not read your statement about what punishments last night here is my response.

I would suggest reading evilbible.com (which was written by a woman Norseman =p). That should give you a good basis of refutations when dealing with these meetings. I would be adamant in discussing the absurdity that all of these women are protecting a book that classes them lower than a slave in it's chain of hierarchies. Super religious women make me want to strangle them. They are raped of so much by their own long term belief that christianity is true, and they turn around and tell little girls there is justification in the fact that it is wrong to be female. I use raped because indoctrination is a forced action (I don't use that word lightly).

I would be opposed and adamant no matter how much changes in a statement to her that this is a complete waste of both your times, and she'd have been better off with one church service. I understand the pressures involved in being an introverted skeptic and age issues. This time however she is removing a large portion of your time for absolutely nothing. Forcing you to go to hours upon hours of services is not going to be more effective then one. The reason for all those other classes is for people who believe and want more time with the discussion.

I have family members who follow these ridiculous ideas and I make sure to state it to them. I'm respectful enough not to stop them from allowing their children to wear make up, but I don't just let the misogyny pass. Many women need to realize that there is no need for us to be so subservient. You don't have to be contrary, but you can have your own life. Life is not a punishment (as a child I really believed it was).

Discuss hot topics in the women's meeting. Did you know the viability age in some states is being lowered below 24 months? That means that in those states babies will be given life saving measures despite your decision on the matter well before they even have a statistical chance to live a normal life. These things are important for women to know, and will piss off the women's group excessively with their pro life philosophy. Discuss what life for a 20 month old baby is like. The women I know like this actually blame any defects on the child themselves. One of my families uses a daughter as the scapegoat because she has reading problems and is not as fast as the other girls to understand given information. She is blamed for absolutely anything that goes wrong and is resolute in accepting that she is worthless. I know baptists well >.> This family also has 5 girls, not because they wanted a big family, but because they wanted a son.

You need to find a way to put your foot down and show your mom that she can force you to attend some services, but this is beyond the acceptable amount. I got through it as easily as I did because my mom was having heart problems during most of my childhood. She didn't really have the ability to fight me, and my dad is not the type of guy to do anything when it doesn't fit his fancy.

And I hope we start talking soon something like MSN or Skype would be easier. I don't mind at all being someone to discuss a wide range of topics with.

26-05-2011, 04:52 AM
(26-05-2011 01:24 AM)Norseman Wrote:  What on earth is going on here!? This place used to be a sausage fest!

Sausage fest...hehe Tongue

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-05-2011, 08:59 AM

(25-05-2011 09:43 PM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  Your parents are just protecting you. If you become an atheist you will become unhappy, evil, suicidal, drop out of college and begin drugs. Thank your parents.

Yea right. If you become a Christian, you will also become a pedophile, genocidal maniac and infanticidal rogue. So, I prefer Atheism over Christianity.
Quote this message in a reply
26-05-2011, 10:51 AM
(25-05-2011 08:30 PM)Senseeker Wrote:  @ sy2502:
Your situation did sound tough, I know how fanatical Jehovah's witnesses can be.I can't imagine going door to door trying to sell a religion that you don't even believe in. Are you still in that position?
No, this was a long time ago, thankfully it's all behind me. One thing that always amazes me is how uninterested my parents are in whether I am happier now than I was when forced to participate in their religion. You'd think one of the first questions they'd ask would be "are you happy now?" or "are you happier now?". But I don't remember ever hearing this question.

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.