Young and Atheist with Christian parents

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-05-2011, 12:42 PM

RE: Young and Atheist with Christian parents
(26-05-2011 10:51 AM)sy2502 Wrote:  
(25-05-2011 08:30 PM)Senseeker Wrote:  @ sy2502:
Your situation did sound tough, I know how fanatical Jehovah's witnesses can be.I can't imagine going door to door trying to sell a religion that you don't even believe in. Are you still in that position?
No, this was a long time ago, thankfully it's all behind me. One thing that always amazes me is how uninterested my parents are in whether I am happier now than I was when forced to participate in their religion. You'd think one of the first questions they'd ask would be "are you happy now?" or "are you happier now?". But I don't remember ever hearing this question.

I think they already deduced that your happier now and didn't see any point asking. Why ask a question when the answer is obvious ? Big Grin
Quote this message in a reply
26-05-2011, 01:05 PM
(26-05-2011 12:42 PM)Srikar_NBK Wrote:  
(26-05-2011 10:51 AM)sy2502 Wrote:  
(25-05-2011 08:30 PM)Senseeker Wrote:  @ sy2502:
Your situation did sound tough, I know how fanatical Jehovah's witnesses can be.I can't imagine going door to door trying to sell a religion that you don't even believe in. Are you still in that position?
No, this was a long time ago, thankfully it's all behind me. One thing that always amazes me is how uninterested my parents are in whether I am happier now than I was when forced to participate in their religion. You'd think one of the first questions they'd ask would be "are you happy now?" or "are you happier now?". But I don't remember ever hearing this question.

I think they already deduced that your happier now and didn't see any point asking. Why ask a question when the answer is obvious ? Big Grin

Actually, I think it's the opposite... I mean, living "in the grace of god" HAS GOT to be the happiest way of living, to a fundie, right?
And besides, why would they still try to get me back into their religion if they thought I was happy now? Fundies have a twisted sort of thought process unfortunately.

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-05-2011, 01:40 PM
Well , here's a delayed welcome.
Welcome to the forum and I hope you feel at home here. I did go through something similar you described in highschool. I was at a religious high-school and we had mandatory religious presentations ( passing no short of brain-washing) . It was very frustrating and annoying , even for a moderate religious person which I was back then. A solution to the problem I found very appealing was an MP3 player and Slayer. Deprograms almost instantly Big Grin

Also , your situation puzzles me. You said you were 19 - aren't you legally an adult not bound in any way by your parents ? Are they threatning you with violence or something ?

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
26-05-2011, 03:43 PM
(26-05-2011 01:40 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Well , here's a delayed welcome.
Welcome to the forum and I hope you feel at home here. I did go through something similar you described in highschool. I was at a religious high-school and we had mandatory religious presentations ( passing no short of brain-washing) . It was very frustrating and annoying , even for a moderate religious person which I was back then. A solution to the problem I found very appealing was an MP3 player and Slayer. Deprograms almost instantly Big Grin

Also , your situation puzzles me. You said you were 19 - aren't you legally an adult not bound in any way by your parents ? Are they threatning you with violence or something ?

Thank you gaglamesh, your not late!Big Grin
That sounds pretty awful, school for me is the only place I could escape from religious conversation. It must have sucked to have it invade your education like that. Glad you survived it.Smile Yes I am 19 but I am still bound financially. My parents pay for University, and I live at their house over the summer. They don't threaten me with violence, but they do have strong leverage over me. My parents have the "my house, my rules" mentality and unfortunately that applies in the realm of religion.
27-05-2011, 05:07 AM
You could just tell them your gay. give them something else to think about. Tongue
Is it safe assuming that baptist still means homophobic, or do I need to F5 my stereotypes?

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
27-05-2011, 07:10 AM
Quote:They don't threaten me with violence, but they do have strong leverage over me.
That's a relief. I'm glad you're ok. Yeah , forgot about the monetary thing - my mistake. Do you have free tuition for good grades at your University ? Or some support with living conditions ?
What about talking to friends who share your beliefs or at least respect them - could you share an apartment ?

I'm just throwing ideas around.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
27-05-2011, 07:34 AM

Hey! Smile I'm also new to this site and like you, I'm also an atheist with theists as parents. The difference? I'm only 15 and I think I'm having it tougher. I'm one of the 0.3% of people in the Philippines who consider themselves as atheists and I hate it.

I came out as an atheist just last year, a week before Christmas. My mom didn't take it well, she wanted to debate with me and when you think you were winning she ultimately said "IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE IN GOD THEN GET OUT OF MY HOUSE!". I apologize for the all-caps, I figured it best describes what she said. Out of anger I punched the nearest object I saw. Out of HER anger she punched and slapped ME. Saying "HOW DARE YOU! DON'T EVER TRY TO PUNCH ME!" in Tagalog. It makes no sense. . . It enrages me bit by bit just remembering the moment. Finally, Dad came out and I thought I was saved. Turns out, he just stood there and watched me leave crying out of the house. The next day I went to the police and told them the story, what did they do?! They just called up my Mom and told her to take me back! THAT'S IT!!! Angry

A few days passed and out of anger I stole money from my Mom. She found out, and I was screwed. I told her my reason, and you know what she told me? "Whatever I did wrong I'm sorry" I'm not good with that. Why? because it means she didn't know what she did wrong. It makes my life a living hell.

Now my Grandparents moved to our village (which is a bad thing). They know I don't go to church but they don't know I'm an atheist. So every week at least one day of EVERY week they barge in to my house, wake me up, and sermon me about their bearded fairy from above. It drives me nuts because I don't want to tell them I'm an atheist in fear that they might take it badly and have a heart attack or something.

To make matters worst, everyone around me at school is either Christian, Catholic, or a Muslim. I often get criticized about how I can live life with the feeling of going to hell.

Luckily for me, I already have some followers from school. My little brother is an atheist now and I'm so proud of him. Now I'm dedicated to turn this country moral. Someday, I'm going to run for President, act like a theist, and ultimately turn this country atheistic.

Smile
Quote this message in a reply
27-05-2011, 08:03 AM
(23-05-2011 11:45 PM)Senseeker Wrote:  Hello,
I am new to this site but a long time non believer. Unfortunately I am young and still under the reign of my extremely religious parents. I am 19, attend university but am currently in the summer break and at home. I am forced to got to church every Sunday, even though I have explained that I dislike coming to church, and have hinted at my Atheism. Well today I came out as an atheist, and though I'm proud of myself for doing so, there are GREAT repercussions that I will face in the future. My mom will not "give up" on me, and I will be punished...

My question is, has anyone else gone through this? Young, Atheist, and forced to continue religious rituals and condemned for your non belief? Please leave no details out, this is a very hard time for me and I want to here everything you have to say.

Thank you,
Senseeker

When I was younger I had a similar situation. My mother was a devout Mormon and forced me to go to church on Sundays, young mormons society bi-weekly, and a daily semiary class every morning before school. Had appeasing my mother simply meant waking up once a week and day dreaming through Sunday school I might have been more willing to give in. ( BTW- I wasn't even saying that I didn't believe in god at this point--only that I wanted to study other religions and decide for myself - I had found many contradictions inside of the Mormon religion that I found disturbing ) Anyhow, my refusal to go and to pretend to be Mormon ultimately got me kicked out of her house for a year in high school ( went to live with my father ) then she took me back in for my senior year but I had a week to find a place to stay once I graduated. My advice is to just keep your opinions to yourself on religion while you are dependent on your parents if at all possible. The harder you rebel the more of a issue it will become. Just tell them you are searching for the truth - that comes out softer than I do not believe -- IMHO

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang
27-05-2011, 08:07 AM
Hold on a minute. Either Senseeker or k37713 has to change profile picture. This is just confusing!

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
27-05-2011, 08:16 AM (This post was last modified: 27-05-2011 08:20 AM by seljusisk..)
(27-05-2011 08:03 AM)k37713 Wrote:  When I was younger I had a similar situation. My mother was a devout Mormon and forced me to go to church on Sundays, young mormons society bi-weekly, and a daily semiary class every morning before school. Had appeasing my mother simply meant waking up once a week and day dreaming through Sunday school I might have been more willing to give in. ( BTW- I wasn't even saying that I didn't believe in god at this point--only that I wanted to study other religions and decide for myself - I had found many contradictions inside of the Mormon religion that I found disturbing ) Anyhow, my refusal to go and to pretend to be Mormon ultimately got me kicked out of her house for a year in high school ( went to live with my father ) then she took me back in for my senior year but I had a week to find a place to stay once I graduated. My advice is to just keep your opinions to yourself on religion while you are dependent on your parents if at all possible. The harder you rebel the more of a issue it will become. Just tell them you are searching for the truth - that comes out softer than I do not believe -- IMHO

my family has been mormon all my life, and im still going to seminary now, though i am trying to get people to think about things (but its at 6 in the morning so no ones is really listening to anything anyway). i think im going to tell my family this summer that im atheist. the only thing holding me back is that my dad really leans on the church because my mom died a while ago, so i don't really want to say to him "hey dad, im atheist, so i don't believe in god, i dont think you'll ever see mom again and im not going to church any more. by the way should we have pineapple chicken for dinner or mac n cheese?" my dad is a reasonable person so if he did stop to think about it, i dont think he would believe any of it any more, but he really needs something to help him cope. (for lack of a better expression, lol) god know my sister dont give a damn about him.

Google is one of my best friends Heart