Young and Atheist with Christian parents

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-05-2011, 08:53 AM
RE: Young and Atheist with Christian parents
(27-05-2011 08:16 AM)seljusisk. Wrote:  
(27-05-2011 08:03 AM)k37713 Wrote:  When I was younger I had a similar situation. My mother was a devout Mormon and forced me to go to church on Sundays, young mormons society bi-weekly, and a daily semiary class every morning before school. Had appeasing my mother simply meant waking up once a week and day dreaming through Sunday school I might have been more willing to give in. ( BTW- I wasn't even saying that I didn't believe in god at this point--only that I wanted to study other religions and decide for myself - I had found many contradictions inside of the Mormon religion that I found disturbing ) Anyhow, my refusal to go and to pretend to be Mormon ultimately got me kicked out of her house for a year in high school ( went to live with my father ) then she took me back in for my senior year but I had a week to find a place to stay once I graduated. My advice is to just keep your opinions to yourself on religion while you are dependent on your parents if at all possible. The harder you rebel the more of a issue it will become. Just tell them you are searching for the truth - that comes out softer than I do not believe -- IMHO

my family has been mormon all my life, and im still going to seminary now, though i am trying to get people to think about things (but its at 6 in the morning so no ones is really listening to anything anyway). i think im going to tell my family this summer that im atheist. the only thing holding me back is that my dad really leans on the church because my mom died a while ago, so i don't really want to say to him "hey dad, im atheist, so i don't believe in god, i dont think you'll ever see mom again and im not going to church any more. by the way should we have pineapple chicken for dinner or mac n cheese?" my dad is a reasonable person so if he did stop to think about it, i dont think he would believe any of it any more, but he really needs something to help him cope. (for lack of a better expression, lol) god know my sister dont give a damn about him.

I think there are more gentle ways of saying that you do not believe the same things. You don't necessarily have to "come out" as an atheist ( by the way that term in this situation is giving me a serious case of the giggles ) Also, you don't have to lead with the more harsh implications that your lack of belief means for him.
Just explain your doubts in his beliefs and tell him your rational thoughts on the subject - when the conversation comes up naturally. Coming across that u have the absolute truth of non exsistence in your first conversation about the subject will only make it seem like your mind is as closed as a theist. You could make it an open discussion and simply ask questions instead of claiming to know the answers.

OHH and-- I've tried to change my avatar several times. For some reason it is not letting me add a picture?!

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-05-2011, 09:00 AM

I think there are more gentle ways of saying that you do not believe the same things. You don't necessarily have to "come out" as an atheist ( by the way that term in this situation is giving me a serious case of the giggles ) Also, you don't have to lead with the more harsh implications that your lack of belief means for him.
Just explain your doubts in his beliefs and tell him your rational thoughts on the subject - when the conversation comes up naturally. Coming across that u have the absolute truth of non exsistence in your first conversation about the subject will only make it seem like your mind is as closed as a theist. You could make it an open discussion and simply ask questions instead of claiming to know the answers.

OHH and-- I've tried to change my avatar several times. For some reason it is not letting me add a picture?!
[/quote]

it was suppose to be a little comical Big Grin. but no i wouldn't say it to him like that, that would be vary vary mean of me. my reasons for why i dont believe are pretty logical, and him being just as logical would probably come to the same conclusion. and i just don't want him to lose what helps hims cope most.

Google is one of my best friends Heart
27-05-2011, 09:19 AM
(27-05-2011 09:00 AM)seljusisk. Wrote:  
(27-05-2011 08:53 AM)k37713 Wrote:  

it was suppose to be a little comical Big Grin. but no i wouldn't say it to him like that, that would be vary vary mean of me. my reasons for why i dont believe are pretty logical, and him being just as logical would probably come to the same conclusion. and i just don't want him to lose what helps hims cope most.
[/quote]

that is understandable Smile

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang
27-05-2011, 11:27 PM (This post was last modified: 27-05-2011 11:32 PM by Senseeker.)
@ gaglamesh731
I don't think I could try renting an apartment. I don't have the money or the time to work enough to manage rent. I go to school away from home, so I think I'll just ride the summer out until I go back to university. Undecided

@Norseman
I'm honestly questioning my sexuality now, and I don't want to announce anything on the topic to my parents (even if it is just as a distraction.) Doing so would make it worse, it would just be a double whammy, which would mean double trouble.

Oh and yeah I changed my profile pic, I couldn't put any of my own pics up, so I just chose the preset butterflyTongue

@SumAtheosMagnos
I'm sorry to hear that admitting your disbelief led to violence. It really sucks that religion can hurt family ties the way that it does, and the police response was terrible. Congrats on your sibling taking your side, its always nice to have support when you stand up for your ideas.Smile
28-05-2011, 04:36 AM
@SumAtheosMagnus
There comes a time in every persons life when they need to be thought that pushers get pushed. Your mother obviously has not been thought this lesson yet.
I have friends who come from abusive households, and they all tell the same story. The violence only stops when the parents find out that they can't get away with it anymore.
The next time you mother hits you, hit her back. Hit her once, and hit her hard. She'll think twice next time.

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
28-05-2011, 04:38 AM

(28-05-2011 04:36 AM)Norseman Wrote:  @SumAtheosMagnus
There comes a time in every persons life when they need to be thought that pushers get pushed. Your mother obviously has not been thought this lesson yet.
I have friends who come from abusive households, and they all tell the same story. The violence only stops when the parents find out that they can't get away with it anymore.
The next time you mother hits you, hit her back. Hit her once, and hit her hard. She'll think twice next time.

Lol, I don't think I can do that. From what I've learned, I don't have the nerve to hit a girl even if I'm at MMA classes. I just can't.
Quote this message in a reply
28-05-2011, 04:52 AM
(28-05-2011 04:38 AM)SumAtheosMagnus Wrote:  
(28-05-2011 04:36 AM)Norseman Wrote:  @SumAtheosMagnus

Lol, I don't think I can do that. From what I've learned, I don't have the nerve to hit a girl even if I'm at MMA classes. I just can't.

Your loss I guess.
But if your in to MMA, I'm assuming your not a wuss? There are ways of letting her know that you COULD retaliate, without actually doing so. All you need is for her to be aware enough of the possible consequences, that she doesn't try it again. Since respect for you as an individual clearly isn't enough I mean.

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
28-05-2011, 04:55 AM

[/quote]

Your loss I guess.
But if your in to MMA, I'm assuming your not a wuss? There are ways of letting her know that you COULD retaliate, without actually doing so. All you need is for her to be aware enough of the possible consequences, that she doesn't try it again. Since respect for you as an individual clearly isn't enough I mean.
[/quote]

yeah.
Anyway, just 3 more years and I'm off to college so yeah.
Haha yeah but even if I know MMA and I use it on her she will only see me as the bad guy and not as the abused defender. She sees everything as "I'm right, you're wrong" way. Typical parents. . .
28-05-2011, 06:45 AM
(27-05-2011 11:27 PM)Senseeker Wrote:  @ gaglamesh731
I don't think I could try renting an apartment. I don't have the money or the time to work enough to manage rent. I go to school away from home, so I think I'll just ride the summer out until I go back to university. Undecided

I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe you could get some friends to help you out or something ? I hope you can spend the summer on a holiday or something so you don't have to go through more trouble ... Sad

By the way , if it's any consolation , you're not alone. Here's a video describing a situation similar in some way to yours :

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
28-05-2011, 07:01 AM

(28-05-2011 06:45 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  
(27-05-2011 11:27 PM)Senseeker Wrote:  @ gaglamesh731

I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe you could get some friends to help you out or something ? I hope you can spend the summer on a holiday or something so you don't have to go through more trouble ... Sad

By the way , if it's any consolation , you're not alone. Here's a video describing a situation similar in some way to yours :

After watching the video, I had really no idea what the guy was talking about. This R2D2 with the lei on its head made things very confusing to me. Dodgy

*edit*

Minimizing the window works wonders! Big Grin