Young and Atheist with Christian parents

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-05-2011, 08:30 AM
RE: Young and Atheist with Christian parents
Quote:After watching the video, I had really no idea what the guy was talking about
High school student going through enormous crap for coming out as an atheist and challenging his public school's policy of prayer.
http://www.godlessliberals.com/index.php...&Itemid=56
http://www.alternet.org/story/151086/hig...ned?page=1

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-05-2011, 08:33 AM

i'm sorry i can't help!

but all i did to "come out" as an atheist was to put it on facebook(my parents stalk my profile). my parents had my siblings asked me if i was not religious and it turned out my brother's not and both my sisters are agnostic. my dad's also agnostic and my mother's christian, but neither of them mind me being atheist.

that's my story, though! i "came out" 4 years after i became atheist, if that means anything.
Quote this message in a reply
28-05-2011, 01:59 PM
(28-05-2011 04:38 AM)SumAtheosMagnus Wrote:  
(28-05-2011 04:36 AM)Norseman Wrote:  @SumAtheosMagnus
There comes a time in every persons life when they need to be thought that pushers get pushed. Your mother obviously has not been thought this lesson yet.
I have friends who come from abusive households, and they all tell the same story. The violence only stops when the parents find out that they can't get away with it anymore.
The next time you mother hits you, hit her back. Hit her once, and hit her hard. She'll think twice next time.

Lol, I don't think I can do that. From what I've learned, I don't have the nerve to hit a girl even if I'm at MMA classes. I just can't.
I don't recommend hitting her, especially if you have a dad/stepfather in the household. The next time she tries to hit you, either block her before she hits you, or take the hit and pretend it didn't do anything to you.

The God excuse: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument. "God did it." Anything we can't describe must have come from God. - George Carlin

Whenever I'm asked "What if you're wrong?", I always show the asker this video: http://youtu.be/iClejS8vWjo Screw Pascal's wager.
28-05-2011, 02:51 PM
Pacifism! *shudder*

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
28-05-2011, 03:53 PM
(28-05-2011 02:51 PM)Norseman Wrote:  Pacifism! *shudder*
No, seriously, hitting her back would fuel the fire. As a kid, my mother used to slap me whenever I did something she didn't like (fortunately not that often), and one day when I was about 13 I took the slap and simply did a "brush off" motion on my cheek. She felt humiliated and never attempted to hit me ever again.

It's like trying to get away from a swarm of bees, if you freak out and run or wave your arms to fight back, they'll sting you a lot more than they would if you stayed calm.

The God excuse: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument. "God did it." Anything we can't describe must have come from God. - George Carlin

Whenever I'm asked "What if you're wrong?", I always show the asker this video: http://youtu.be/iClejS8vWjo Screw Pascal's wager.
31-05-2011, 10:57 AM
(28-05-2011 03:53 PM)Efrx86 Wrote:  
(28-05-2011 02:51 PM)Norseman Wrote:  Pacifism! *shudder*
No, seriously, hitting her back would fuel the fire. As a kid, my mother used to slap me whenever I did something she didn't like (fortunately not that often), and one day when I was about 13 I took the slap and simply did a "brush off" motion on my cheek. She felt humiliated and never attempted to hit me ever again.

It's like trying to get away from a swarm of bees, if you freak out and run or wave your arms to fight back, they'll sting you a lot more than they would if you stayed calm.

In with everyone else saying physically abusive people are cowards, and will continue to abuse only as long as they can get away with it! My mother was exceptionally abusive, but one day when she raised her hands to hit me I simply grabbed her by the wrists and blocked her. Oh boy was she mad!!! But she never tried to hit me again. As I say they are fundamentally cowards who only take it on those weaker than they.

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
08-10-2011, 09:46 AM
(23-05-2011 11:45 PM)Senseeker Wrote:  Hello,
I am new to this site but a long time non believer. Unfortunately I am young and still under the reign of my extremely religious parents. I am 19, attend university but am currently in the summer break and at home. I am forced to got to church every Sunday, even though I have explained that I dislike coming to church, and have hinted at my Atheism. Well today I came out as an atheist, and though I'm proud of myself for doing so, there are GREAT repercussions that I will face in the future. My mom will not "give up" on me, and I will be punished...

My question is, has anyone else gone through this? Young, Atheist, and forced to continue religious rituals and condemned for your non belief? Please leave no details out, this is a very hard time for me and I want to here everything you have to say.

Thank you,
Senseeker

I myself am a young Atheist in a religious household. I am currently 14 and have been an Atheist since I was 10. When I told my parents I was an Atheist, they got really mad, and drug me to church. Even though my parents are not very religious, they still believe god is real, and want me to think the same. Every couple of days my mom asks me if i have accepted the "truth" that god is real yet. My relatives keep telling me that they are praying for my "soul", and giving me bibles. After a while of my parents telling me that god loves me, they finally go the hint that i will not give in to their bullshit. My extended family keeps at it though. It was a very hard time for me too, but after about a year I realized that there is no use being unhappy, and started talking on blogs and chat rooms with other atheists/agnostics my age. I realized I was not alone, and stopped being unhappy. I hope you can finda way to get happy also.Big Grin

I am going to hell because i dare to question bronze-age goat herders, and think for myself.
~Me~

I am not smarter than religious people because I have a better understanding of science than them. I am smarter because I know I am not going to live forever, and I am happy with that.
~Me~
08-10-2011, 04:59 PM
Yea, this happened to me as well. My parents are muslims and "very" religious. I once gave them a hint about my atheism, then suddenly I was attending lectures every Friday. I also have to go to the mosque with my dad every Friday to listen to some Imam who thinks that wearing jeans and T-shirts must be forbidden in muslim countries, part of the suffering is the islamic studies class at school where you can the nonsense beliefs being taught as scientific facts.
So, at least you're at college and you don't have to suffer from god's fanclub as much as I have to.
btw, I can't show my atheism here because the penalty for apostasy in Islam is death, apart from the endless death threats I would get.
08-10-2011, 05:11 PM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2011 05:17 PM by GirlyMan.)
(08-10-2011 04:59 PM)CONFUSED Wrote:  ... part of the suffering is the islamic studies class at school where you can the nonsense beliefs being taught as scientific facts.

You don't need to suffer it. Change your perspective and look at it as grand theater instead.

(08-10-2011 04:59 PM)CONFUSED Wrote:  btw, I can't show my atheism here because the penalty for apostasy in Islam is death, apart from the endless death threats I would get.

I feel no reason or compulsion to announce my atheism, and I don't even have the incentives not to like you do. The people who know I am an atheist asked in one way or another (usually, but not always, from them proselytizing to me). I see no reason you can't continue to be a good Muslim and go to Mosque regularly while still being an atheist. ... Hell there's probably a shitload just like you in your Mosque.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
08-10-2011, 10:26 PM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2011 10:39 PM by Thomas.)
You must avoid this at all cost for the sake of your child's future mental health. Psychologists will tell you that the young mind is predisposed to believe anything an adult tells them, even the most crazy stuff. Read up for yourself.

Tell the folks that you want her to wait until she is old enough to decide for herself on a religious path.

I will bet my last dollar that their preacher is telling them to get the child away from you and bring her to church. They are writing you off as Hell destined and their mission now is to save the child.

You can have some fun with this. Here is what I did. I started passionately reading the bible every night. They were so proud of me getting into it. Then I started asking the questions. In Genesis do you believe that it was ok for Abraham to marry his half sister then pimp here out to the Pharaoh for goats, sheet and slaves?

Do you condone slavery? Apparently the bible does. It actually tells you how to ethically beat your slave. You can beat him to the point of not being able to get up for 2 days, any more is too much.

Can snakes really talk?

All the while inviting them to join you in reading the bible.