Your Earthly Remains?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-01-2011, 12:50 PM
Your Earthly Remains?
So has anybody left specific instructions for their funerals or for the way you want your body disposed of?

The way I see it, it doesn't matter to me what happens to my body after i am gone, however, it is an opportunity to make one last statement. I have a playlist of songs for my viewing. Instructions for my wake that includes a ban on any mention of God or Jesus. My specific instructions are, "Nobody gets to say anything about Jesus. He's had 2000 years worth of funerals. It's my turn."

As for my body, I want to be cremated then have the ashes divided into thirds. One third is to be buried on the family plot at the local cemetery with a small non-religious marker. A second third is to be sprinkled into the Ohio river from a local pier I enjoy fishing from. The final third is to be incorporated into a large suet and seed ball, taken to the national aviary, and left for the birds to eat. I know it sounds bizarre, but there's a reason for it.

The ancients taught of four elements, earth, fire, water and air. Cremation is known as burial by fire. Obviously, burial in the ground is an earth burial and sprinkling in the water is - duh - burial by water. The last is a little more out there. In the Himalayas they cannot bury bodies in the ground, so they leave them for the birds and call it burial by air.

Honestly, if all they did was cremate me and bury the ashes on the family plot, I'd be fine with that. My dad was "disposed' of that way and I find it comforting to have a place to visit and remember him.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-01-2011, 01:14 PM

RE: Your Earthly Remains?
I have no special requests as whatever happens at that point is for the comfort of those I leave behind. I'll make it quite clear that I'm 100% ok with being cremated for as cheaply at can be done. Anything above and beyond that is for the living.

gamutman, you should check to see if any of that stuff you want done with your ashes is even legal. I don't know what is and isn't, but I've had people tell me it is illegal to sprinkle ashes in many places.

It would be cool to made into a diamond!
Quote this message in a reply
10-01-2011, 01:22 PM
My son wants his ashes compressed into a diamond. He also plans to sit for a bust sculpture with the teeth exposed and then he wants the diamond placed between the teeth.

It's legal to keep the ashes of the dead, so it would be very difficult for the law to prevent any of the things I'm requesting.
10-01-2011, 02:38 PM
(10-01-2011 12:50 PM)gamutman Wrote:  A second third is to be sprinkled into the Ohio river from a local pier I enjoy fishing from.
Fellow Ohioan? Whether yea or nay, well met sir. I do not have instructions for my remains yet, but my idea is to be cremated and saved by the family. I will have a list of places I have never gone but always wanted to, with instructions that the keeper of my ashes should sprinkle me there, if they have the chance and it is legal.

I looked into green burials, but I think the entire burial thing is a waste of time and space, no matter how earth friendly you try to make it.
10-01-2011, 02:41 PM

Use my body for science. Or piss on it. I'll be dead (though I prefer if you used it for science).
Quote this message in a reply
10-01-2011, 02:58 PM
(10-01-2011 02:41 PM)TruthAddict Wrote:  Use my body for science. Or piss on it. I'll be dead (though I prefer if you used it for science).

That was my original intent. However, my fiancee, who is an atheist (tried dating theists...I don't go there anymore) is still uncomfortable with the usage of my entire body for science. So, I have an organ donor card for them to take what they can use, and burn the rest.
10-01-2011, 03:08 PM
(10-01-2011 01:22 PM)gamutman Wrote:  My son wants his ashes compressed into a diamond.

There is a method of doing that that requires high explosives. It doesn't create jewelry diamonds, just industrial diamonds.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
10-01-2011, 03:09 PM
There was a previous thread similar to this, but I suspect it's buried pretty deep by now. (Haha...get it? Groan)

My instructions are to be cremated, dump my ashes into a hole in the ground, and plant a tree in it. That way when people find the need to "visit" me to grieve, they can water the tree, and one day, sit under it in the shade and take a nap. I have been looking into the legalities of composting my body (I've seen animals as large as cows composted quickly, cleanly, and with very little odor) so it will feed the tree that much better. All that is to be done after my body is used for science. Every last bit they can use. Even if it's to experiment with how much poop you can stuff into a human carcass. As long as it belefits someone, somehow, I don't care.

Worst case scenario for me? Putting me into a lead lined coffin so my body is preserved to lie next to a bunch of other "lovingly preserved" bodies. Just don't do it. I'll defy everything I believe, come back from the dead, and bitch slap the motherfucker who did that to me.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
10-01-2011, 03:25 PM
my ex once told me that if I don't die on my tour of duty than she wants me buried. I told her if thats the case I'll make sure to get hit with as many RPG's as I can in my last dying breath.
I'm not in the whole burial thing. I'm a donor though, if theres anything they can use when I'm dead they're free to take it.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
10-01-2011, 05:13 PM
The University of Tennessee has a "body farm" where they take corpses and study how they decompose for the furtherance of forensic science. If I can get myself a spot on a hill in some shade, I think that's for me.

The only real draw back to it is I'm not sure I really want my remains in the American south. Too many Jesus freaks and all. Plus, the only football I'll be able to get is SEC football, and I'm more of a Big 10 guy. But, if I can get past all that, I'd consider leaving my remains there.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost