Your Favorite Beers; Everyday, Top Shelf, & Style.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-05-2014, 09:56 AM
RE: Your Favorite Beers; Everyday, Top Shelf, & Style.
Whenever I'm over in The Netherlands or Belgium I always try to find a few bottles of Westvleteren beer. It a Trappist beer from Belgium and one of my favorites.

[Image: 1C4JxR2.jpg]

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
11-07-2014, 08:15 PM
I'm compiling a list from this for my first trip to a liquor store after I turn 21. Not long to go.
12-07-2014, 01:35 PM
Mine is any cold one open in front of me lol, me being 20 and from the US drinking is not really "legal" for me so I have only had a few but I really don't have a favorite.

[Image: signature_zpsnt9lgpgg.gif]
12-07-2014, 02:51 PM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2014 02:59 PM by Mathilda.)
I love Scottish beer. Low on hops. The same lovely peaty water which makes the whisky world-renowned. These are the three which I always top up with when I get back to Scotland. Although I did find out about a shop selling them in Frankfurt so it would be worthwhile hiring a car to make a trip some day and stocking up again.

Innis & Gunn comes in small bottles although you can also buy a larger bottle for twice the price. Alcohol is about 8% from what I remember. It's unlike any other beer and definitely the best I have ever tasted.

[Image: innis-gunn-2010-highland-cask.jpg]

Another favourite is Heather ale which is quite light and refreshing with a very distinctive taste.

[Image: fraoch3.jpg]

And finally Dark Island ale. Very smooth with a very peaty taste.

[Image: 3131397318_9bfe51e35a.jpg]

The best German beer I have tasted is:

[Image: K%C3%B6stritzer_Schwarzbier,_2010.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
12-07-2014, 04:04 PM
(12-07-2014 02:51 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  Innis & Gunn comes in small bottles although you can also buy a larger bottle for twice the price. Alcohol is about 8% from what I remember. It's unlike any other beer and definitely the best I have ever tasted.

There's nothing else like cask-aged beer, that's why. Mostly scotch casks in their case, but not exclusively (I know they have a rum-aged style). Actually they made a Canada Day special edition for export here a few times... There are a number of Canadian craft beers made the same way - Nickel Brook had a fantastic blend aged in bourbon casks.

(12-07-2014 02:51 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  Another favourite is Heather ale which is quite light and refreshing with a very distinctive taste.

[Image: fraoch3.jpg]

Wouldn't you know I bought some of that very stuff today. It turns up from time to time in Ontario; go figure.

That's a style I'm quite fond of, too. And all of the other "huck in whatever clippings we took from the bush out back" beer styles. Heather, spruce, pine, juniper, whatever's on hand... There's another Ontario brewery who makes some very good scotch ales; the aptly named Highlander brewery.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
12-07-2014, 04:07 PM
(12-07-2014 01:35 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Mine is any cold one open in front of me lol, me being 20 and from the US drinking is not really "legal" for me so I have only had a few but I really don't have a favorite.

For my American cousin's 18th birthday we flew him to Montreal (drinking age: 18). Do you live near the border?
Big Grin

12-07-2014, 04:15 PM
(12-07-2014 04:07 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(12-07-2014 01:35 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Mine is any cold one open in front of me lol, me being 20 and from the US drinking is not really "legal" for me so I have only had a few but I really don't have a favorite.

For my American cousin's 18th birthday we flew him to Montreal (drinking age: 18). Do you live near the border?
Big Grin

Michigan lol I could drive there but need the money.

12-07-2014, 04:22 PM
(12-07-2014 04:15 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(12-07-2014 04:07 PM)cjlr Wrote:  For my American cousin's 18th birthday we flew him to Montreal (drinking age: 18). Do you live near the border?
Big Grin

Michigan lol I could drive there but need the money.

A bus to Detroit or Sault wouldn't be more than $50 from anywhere in the state. Then you can just walk across the border.

12-07-2014, 04:37 PM
(12-07-2014 04:22 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(12-07-2014 04:15 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Michigan lol I could drive there but need the money.

A bus to Detroit or Sault wouldn't be more than $50 from anywhere in the state. Then you can just walk across the border.

I don't have even $2 lol

12-07-2014, 06:08 PM
Small breweries producing unique beers are really thriving in the US these days. Even in my godforsaken area of the country I can find any number of new ones to try at any time. The US used to be the worst place in the world to drink beer, but that is changing rapidly now.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man