Your Favorite Everyday Invention

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-08-2016, 10:25 AM
RE: Your Favorite Everyday Invention
(05-08-2016 10:15 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(05-08-2016 10:02 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Recorded music. 100 years ago, if you wanted to hear music, you either made it yourself, or you went to a concert -- and if you didn't happen to live in a major metropolis, the concert would be some local guys who might or might not be any good -- and it might be available once a week or once a month.

Today, I can listen to world-class musicians playing all kinds of music -- classical, jazz, rock, blues, folk, etc. -- at any time of the day or night, in the comfort of my own home, just by popping a CD in the player (yeah, I know that's old-school technology these days, but it's till my technology of choice). People take this for granted, but it is a wonderful thing for those of us who love music.

Mechanical music boxes were around longer than that.....

I suppose, but not that much longer, and the variety of recorded music available would have been very limited. If you were a contemporary of Bach, you would probably have never heard any of his music unless you lived in his town and went to his church. Now anyone with a CD player or internet connection can hear Bach's music (or just about anyone else's) any time they like. That is a huge improvement.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
05-08-2016, 10:28 AM
(04-08-2016 06:35 PM)pablo Wrote:  Toilet paper.

We can say all we want about Muslims, but there is merit in washing up after the fact. I'll run with bidet.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 1 user Likes tomilay's post
05-08-2016, 10:35 AM
The transistor.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
05-08-2016, 10:36 AM
(05-08-2016 10:01 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(05-08-2016 09:49 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  The wheel.

Did you know that the wheel isn't really that old. It only goes back to almost 3500 BC. For some reason I thought it went back much further.

This from Smithsonian web site.

The first wheels were not used for transportation.

Evidence indicates they were created to serve as potter’s wheels around 3500 B.C. in Mesopotamia—300 years before someone figured out to use them for chariots.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-na...21/?no-ist

Pottery huh? I'll look into this. For some reason I recall it being for grain.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
05-08-2016, 10:48 AM
Paper clips, white-out, and post-it-notes.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
05-08-2016, 11:10 AM
I'm going to second the vote for "the car." I can travel where I want, when I want, and take all manner of interesting stuff along. Currently I have a music stand and a conductor's podium in the trunk, but I also make a lot of trips to home improvement centres to pick up lumber and other materials. It's also a must-have if you want to schlep a bag of cat litter back to the house.

And it's just plain fun to jump in the car and go for coffee or snacks at some atrocious hour.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-08-2016, 11:43 AM
Electricity. Without controlling that, not much else was going to happen.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-08-2016, 11:51 AM
(05-08-2016 10:17 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Refrigeration / Air conditioning

Keeping yourself cool - and your food preserved is a monster of a time saver and the best of creature comforts...............

Clap

Yeah, this. Refrigeration/AC is why I'm not a heat-stroke-addled drooler crouching in the shade of a mesquite tree hoping for something to die near me so I can have a fresh meal. With this innovation, I have icy craft cider and am planning to have an oven on 10 feet from my bedroom for 2 1/2 hours today and still sleep comfortably tonight.

Refrigeration edges out indoor plumbing by a nanometer. One. Running water so ubiquitous that calling it "on tap" is literally redundant is so fucking awesome I am sometimes in awe of how lucky I am to have it in multiple (air conditioned Big Grin) rooms.
05-08-2016, 11:54 AM
It sure would be difficult to use Item A after a week or two without Item B:

A
[Image: fender-american-standard-stratocaster-el...00x272.jpg]

B
[Image: 41v4SOAAfyL.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like Mr. Boston's post
05-08-2016, 04:18 PM
rope/string is pretty important. Without them, the first complex tools would not have been possible.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post