Your Favorite Everyday Invention

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-08-2016, 04:30 PM
RE: Your Favorite Everyday Invention
Thanks for the answers everyone, I think I should've been more clear. I was wondering what you like that is common, not something Earth shattering like the internet, like an everyday item like a hair brush or a spoon or a measuring cup...you get the idea. I just got struck with it yesterday b/c I was watching videos by this guy who recreates primitive techonology:

I just thought about how hard it was for early humans to do something simple and now we just take it for granted but someone at some point had to think of it and now we all use it and it's nice to just stop and appreciate it.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes SitaSky's post
05-08-2016, 04:31 PM
(05-08-2016 10:17 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Refrigeration / Air conditioning

Keeping yourself cool - and your food preserved is a monster of a time saver and the best of creature comforts...............

Clap

Without air conditioning Las Vegas wouldn't exist, and without Las Vegas Wayne Newton's tacky lounge act wouldn't exist, and without Wayne Newton's tacky lounge act black hair dye for men would go out of business.

[Image: newton-wayne-160-2016.jpg]

Rolleyes

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
05-08-2016, 06:51 PM
Polystyrene coffee cup.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 2 users Like Marozz's post
05-08-2016, 07:37 PM
(05-08-2016 04:30 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  Thanks for the answers everyone, I think I should've been more clear. I was wondering what you like that is common, not something Earth shattering like the internet, like an everyday item like a hair brush or a spoon or a measuring cup...you get the idea. I just got struck with it yesterday b/c I was watching videos by this guy who recreates primitive techonology:

I just thought about how hard it was for early humans to do something simple and now we just take it for granted but someone at some point had to think of it and now we all use it and it's nice to just stop and appreciate it.

OK... If we're talking "low tech" -- I'd have to opt for the cup in an athletic supporter for men............

If you've ever played paintball without one - and took a hit to the nads -- you'd understand......

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
05-08-2016, 07:58 PM
I'm going to go with penicillin. By some estimates 75% of the people alive today would never have been born because their ancestors would have died from infections without antibiotics.

A close second for fossil fuels. Once again most of the people alive today wouldn't be here without the cheap energy provided by fossil fuels.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post
06-08-2016, 12:35 AM
Hi,

My favourite invention at the moment is the Titanium Spork. Some fish and chip shops here in the UK provide flimsy plastic forks with the meal and I was unfortunate enough to swallow one of the splines from a damaged one. Its probably still in me somewhere.

Now, my trusty titanium spork is in my bag at all times. A great comfort.

http://imagesrohan.s3.amazonaws.com/prod..._Large.jpg

D.
[+] 1 user Likes Dworkin's post
06-08-2016, 01:32 AM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2016 01:56 AM by Thumpalumpacus.)
The chair. After a long day at work, I can sink into a soft seat and relax. Nary a muscle has to do anything except my diaphragm and my heart -- otherwise, I can be a lump if I want to; or I can read a book, watch a vid I've downloaded, or have a good fap.

(05-08-2016 10:02 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Recorded music. 100 years ago, if you wanted to hear music, you either made it yourself, or you went to a concert -- and if you didn't happen to live in a major metropolis, the concert would be some local guys who might or might not be any good -- and it might be available once a week or once a month.

Today, I can listen to world-class musicians playing all kinds of music -- classical, jazz, rock, blues, folk, etc. -- at any time of the day or night, in the comfort of my own home, just by popping a CD in the player (yeah, I know that's old-school technology these days, but it's till my technology of choice). People take this for granted, but it is a wonderful thing for those of us who love music.

Recorded music is a double-edged sword. While it allows non-musicians and those living in the sticks to enjoy good stuff, it also serves as a bottleneck -- people think that if it isn't on a record it doesn't really "count", people think that if they themselves haven't made a recording they're not really a musician.

I'm about ready to go inside and play my guitar as I type this. I will provide my own entertainment, and hopefully grow my own mind at the same time.

Recordings are great in that they do bring part of the world to your doorstep, but they also put across the idea that if it isn't recorded, it isn't good. (Not always, not with everyone). That sense of elitism can be discouraging to new musicians.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
06-08-2016, 07:01 AM
(06-08-2016 12:35 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  Hi,

My favourite invention at the moment is the Titanium Spork. Some fish and chip shops here in the UK provide flimsy plastic forks with the meal and I was unfortunate enough to swallow one of the splines from a damaged one. Its probably still in me somewhere.

Now, my trusty titanium spork is in my bag at all times. A great comfort.

http://imagesrohan.s3.amazonaws.com/prod..._Large.jpg

D.
I'd settle for 400 series stainless steel....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
06-08-2016, 07:26 AM
Anaesthetic
[+] 3 users Like adey67's post
06-08-2016, 08:03 AM
Clothing.

Our species couldn't have migrated out of sub-Saharan Africa without it, imagine how much of the planet would be uninhabitable without it.

Protects your from heat or cold, wind, rain, snow, etc... Can protect you from ticks, poison ivy, wasps, mosquitoes (thus also hampering the spread of some diseases) etc.. you get the idea.

Can be used as an outward expression of your personality and identity, can denote "cultural rank or position/status" and "cultural affiliation"

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 2 users Like unsapien's post