Your Favorite Everyday Invention

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-08-2016, 09:41 AM
RE: Your Favorite Everyday Invention
(07-08-2016 07:50 AM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  My favorite invention may well be cow shit. It feels so great when squoze between the toes, and it helps to grow crops!

I've heard that you can use the dried version in leu of wood to cook with but I'm not sure about what kind of flavor that particular smoke would impart on your food. Mushrooms thrive in it too Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-08-2016, 11:06 AM
(04-08-2016 08:52 PM)Dom Wrote:  Heating/cooling. I love my AC today ...
(05-08-2016 10:17 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Refrigeration / Air conditioning...
(07-08-2016 06:59 AM)Loom Wrote:  Air-conditioning! And further more, refrigeration!...

(04-08-2016 09:22 PM)izel Wrote:  The electrical grid. ...
(04-08-2016 11:30 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Well, harnessing electricity...
(05-08-2016 11:43 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Electricity...

The written language has got to be one of humanity's greatest inventions because it leads to sharing of views and then interaction and conversation rather than just repetition... oh, wait, hang on!

(05-08-2016 04:30 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  Thanks for the answers everyone, I think I should've been more clear. I was wondering what you like that is common, not something Earth shattering like the internet, like an everyday item like a hair brush or a spoon or a measuring cup...you get the idea. I just got struck with it yesterday b/c I was watching videos by this guy who recreates primitive techonology:

I just thought about how hard it was for early humans to do something simple and now we just take it for granted but someone at some point had to think of it and now we all use it and it's nice to just stop and appreciate it.

That was impressive. I wonder how long it took (and how often he stopped because of wind and rain).

Perhaps there should also be a thread for "Everyday Inventions That Don't Go Together".

You offer a straw hut ... I match that.

[Image: match-burn-o.gif]

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
07-08-2016, 12:08 PM
(07-08-2016 07:50 AM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  My favorite invention may well be cow shit. It feels so great when squoze between the toes, and it helps to grow crops!

[Image: 46036140.jpg]

A man collects dried cow dung on the banks of the Ganges river in Varanasi.

—I think rubber gloves would be this bloke's favourite invention LOL.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
07-08-2016, 12:09 PM
(07-08-2016 12:08 PM)SYZ Wrote:  

[Image: 46036140.jpg]

A man collects dried cow dung on the banks of the Ganges river in Varanasi.

—I think rubber gloves would be this bloke's favourite invention LOL.

Goddamnit...I need to know why he is doing this. Dodgy

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
07-08-2016, 12:17 PM
Probably fuel.
07-08-2016, 01:24 PM
(06-08-2016 08:03 AM)unsapien Wrote:  Clothing.

Our species couldn't have migrated out of sub-Saharan Africa without it, imagine how much of the planet would be uninhabitable without it.

Protects your from heat or cold, wind, rain, snow, etc... Can protect you from ticks, poison ivy, wasps, mosquitoes (thus also hampering the spread of some diseases) etc.. you get the idea.

Can be used as an outward expression of your personality and identity, can denote "cultural rank or position/status" and "cultural affiliation"

Seriously. I had this thought yesterday before I knew this thread existed. While hiking back to camp from town, my thighs were chafing D: No wonder people invented pants/clothes. Is there anything worse than long-term chafing? ugh. I had to walk part of the way as if I had huge cojones.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post
07-08-2016, 04:44 PM
The griddle, and possibly the oven.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
08-08-2016, 08:42 AM
(06-08-2016 01:32 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  The chair. After a long day at work, I can sink into a soft seat and relax. Nary a muscle has to do anything except my diaphragm and my heart -- otherwise, I can be a lump if I want to; or I can read a book, watch a vid I've downloaded, or have a good fap.

(05-08-2016 10:02 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Recorded music. 100 years ago, if you wanted to hear music, you either made it yourself, or you went to a concert -- and if you didn't happen to live in a major metropolis, the concert would be some local guys who might or might not be any good -- and it might be available once a week or once a month.

Today, I can listen to world-class musicians playing all kinds of music -- classical, jazz, rock, blues, folk, etc. -- at any time of the day or night, in the comfort of my own home, just by popping a CD in the player (yeah, I know that's old-school technology these days, but it's till my technology of choice). People take this for granted, but it is a wonderful thing for those of us who love music.

Recorded music is a double-edged sword. While it allows non-musicians and those living in the sticks to enjoy good stuff, it also serves as a bottleneck -- people think that if it isn't on a record it doesn't really "count", people think that if they themselves haven't made a recording they're not really a musician.

I'm about ready to go inside and play my guitar as I type this. I will provide my own entertainment, and hopefully grow my own mind at the same time.

Recordings are great in that they do bring part of the world to your doorstep, but they also put across the idea that if it isn't recorded, it isn't good. (Not always, not with everyone). That sense of elitism can be discouraging to new musicians.

You have a point there. Kurt Vonnegut made a related point once about the downside of the "global village". In the old days, you could be a local big shot as a musician, writer, actor, whatever. But now people can easily compare you to the greatest artists in the world and conclude that you aren't so special after all. It's much harder to be a big fish in a small pond, because the small ponds have all merged into one big ocean.

Still -- I don't have the talent to make music good enough that I would want to listen to it. So I'm extremely grateful for the ease with which I can access the music of those who are talented enough.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
08-08-2016, 10:02 AM
(05-08-2016 10:02 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Recorded music. 100 years ago, if you wanted to hear music, you either made it yourself, or you went to a concert -- and if you didn't happen to live in a major metropolis, the concert would be some local guys who might or might not be any good -- and it might be available once a week or once a month.

Today, I can listen to world-class musicians playing all kinds of music -- classical, jazz, rock, blues, folk, etc. -- at any time of the day or night, in the comfort of my own home, just by popping a CD in the player (yeah, I know that's old-school technology these days, but it's till my technology of choice). People take this for granted, but it is a wonderful thing for those of us who love music.

Except perhaps for 8-track tapes. Tongue

But I agree it's a wonderful thing, especially for people like myself. I don't play any instruments and the best I could say about my singing is that it probably wouldn't make your ears bleed. Tongue

There are so many styles of music that I would never have heard if the ability to record it hadn't happened.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
08-08-2016, 10:47 AM
The rabbit dildo, when I was married and couldn't be bothered or was too tired I just used to say "go chase the rabbit" Tongue Big Grin Laugh out load
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post