First Post Last Post
Your Favorite God Argument
Like Post Quote
Drooling Talk about not helping...
Like Post Quote
Like Post Quote
(30-03-2013 12:30 AM)Egor Wrote:  In your opinion, what is the strongest argument for the existence of God--for you personally. I'm not saying you're convinced by it, I'm just asking out of all of them, which is your favorite?

Mine is an argument put forth by George Berkeley suggesting that conscious observation is required for things to exist.

What's yours? Shocking
I don't know what the motives are for asking this question, and I'm going to try not to think about what they might be, but it is actually a decent question. Anyway, I wonder if there might be a god when I read tales of life-after-death experiences. I believe these experiences to be the brain being starved of oxygen, and going through hallucinations as a result. I think the odds of life-after-death experiences being some spirit leaving the body to be about one in a million, or at least one in 500,000, which is not zero, just close to it.
Like Post Quote
Like Post Quote
My favorite is the Cosmological Argument, because even if I granted them every premise of it to be true, it would only argue for a deist god.

Which they seem to not notice
Like Post Quote
The Cosmological Argument is onlly an argument of "proximate" cause. Even if you grant them that the universe has to have a cause because it appears to be necessary by human logic, (to them), (..and BTW I never grant this as what is intuitively logical to humans has been proven NOT to be the nature of reality) ... even IF you grant that, it only means the the universe would have to have "a" cause. There is no reason the cause has to be an ultimate, (or god) cause. An omnipotent god could have created an infinite series of universe makers, each one making another generation. One of their petulant children could have made this universe. Ir's not an argument for anything.
Like Post Quote

Return to Top The Thinking Atheist - Home