Your Favorite History Based Movies

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-07-2014, 08:57 PM
RE: Your Favorite History Based Movies
I don't watch a lot of movies, but I say that Star Wars: A New Hope was the best historical film.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2014, 10:04 PM
(03-07-2014 02:49 AM)Dee Wrote:  Glory (1989)

"Glory is a celebration of a little-known act of mass courage during the Civil War. Simply put, the heroes involved have been ignored by history due to racism. Those heroes were the all-black members of the 54th Regiment of the Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, headed by Col. Robert Gould Shaw (Matthew Broderick), the son of an influential abolitionist."

An excellent historical representation and movie.

Glory was a decent representation of the training/recruiting of the 54th Mass. It did go Hollywood at the end because they never got into the fort. Shaw was killed in the attack and the unit was slaughtered thus proving that black troops were as willing as white troops to die at the orders of inept commanders.

And Band of Brothers was not only based on real events but real people. Richard (Dick) Winters was the commander of Co. E of the 506th Para Rgt and Robert Sink was commander of the 506th. Surviving members of the company were interviewed for the show.

And I'm not sure why but BoB was far superior to The Pacific...which never seemed to grip me.

[Image: Atheismreality_zps62a2c96a.jpg]
05-07-2014, 07:03 AM
(03-07-2014 10:04 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
(03-07-2014 02:49 AM)Dee Wrote:  Glory (1989)

"Glory is a celebration of a little-known act of mass courage during the Civil War. Simply put, the heroes involved have been ignored by history due to racism. Those heroes were the all-black members of the 54th Regiment of the Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, headed by Col. Robert Gould Shaw (Matthew Broderick), the son of an influential abolitionist."

An excellent historical representation and movie.

Glory was a decent representation of the training/recruiting of the 54th Mass. It did go Hollywood at the end because they never got into the fort. Shaw was killed in the attack and the unit was slaughtered thus proving that black troops were as willing as white troops to die at the orders of inept commanders.

And Band of Brothers was not only based on real events but real people. Richard (Dick) Winters was the commander of Co. E of the 506th Para Rgt and Robert Sink was commander of the 506th. Surviving members of the company were interviewed for the show.

And I'm not sure why but BoB was far superior to The Pacific...which never seemed to grip me.

Also, I believe that indeed, the Blacks did not indeed volunteer.

They where, actualy, forced to actualy fight first.
16-07-2014, 02:25 PM
I liked Kingdom of Heaven.
But then I usually go for any "historical" movie.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  History of egalitarianism living thing 13 222 20-06-2014 07:49 AM
Last Post: ClydeLee
  Yijin Jing history ghostexorcist 2 147 05-06-2014 07:56 PM
Last Post: ghostexorcist
  A History of Celtic Britain The Germans are coming 9 208 30-05-2014 01:32 AM
Last Post: true scotsman
  Ancient history book recommendation needed Eva 27 327 04-04-2014 03:17 AM
Last Post: Banjo
  The history documentary thread The Germans are coming 8 360 21-01-2014 10:03 PM
Last Post: cheapthrillseaker
  History of America as seen through the eyes of Buddy Christ (an excerpt) Buddy Christ 13 610 06-01-2014 04:08 PM
Last Post: Luminon
  How did you get interested in history? ghostexorcist 27 1,488 03-12-2013 11:24 PM
Last Post: EvolutionKills