Your Favorite Music

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-09-2010, 08:04 PM

Your Favorite Music
I thought we needed a thread to share our favorite bands/musical styles. I'm always looking for good music to listen to, and I bet there are some varied tastes here.

My favorite band of all time has to be Avenged Sevenfold (RIP, Rev.) I also love Irish folk music (too much exposure growing up on the Canadian border), blue grass (why I don't know since I abhor country), and I was trained as a classical pianist.

How about you???
Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2010, 08:12 PM (This post was last modified: 06-09-2010 08:23 PM by ebilekittae.)
RE: Your Favorite Music
I love all kinds of music! (aside from country probably from overexposure growing up in Kentucky to a mom that LOVES it Tongue)

My favourite bands... Newton Faulkner is probably number one for me! He's the most talented musician I've ever seen in my life! I also like Coldplay, Gregory and the Hawk, System of a Down, Slipknot, T.a.T.u., Caramell, Evanescence, Within Temptation, Hawthorne Heights, Yoshida Brothers, and minor remixers such as ROFLtrax and Kontrast and DJ Die Hard. Edit to add: Gorillaz, TheLonelyIsland, LeCrae (aye, I like a Christian rapper =P), and Lily Allen.

I absolutely cannot stand Bjork. Just hearing Bjork puts me in a heavily irritable mood. I do enjoy other experimental pieces at times, though, so I can't throw out the whole genre. Tongue

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2010, 08:17 PM

(06-09-2010 08:12 PM)LeviTimes Wrote:  My favourite bands... Newton Faulkner is probably number one for me! He's the most talented musician I've ever seen in my life! I also like Coldplay, Gregory and the Hawk, System of a Down, Slipknot, T.a.T.u., Caramell, Evanescence, Within Temptation, Hawthorne Heights, Yoshida Brothers, and minor remixers such as ROFLtrax and Kontrast and DJ Die Hard.

I absolutely cannot stand Bjork. Just hearing Bjork puts me in a heavily irritable mood. I do enjoy other experimental pieces at times, though, so I can't throw out the whole genre. Tongue

LOL, every time I see Bjork I want to kiss her. Weird. Her and Lady Gaga.

I've never heard of Newton Faulkner, but I'm gonna go look him up right now ...

I LOVE Evanescence, SOD, Slipknot. Good stuff.
06-09-2010, 09:07 PM
I enjoy Lady Gaga. I don't know entirely what sets me off about Bjork. But Something definitely does. Tongue

If you're looking up Newton Faulkner, I suggest the songs "If This Is It", "To the Light", and "Full Fat". Those are my favourites!

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-09-2010, 09:49 PM

Wow, he's cool. He'll definitely have a spot on my ipod in the near future. Thanks for the recommendation.

He also looks a lot like my brother - without the dreds.
07-09-2010, 12:29 AM
I love instrumental folky music, I've been building some instruments myself lately, my bassjouhikko is gonna be ready the next weekend, I'm gonna mic it up and try a little distortion through an amplifier.
I also love hurdy gurdies and bagpipes. And happy folk mixed with metal always makes my day.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
Find all posts by this user
07-09-2010, 01:12 AM

I'm pretty eclectic when it comes to music. I love Tool, 30 Seconds to Mars, Disturbed, Stone Sour (but not Slipknot), The Eagles, Handel and Vivaldi, Norah Jones, Nirvana (only really their unplugged album but that is a favorite), Alice in Chains, The Beatles, and I am starting to like Jimmy Hendrix.

Other loves include Cherry Poppin' Daddies, Royal Crown Revue, and pretty much anything swing related.

@ Athnostic: the piano keyboard is what taught me the order of notes so I could learn the guitar fretboard. Smile I'm not any good at the guitar, but I know the order of notes by picturing a piano keyboard. What made you decide on piano as opposed to any other instrument (cello, violin, guitar, trumpet, drums)?
07-09-2010, 01:43 AM
I like a lot of music styles. Heavy metal, hard rock, blues, jazz, classical, new age, flamenco, many styles of folk music, African chants and a lot of other stuff.

I do not like pop(pathetically over played), especially new pop. I am not into country and I don't like death metal, thrash or punk. As for rap, if you like it, don't ask my opinion of it because ain't going to like my opinion of it. And don't bother to tell me to learn something about music because I teach music.

Some of my favorites include (this list is nowhere near complete) Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Mountain, Nightwish, Yes, Ozzy Osbourne, The Guess Who, The Beatles, Rush, Yngwie Malmsteen, Joe Satriani, Santana, Yanni, Iron Maiden, Scorpions, Lacuna Coil, Evanescence, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Uriah Heep, Lee Aaron, The Moody Blues, Candlemass, Gary Moore, Alice Cooper, Grim Reaper, Jimi Hendrix, Simon & Garfunkel, Oscar Peterson, Jeff Beck, B.B. King, The Shadows, Racer-X, Eric Clapton, Big Dave Mclean, Robin Trower and Yoyo Ma to name a few.
07-09-2010, 02:03 AM
http://thethinkingatheist.com/forum/show...hp?tid=167

The older version of this thread in case anyone's interested.

Just visiting.

-SR
07-09-2010, 08:56 AM

I love the eclectic tastes of the people here. I love music, all kinds of music! I think people who dedicate themselves wholy to one artist or one genre are really limiting themselves. Music is like emotion there are all different kinds and they are all usefull at various times. I too am the definition of Eclectic. If the music is good and sincere then it's word listening to. I love classic rock and there are way too many bands to mention in that genre. I love progressive rock, Kansas, Dream Theater, Pink Floyd and many many more. I love instrumental music Steve Morse is a particular favorite. Heavy Metal with heavy hitters like Metallica, Iron Maiden, and some obscure things like Savatage, Jon Oliva's Pain, Nightwish etc... I'm a real huge sucker for Christmas music (odd for an atheist, but I love the stuff religous or secular), and The Trans Siberian Orchestra is freaking awesome stuff. I'm rocking out to the Neil Diamond channel on Pandora right now. I have a thousand CDs, really. Music is the soundtrack to life!