Your Favorite Music

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-09-2010, 10:06 PM
RE: Your Favorite Music
(18-09-2010 07:02 PM)Green Wrote:  You are so convicted to the classical model of teaching ("sit down, shut up, and listen to the 'authority' on the subject tell you what is right and wrong")

You have never seen me teach. So you just made up a fabrication to to prove your point. Since you don't know whether this fabrication has any resemblence to the facts, you won't know whether you have made an educated guess or just created a lie.

If you saw me teach you would know that you just made up a lie.

This thread reminds me of what it is like to discuss evolution with a young earth creationist. Don't bother answering. I won't believe anything you say anymore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-09-2010, 10:40 PM
I will listen to just about anything. I find myself staying away from country more often than that but I do have a few GREAT country songs on my Ipod. I also take particular interest to music that can be used for "edits." Whether it be for my youtube channel or a segment in a ski / skate edit. I just love music that carries a mood.

Songs that I particularly like:

Highwayman - Highwaymen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsUM7V6Ku_8

Matisyahu - One Day
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRmBChQjZPs

Mos Def - Ms Fat Booty [Explicit]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO_yLfBPRh0

Ennio Morricone - Per Qualche Dollaro In Piu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQfauuNshU4

Pretty Lights - Sunday School [Explicit]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wKkehYUH4c

Band of Skulls - Fires [Vindata Remix]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tb6ENXo_vk

De La Soul - Eye Know [Sampled from Steely Dan]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1CaN4thI5w

Sting - Fields of Gold
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxVH-5D6c-k&ob=av3n

Nas & Damian Marley - Tribal War ft. K'naan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d5cX4m3HKk

K'naan - Waving Flag [Featuring Nancy]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDrkU0rzFu8

Well there are a few of my favorites. If you get a chance let me know what you think!
19-09-2010, 03:52 PM
(18-09-2010 10:06 PM)No J. Wrote:  You have never seen me teach. So you just made up a fabrication to to prove your point. Since you don't know whether this fabrication has any resemblence to the facts, you won't know whether you have made an educated guess or just created a lie.

I never said anything about how you teach, I said you are convicted to the classical teaching method. I don't blame you for it, it's all we're immersed in from kindergarten to graduation. You sit there and listen to your teacher (supposedly an authority on the subject you're learning) and they tell you how it is.

When you attempted to play the "I have more experience than you" card you put yourself in a position where you made it clear that you believe that the "expert" has the authority to speak down on anyone who has less knowledge than they do. Whether or not you actually teach that way is besides the question, your words and your argument have made it clear that that's what you think, rather Freudian isn't it?

(18-09-2010 10:06 PM)No J. Wrote:  If you saw me teach you would know that you just made up a lie.

Refer to my first response, I didn't make anything up I took what you said and pointed out where it sat, if you don't like it then don't say things that line up with a school of thought you disagree with.

(18-09-2010 10:06 PM)No J. Wrote:  This thread reminds me of what it is like to discuss evolution with a young earth creationist. Don't bother answering. I won't believe anything you say anymore.

Oh boy, insults and running away, how grown up. Isn't it interesting that when someone attempts to make a point the "expert" doesn't like and doesn't step down in the face of his "authority" he just runs off?

I also like how you had absolutely no retort to my points on the debate centering around semantics more than music, perhaps you accepted I am right and want to try to save face, even though you never lost any until that last post.

Oh well, good day.

19-09-2010, 04:32 PM
I like everything. I've been listening to a lot of Ensiferum (Finnish folk metal) and Ronald Jenkees (hip-hop) lately.

Ensiferum
Ronald Jenkees

Oh, and to get in on this little debate: I don't think you need experience in the field to formulate a good opinion, but it certainly helps. Would you rather base your opinion on more facts or less? Still, I remember I had a doctor send in an order to have the wrong bone in my leg x-rayed, so just because you have a position in the field you're in doesn't mean your opinion is automatically better. No one's opinion is better than another's, but some opinions do have more fact behind them.
19-09-2010, 08:33 PM (This post was last modified: 19-09-2010 08:36 PM by No J..)
(19-09-2010 03:52 PM)Green Wrote:  I never said anything about how you teach, I said you are convicted to the classical teaching method. I don't blame you for it, it's all we're immersed in from kindergarten to graduation. You sit there and listen to your teacher (supposedly an authority on the subject you're learning) and they tell you how it is.

Still dead wrong. Still just a fabrication. That is not my method at all.
You just made that up. That is why I don't believe you. Your earlier arguements were flawed, but your latest arguements are totally wrong and unjustifiyed.

I look to my students for feedback. I encourge them to try anything they want to try. I tell them that the only thing you can do wrong with a guitar is to hit someone with it. They are free to chose what kind of music they want to learn. They are free to put in their input into lessons.
There are no right and wrong ways to play the guitar, there are just better and worse ways to get the sounds you want. I want the students to speak there mind and I encourage and ask questions of those who are quieter. (The more vocal ones say what they want and don't need encouragement). When I show a student a technique I demonstrate how and why this technique is effective. If a student has poor technique I explain how this poor technique will create more work in the long run because he/she will want to do something like (quick demonstration) and they can see for themselves how it will cause them problems later on. Does this sound like a sit down and shut up classical method to you?

My problem with you has nothing to do with "my authority." It has to do with your approach to this whole thread. Erasing part of one of my threads and changing it was a big problem with me because it is of extremely poor online etiquette and it showed that you have absolutely no consideration for my point of view. The fact that you show absolutely no appreciation of any kind for my training, experience and knowledge is, as you know, a sore spot for me. I have never said I know everything to you, my students or anyone else, ever. I have no problem with listening to other people's views as long as they are not being pushy or disrespectful of my views. You haved been both. You have caused me to reject your first arguements because of your disrespect and pushy-ness. I reject your last arguements because they are totally wrong.

If you want to have a decent conversation with me:
1) Accept my point of view as you would like me to accept your point of view.
2) Stop being so bloody pushy.
3) Realize that maybe my knowledge covers things that you don't know or have been misinformed about.
4) Realize that if I disagree with something you said, it may be because I have already known the flaws in your arguement because I have heard the same type of arguements from other people who have brought similar flawed arguements up in the past.
5) Realize that the lack of repect I showed you was a result of the lack of respect that you showed me.

I am willing to bury the hatchet and be civil to you as long as it is mutual. I will listen to your arguments and give them the merit they deserve as long as you will give my arguments the merit that they deserve. It has to be a two way street.

I am totally capable of such keeping my end of a truce, I have done it before. The question is, are you?
19-09-2010, 09:36 PM
(19-09-2010 08:33 PM)No J. Wrote:  Still dead wrong. Still just a fabrication. That is not my method at all.
You just made that up. That is why I don't believe you. Your earlier arguements were flawed, but your latest arguements are totally wrong and unjustifiyed.

Again, I didn't say anything about the way you teach. I didn't say "this is how you teach your students". I just said that playing the card "I have more experience" is in line with that philosophy.

(19-09-2010 08:33 PM)No J. Wrote:  My problem with you has nothing to do with "my authority." It has to do with your approach to this whole thread. Erasing part of one of my threads and changing it was a big problem with me because it is of extremely poor online etiquette and it showed that you have absolutely no consideration for my point of view.

When did that happen? I don't remember erasing or changing anything...

(19-09-2010 08:33 PM)No J. Wrote:  The fact that you show absolutely no appreciation of any kind for my training, experience and knowledge is, as you know, a sore spot for me. I have never said I know everything to you, my students or anyone else, ever. I have no problem with listening to other people's views as long as they are not being pushy or disrespectful of my views.

It isn't that I don't show appreciation for your experience and knowledge it's that I don't feel any amount of that doesn't automatically make you some sort of authority, which is what you attempt to make yourself when you play the experience card.

(19-09-2010 08:33 PM)No J. Wrote:  I am willing to bury the hatchet and be civil to you as long as it is mutual. I will listen to your arguments and give them the merit they deserve as long as you will give my arguments the merit that they deserve. It has to be a two way street.

I am totally capable of such keeping my end of a truce, I have done it before. The question is, are you?

Agreed, let's not have bad blood, I apologize for being overly aggressive earlier.

20-09-2010, 12:28 AM
(13-09-2010 03:03 PM)Green Wrote:  
(12-09-2010 11:34 PM)No J. Wrote:  Pop is written and played specifically to the format laid down by the big recording companies as dictated by the advertising dollar.

Fixed that for you, radio stations will play whatever is selling, but without the recording companies picking up acts like Gaga...

This is were it happened. If you had left my post as is and said that you think recording comanies had more to do with it than radio stations I would have said that I didn;t know whether that could be verified because They both, radio stations and recording companies are responsible for too much crap on the air. You were not wrong in adding recording companies, you were wrong in totally erasing radio stations. That was a flaw in your arguement. The reason I know this is because I have had numerous in-depth conversations with people in the radio business and people who deal with people in the radio business.

You are right that in many circles pop simply means popular, but in other circles it pertains to music specifically aimed at radio play following the format radio stations use for reasons such as the ability to fit a certain number of songs, commercials and DJ babble into a given time slot. Because of this a lot of great songs never get on the radio station. That pisses me off. Somebody could write a book on this stuff. I don't have the skills as a writer or the patience to do it.

The music business is very complicated and it is hard enough for people in it to really understand it, and the stuff you read about or hear on the media is very often screwed up.

I never meant to be-little your point of view. I was explaining things from were I see it which is different from were you see it.

Quote from a very well-known and very experienced disc jockey, when I asked him why the radio stations didn't cater to music lovers, he said, "radio stations don't care about what you want, they care about playing to those who hold the purse strings in the house, houeswives from twenty-five to fifty-five years old. This is the target audience that advertizers want to reach." That was a shot of reality for me. It pissed me off, but I knew he was right. Quote from a booking agent, "It doesn't matter to the bar owner if you have Led Zeppelin on stage or two monkeys jacking-off, it only matters how much beer is sold." I felt like I had been seriously bitch-slapped. I had been reduced from a artist to a beer salesman in one sentence. Experience can destroy your illusions in a big hurry sometimes.

I hope this helps you understand where I am coming froma little bit better.
20-09-2010, 12:52 AM

I totally agree with you on this one. Recording companies are subsequently collecting a huge amount of their income as such and it is only a matter of time that most of them starts turning out to be a reservoir for radio stations as well. Besides, we can see that these days there are rumors of lyrics being sung right there as live but shown or telecast ed later. Anyway, I do agree with atheistic as what she has said about pop is absolutely true because Michael Jackson was the pop king which can also be said in a way, “Michael Jackson is the popular king”
fushigi ball how it works
Quote this message in a reply
20-09-2010, 09:42 AM

(19-09-2010 04:32 PM)jkshrout Wrote:  I like everything. I've been listening to a lot of Ensiferum (Finnish folk metal) and Ronald Jenkees (hip-hop) lately.

Ensiferum
Ronald Jenkees

Finnish folk metal, huh? That sounds waaaaay interesting. I'm gonna have to check that out.
Quote this message in a reply
20-09-2010, 11:23 AM (This post was last modified: 20-09-2010 02:00 PM by Kikko.)
jkshrout Wrote:]Ensiferum
Sounds a little like Wintersun (I've been waiting for the new album for years but they always have some problemsSad).
But if you like folkish metal, I will recommend Korpiklaani (wicked accordionCool ). The videos are lame, but the music is good.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.