Your Favorite Music

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-09-2010, 04:17 PM

RE: Your Favorite Music
I'm a closet fan of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, as well as "In This Moment"

If you've never heard of ITM, you should check out their vocer of Blondie's "Call Me"
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2010, 07:53 AM
Hey, if anyone else uses Last.fm or want to start using it, add me Tongue I figured it'd be relevant to this discussion. Here's the link to my profile:

LINKAGE

For those who don't know what Last.fm is, it keeps track of what you listen to and forms your own charts about your most listened to artists as well as recommends new music based on who you listen to. It's pretty cool Tongue

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2010, 02:20 PM
Quote:For those who don't know what Last.fm is, it keeps track of what you listen to and forms your own charts about your most listened to artists as well as recommends new music based on who you listen to. It's pretty cool Tongue
I just registered and it already has a long list of recommended bands for me! Most of them I've heard already, but there's a few new names that I'm gonna check out.
I recommend this service.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
11-09-2010, 03:27 PM

(11-09-2010 07:53 AM)Green Wrote:  Hey, if anyone else uses Last.fm or want to start using it, add me Tongue I figured it'd be relevant to this discussion. Here's the link to my profile:

LINKAGE

For those who don't know what Last.fm is, it keeps track of what you listen to and forms your own charts about your most listened to artists as well as recommends new music based on who you listen to. It's pretty cool Tongue

Thanks. I would, but I don't have the bandwidth here for streaming music
12-09-2010, 01:15 PM

I forgot about Muse! Love those guys!

Quote: @ Athnostic: the piano keyboard is what taught me the order of notes so I could learn the guitar fretboard. Smile I'm not any good at the guitar, but I know the order of notes by picturing a piano keyboard. What made you decide on piano as opposed to any other instrument (cello, violin, guitar, trumpet, drums)?

I spent my elementary school years on a farm in northeastern Montana. There was only one music teacher in a 60-mile radius, and she happened to teach Suzuki piano lessons. The decision was kind of made for me, but I've never regretted it. Wink
Quote:I do not like pop(pathetically over played), especially new pop. I am not into country and I don't like death metal, thrash or punk. As for rap, if you like it, don't ask my opinion of it because ain't going to like my opinion of it. And don't bother to tell me to learn something about music because I teach music.

Pop is pitiful. Takes no talent to write and even less to perform. Did you say you teach and play guitar?
12-09-2010, 04:04 PM
(12-09-2010 01:15 PM)athnostic Wrote:  Pop is pitiful. Takes no talent to write and even less to perform. Did you say you teach and play guitar?

Yes. See the thread 'guitar' in the entertainment section of the forum. I have a couple or three posts there about guitar. There are a few people here who are working on learning to play the guitar so I wrote a couple of tips for them. I also have posted a list in the 'your favorite music' thread and one in the 'concerts' thread. This will give you a good idea about me musically.
12-09-2010, 10:04 PM
(12-09-2010 01:15 PM)athnostic Wrote:  Pop is pitiful. Takes no talent to write and even less to perform.

I don't like the way people use the word "pop" when applying it to music. Pop isn't a genre, it is an abbreviation of "popular", any music can be pop music, it only needs to hit the Top 40. For example, Eminem's new song is a "pop" song insofar as it is popular, the genre of the song is rap.

The Beatles, at least in their early years, were a "pop band" but they played rock 'n roll music.

Michael Jackson is the "King of Pop" but his musical genres were R&B, Soul, and Funk/Rock.

I'd say the Beatles were rather Talented, same with MJ. True, today's pop music is trite garbage, but throwing out the baby with the bathwater isn't exactly a good idea. Pop music has a rich, diverse past, just because it is awful now doesn't mean all pop music is terrible.

Lady Gaga, arguably the worst of the group as far as I'm concerned, is a terrible ELECTRONIC/DANCE (genre) artist, but that doesn't mean all Electro music is bad...

Anyway, I feel I've made my point... I hate it when people refer to pop as a genre, there is little to nothing tying together most "pop music" as a genre, I mean we've gone from The Beatles to Lady Gaga, try to tie them together thematically and musically including all the pop bands between them, than you might convince me that pop is a genre.

12-09-2010, 11:34 PM
Pop is written and played specifically to the format laid down by the big radio stations as dictated by the advertising dollar. It is not specific to any genre, it is specific to appeasing the format and climbing the charts for the sake of money at the expense of the art.

As far as Eminem is concerned, he doesn't do songs because he doesn't sing. A rap piece is not a song because rapping is not singing. I hope I never hear Eminem again.
13-09-2010, 03:03 PM
(12-09-2010 11:34 PM)No J. Wrote:  Pop is written and played specifically to the format laid down by the big recording companies as dictated by the advertising dollar.

Fixed that for you, radio stations will play whatever is selling, but without the recording companies picking up acts like Gaga...

Also, I'm not trying to defend today's pop music or anything, I agree that it's awful, I just have a pet peeve about people referring to pop as a genre. Like I said, the Beatles early work is pop and it has nothing in common with Lady Gaga musically, completely different musical genres but both are popular therefore they are pop music.

One is rock and roll the other is dance, both are pop in that they are popular... That's what I'm trying to get at... Although I think you understand and I'm just running my mouth... Or fingers... I'll stop now...

14-09-2010, 12:45 AM
The recording companies don't run the radio stations, but they sure try to, and are way more successful than is good for music lovers. Radio stations are being manipulated by the record companies and the advertizing dollar. The are bands and artists that chart low but sell more CD's than higher charting artists because they don't get much radio play. Radio stations also like to control the rise and fall of chart positions of songs. Songs that they can't control the rise and fall of, such as 'Eve of Destruction" by Barry McQuire, have pissed them off and, in Barry's case, he got no more radio play. "Eve of Destruction" was not pop, it shot up the charte and was a smash hit, but it was a carreer buster for Barry. Yeah, radio stations are part of the problem, too. I hope the internet destroys the ability of radio stations, record companies and the advertizing dollar to have any control over what we are exposed to.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Religious Music CiderThinker 22 225 Today 06:48 AM
Last Post: Walter
  Do you listen to any religious music? TheLogicalAthiest 5 64 22-07-2014 01:30 PM
Last Post: Cardinal Smurf
  33 Days of Music Miss Suzanne 140 1,774 17-06-2014 05:01 PM
Last Post: Ferdinand
  Indie Music Thread WeAreTheCosmos 64 1,154 07-06-2014 07:37 PM
Last Post: WeAreTheCosmos
  my music DawkinsFan420 1 85 04-06-2014 08:20 AM
Last Post: FreeThinker69
  Classical and Instrumental Music Thread Michael_Tadlock 14 207 29-05-2014 04:11 PM
Last Post: Michael_Tadlock
  Days of Music? Miss Suzanne 5 109 18-04-2014 05:41 AM
Last Post: ELK12695