Your Favorite Southern (U.S.) Treats?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-09-2015, 02:52 AM
RE: Your Favorite Southern (U.S.) Treats?
(10-09-2015 06:12 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  
(10-09-2015 06:05 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Pretty much.

Holy Satan! And people make pancakes and waffles with it? LV is weirded out

You don't eat it directly, I mean baking powder is nasty is you go eat a spoonful of it, don't do that. Buttermilk is used in the same way except instead of adding a base to the mixture you are adding acid and thus changing the overall pH.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2015, 02:58 AM
Also for those of you unable to procure buttermilk in your locale you can simulate it by adding 1 teaspoon of white vinegar to 1 cup of milk. It is not identical but will work in a pinch.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
11-09-2015, 04:53 AM
Leaving the South.

I had my entire childhood thrown away by being riased in a digusting backwards rural swamp filled with inbred scum and braindead imbecils. Never again!

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
11-09-2015, 05:56 AM
Re: Your Favorite Southern (U.S.) Treats?
Biscuits and tomato gravy. Mm. I really like slimy ass boiled okra that's covered in pepper.

Cold potato salad, though it took some experimenting to made a good version that I can eat now.

Purple Hull peas cooked with waaay too much garlic and onion, eaten with sweet cornbread muffins.
[+] 1 user Likes mecanna's post
11-09-2015, 05:58 AM
Re: RE: Your Favorite Southern (U.S.) Treats?
(11-09-2015 02:58 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Also for those of you unable to procure buttermilk in your locale you can simulate it by adding 1 teaspoon of white vinegar to 1 cup of milk. It is not identical but will work in a pinch.

Yes, and longer you let it sit the more clabbered it becomes. Usually you'd want to let it sit at least 5minutes, but not more than 15.
11-09-2015, 06:06 AM
(10-09-2015 06:24 PM)Octapulse Wrote:  
(10-09-2015 05:52 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  R'Amen, Brother. Preach!

Have you tried Devil's Cut?

I used Devil's Cut to make a steak marinade

It also makes an amazing Apple Bacon Bourbon Pie. Thumbsup

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
11-09-2015, 06:24 AM
(10-09-2015 06:14 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Buttermilk plain is just yucky...I remember having some as a kid....blech!

But buttermilk pancakes and biscuits are good...I don't know how or why that works but it does.

Most of the sugar in the milk has turned into lactic acid. In baked goods it adds a subtle tang and increases the rise when it interacts with baking soda.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-09-2015, 06:36 AM
Deep fried dill pickles.

Seafood gumbo, just like the kind I used to have at my uncle's Florida vacation beach cabin Drooling

This sweet and sour prawn dish I tried at a Honolulu street vendor once. Does Hawaii count as south, geographically speaking? Tongue

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
11-09-2015, 07:46 AM
(11-09-2015 02:58 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Also for those of you unable to procure buttermilk in your locale you can simulate it by adding 1 teaspoon of white vinegar to 1 cup of milk. It is not identical but will work in a pinch.
That's what I'll do, just with lemon juice, not vinegar

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
11-09-2015, 08:01 AM
Sunday dinner is likely to be: Poke salat, fried potatoes, pinto beans and corn bread... and maybe a pickled egg.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 2 users Like TurkeyBurner's post