Your Fear.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2012, 12:54 AM
RE: Your Fear.
(17-05-2012 12:47 AM)aurora Wrote:  Holy crap, LJ! Ohmy

They say Oz has the most deadly creatures but at least we can run away from spiders and snakes! Yes
Yeah, this one isn't even a big one- only a year or two, and just a black bear, not grizzly (which my husband just ran into the other day while driving not too far from our place, I'll see if I can grab that picture).

I don't know if I can handle the element of surprise of a spider in bed or not seeing it until it's too late. Snake in the shoe, or something, ha ha. At least I can see this guy coming!

At first we watched it and thought it would move on, but it came up into our outdoor boot room so we honked the car horns and it left.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-05-2012, 01:15 AM
[Image: ScreenShot2012-05-17at12014AM.png]
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
17-05-2012, 04:21 AM
This is a brilliant thread.

I think there's real fears (like the amazing pictures of bears) that remind us just how vulnerable human are.

Then you've got the psycological fears, like fears of commitment.

Then there's the media inspired fears...my mate David McCandless did a brilliant visualisation of how the media plays on fear...see it here. Note "killer wasps" gets rolled out by the media every few years.

He also did a very good TED talk that features the fear visualisation features along with some commentary. Here.

"Christianity is like a diet where you eat lots of chocolate cake all week, and then on Sunday you mentally scold yourself and "try again" only to repeat the cycle." - Buddy Christ
[+] 2 users Like Shannow's post
17-05-2012, 04:59 AM
Pictures of bears/etc serve to remind me (kind of...., mainly I use to remind others) that we aren't exactly the top of the food chain, if anything, we share it with other animals, and yes, we can be the prey too--we're just really good at defending ourselves.
[+] 1 user Likes elemts's post
17-05-2012, 11:52 AM
Love this thread LJ.. Did you say where you lived and I missed it? Your fears seem very valid-- but to be honest I am jealous that you live in a place with so much cool wildlife around you-- being in Dallas TX , I have to watch my wildlife on NatGeo Smile Smile ( much safer-but not as exciting )

My fear comes from when I was studying different religions-- once I figured out Mormonism was retarded at the ripe age of around 12ish. One of my friends was a Jehovah Witness and I went to church and did some bible studying with her family. They are convinced that ghosts are demons and that if you read, watch or talk about ghosts or anything supernatural like that.. well basically, you are inviting them into your home. So being a big reader I had dozens of John Saul, Stephen King and the assorted other similar style books and I thought I was doomed. That I had invited demons into my home and my fear of ghosts being in my house was insane-- all the way to thinking that a ballon that was blowing from the ceiling fan was chasing me. After throwing away all of my books and movies that had ANYthing supernatural in them ( which was basically everything-- because Sci-Fi / thriller fiction is my dorky love) I would sleep with a bible and be in tears almost nightly while praying for Jesus to send his angels to protect me. It was pretty ridiculous -- this fear stayed with me for years and years-- as I lost my faith in anything the irrational fear started to fade. I don't even believe in ghosts but to this day I can NOT watch ghost movies -- When I watched paranormal activity I could not sleep for months-- UGH

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang
[+] 1 user Likes k37713's post
17-05-2012, 01:52 PM
(13-04-2012 11:16 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  So, this happens to me regularly and I was wondering what other people's experience with it is.

I live in a rural setting and when I go running I run along a road that has few houses and developed farm (re: undeveloped government land.) This particular thicket of forest I run past takes me about 10 minutes to get through and then I come to a couple farm house's and fields. If I run alone I bring my dog, a huge German Shepard. But no matter if I am running with someone or my dog, during this stretch of forest I am so freaking scared for my life. I have pictured everything from coming across a bear, coyotes, wolves and lately moose. I watched a special on TV not long ago called "Moose Attacks!", it was all about moose attacking people and how they are more dangerous than any carnivorous animal combined. I guess I should mention now that this forest area is kind of swampy and moose travel through frequently. Two months ago a Cow (female moose) and her Calf (baby) would be in this area every morning, I'd see them on my commute (driving). So, now all I can picture when I run is this moose barging out of the forest coming after me. Also, I learnt dogs will attract them to attack because they get defensive with their smell because their greatest enemy are wolves.

I realize that the more you concentrate on an emotion the stronger and larger it gets. So, the more I think about how scared I am and what that moment would look like the more real it becomes. The mind starts to not be able to decipher between real and imagined and then, low and behold, I am literally running for my life like my 10 000 year old ancestors. (disclaimer, I realize this part sounds crazy). I have even had the face of a knashing T-rex flash in my mind. I have a very creative, or maybe just intense, imagination. Doesn't help for something like this.

I haven't run here in a couple weeks because there were several cougars spotted in our area and we've been asked to not be out alone in the bushes. In the area I live cougars are on the rise. This is a valid fear and reason to not go because they love to stalk and chase.

Anyway, I am dealing with my fear and trying to work passed it but it made me wonder if anyone else in a daily sense feels this same intense fear. Not the worry kind, like their loved one will get in an accident or they might mess up at a presentation at work or school or something, but the fear where you are literally scared for you life in the moment.

I grew up in a city where I never really felt fear daily. I might be conscious of a stranger following too close behind or something, but I always was in a safe place so it didn't frighten me too much. Maybe I am just not a country person?

What are your experiences with fear? Maybe you are in a high risk job that makes your heart lurch? How do you deal in the moment? Anxiety and depression (something most of us feel at some point) I have coping mechanisms and skills to deal with- actual fear, not so much yet.
Often the fear of something is worse than the actual thing. I've been in situations where I'm scared. It all depends on what the threat is and what you're options are. Remember, even the most courageous people feel fear. It's knowing you afraid and still being able to think clearly and act accordingly that counts.

If you're worried about attack by an animal while running. you might consider doing it indoors on a treadmill or at a gym. If you still want to run outside (and if the laws in Canada will permit this), have you considered carrying a handgun, such as a 10mm Auto, for protection? That will knock a cougar or bear flat on their asses.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
17-05-2012, 01:53 PM
(17-05-2012 01:15 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  [Image: ScreenShot2012-05-17at12014AM.png]
"I do fear bears. They're giant, marauding, godless killing machines."

- Stephen Colbert

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
17-05-2012, 09:04 PM
(17-05-2012 01:53 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  
(17-05-2012 01:15 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  [Image: ScreenShot2012-05-17at12014AM.png]
"I do fear bears. They're giant, marauding, godless killing machines."

- Stephen Colbert

GODLESS? Then how does god command them to maul children who make fun of bald men?? Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
17-05-2012, 10:51 PM
Bob tole me there was a bear in the back yard one time. He said the kids wanted to go after it. Makes me laugh every time I think of it. How do I know Intelligent Design is fail? Because, obviously, human =/= intelligent. Big Grin

I first read this thread as "phobias," and I ain't got that - well, other than my Gwynnies - and this other stuff I'm classifying as "animal fear." I'm not afraid of bears 'cause they're out there and I'm in here, and they're smart enough not to come in here after me, if not the other way around. Big Grin

But I've been in situations, where the animal within deals with the animal without, and whatever happens, happens. Fear is largely a simulation to keep the animal alive, as far as I'm concerned. I ain't going after no bear. Big Grin

So, fear... I'm kinda afraid I'm gonna wake up with a lap full of dead cat. And that will suck, and I'll hafta be sad. Sad

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
18-05-2012, 09:14 AM
Don't really have any fears or phobias...but a couple of years ago I had two nights when I was utterly convinced, for absolutely no reason, that if I closed my eyes and went to sleep I would never wake up again. A part of me knew this was utter bullshit, but the feeling was so utterly primal I was unable to shake it. I just spent two days and nights being utterly terrified, unable to sleep or even close my eyes

The secret to a happy life is lowering your expectations to the point where they are already met