Your Fear.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-04-2012, 11:16 PM
Your Fear.
So, this happens to me regularly and I was wondering what other people's experience with it is.

I live in a rural setting and when I go running I run along a road that has few houses and developed farm (re: undeveloped government land.) This particular thicket of forest I run past takes me about 10 minutes to get through and then I come to a couple farm house's and fields. If I run alone I bring my dog, a huge German Shepard. But no matter if I am running with someone or my dog, during this stretch of forest I am so freaking scared for my life. I have pictured everything from coming across a bear, coyotes, wolves and lately moose. I watched a special on TV not long ago called "Moose Attacks!", it was all about moose attacking people and how they are more dangerous than any carnivorous animal combined. I guess I should mention now that this forest area is kind of swampy and moose travel through frequently. Two months ago a Cow (female moose) and her Calf (baby) would be in this area every morning, I'd see them on my commute (driving). So, now all I can picture when I run is this moose barging out of the forest coming after me. Also, I learnt dogs will attract them to attack because they get defensive with their smell because their greatest enemy are wolves.

I realize that the more you concentrate on an emotion the stronger and larger it gets. So, the more I think about how scared I am and what that moment would look like the more real it becomes. The mind starts to not be able to decipher between real and imagined and then, low and behold, I am literally running for my life like my 10 000 year old ancestors. (disclaimer, I realize this part sounds crazy). I have even had the face of a knashing T-rex flash in my mind. I have a very creative, or maybe just intense, imagination. Doesn't help for something like this.

I haven't run here in a couple weeks because there were several cougars spotted in our area and we've been asked to not be out alone in the bushes. In the area I live cougars are on the rise. This is a valid fear and reason to not go because they love to stalk and chase.

Anyway, I am dealing with my fear and trying to work passed it but it made me wonder if anyone else in a daily sense feels this same intense fear. Not the worry kind, like their loved one will get in an accident or they might mess up at a presentation at work or school or something, but the fear where you are literally scared for you life in the moment.

I grew up in a city where I never really felt fear daily. I might be conscious of a stranger following too close behind or something, but I always was in a safe place so it didn't frighten me too much. Maybe I am just not a country person?

What are your experiences with fear? Maybe you are in a high risk job that makes your heart lurch? How do you deal in the moment? Anxiety and depression (something most of us feel at some point) I have coping mechanisms and skills to deal with- actual fear, not so much yet.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
13-04-2012, 11:43 PM
RE: Your Fear.
I live in suburbia and have never lived in a rural area so I don't have any of that kind of fear but certainly feel for you Yes

The only fear I have ever lived in is when I reported someone to the cops (for undisclosed reasons) and thought he may retaliate but I was ready for him if he came (which he didn't and I should've realised he wouldn't cos he's a fucking coward) but I no longer have this fear as it was over 20 years ago. I used to play out many scenarios in my head and what I would do in each of them which would, in turn, make my fear worse. I'm sure glad that's over.

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
14-04-2012, 12:15 AM
Yeah no kidding, that's what it's like- picturing every worst case scenario.

I should mention too that anyone I talk to about this locally tells me to pray and that God controls all the animals. Ha ha!

The other advice is to carry a gun. Yeah, because running with a huge shot gun on my shoulder will do the trick.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
14-04-2012, 12:25 AM
Hi LadyJane.

I can't really relate to your worries about wildlife fear since as good as any really dangerous animal in Belgium is extinct. In the deeper east of Belgium (where my parents used to live) we still have wild boars in the forest but mostly, they learned that that 2 legged predator is a formidable hunter and they are more scared from you then you are from them. Thea are still dangerous when they have piglets. The idea is to keep a safe perimeter between you and the herd.

I realize that running in a forest can be considered an aggressive action by pray and a form of fleeing by predatory animals in which both cases they could react... uuhm... unpleasant. If I was in your place, I'd study the behavior of the spices I risk to encounter and try to view it their ways so you are prepared for the worst. I often find that getting realistic an unbiased information is a huge source of comfort for me.

As for fear...
Yes. I know what i'ts like. I am not afraid for wildlife predators, but since some months I am afraid from human predators. (I guess you know why) I know i'ts not really realistic but my safe feeling is gone. It ranges from a mild unnerving feeling to becoming really jumpy. I guess I am not much different then a wild boar fearing for the safety of his/hers young.

My therapist said that you have to give room to any emotion but just as much as you feel comfortable with. You should not let anyone tell you how you should feel.

If you are afraid of dark patches of Forrest at night, it is okay not to go there.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post
14-04-2012, 05:40 AM
(14-04-2012 12:25 AM)Observer Wrote:  I can't really relate to your worries about wildlife fear since as good as any really dangerous animal in Belgium is extinct.
Same here in the UK, all save man.

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-04-2012, 05:52 AM
Tell you about that shit. God ain't kind to his prophets; says so right in the book. I have known fear, and a greater tranquility. That is to say, silence is louder than any noise.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
14-04-2012, 12:20 PM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2012 01:01 PM by GirlyMan.)
(13-04-2012 11:16 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  So, this happens to me regularly and I was wondering what other people's experience with it is.

I live in a rural setting and when I go running ...

I get that feeling whenever I think about running. That shit'll give you a heart attack. Look what happened to Jim Fixx.

(13-04-2012 11:16 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  I grew up in a city where I never really felt fear daily.

I'm guessing you didn't grow up in Baltimore, Philly, Detroit or Newark NJ then. Wink

Who knew moose were so fuckin' ballsy.

Looks like you can take 'em if you have a big stick and can holler in Swedish.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
14-04-2012, 01:11 PM
You should start playing World of Warcraft. It teaches you how to avoid moose attacks Smile

http://io9.com/5558603/12+year+old-uses-...ose-attack

I'm terrified of cockroaches if that makes anyone here less embarrassed of their fears btw
14-04-2012, 01:13 PM
I know the few times I've gone out for a walk/run I've had some potential problems. One night, for who knows why, a group of people decided it'd be "fun" to stalk me in a park (when I left, they left, I was afraid to go to my house). No matter where I walked, they soon passed. In that case I decided to do something odd in the sense that I used them stalking me to learn their patterns, and then turned it around (they turned where they thought I'd be, only to find me waiting for them where they were headed--they quickly stopped [funny since they were on foot and in cars and in a group, and I was alone]). Come to find out, they were drunk, and headed to some odd "party on a bus" thing. If I had my phone on me, my response probably would've been different.

One night I even had a dog/wolf (not sure... it looked almost like a hybrid). It was sitting in the road and looked at me. Then it charged toward me, and leaped right beside, spun around, and started circling me like I was it's prey. In that case, I was close to my house, and was trying to walk "ignoring it" so I could get to something at my house to defend myself (granted, with injuries if it came to that). It decided to go after something else though as it ran toward the corn fields.

Now at the same time, there are some woods around where I go at times (probably a 15-20 acre patch of woods) that I have a fear of walking next to (corn/soybean field on one side, woods on the other)--but that's just because it's so overgrown it's hard to tell if something (animal) is in there. More than once I've seen deer leap from the woods and head towards the field. Not saying they'd attack, but I'm pretty certain that me running and being sideswiped by a running dear would not be very pleasant, and would probably require a call for an ambulance.

Fortunately, nothing bad has ever happened--although I do notice a quick flee response, followed by a logical response of sorts (or planning, whatever). Like with the wolf/dog it was more of a "oh crap, I'm dead" (heart racing, then a realization that I would show fear, and the animal would notice it, so I had to act like it didn't bother me) followed by a "oh good it ran off... or not" (when it circled) with me then planning on a defence. With the people, I was worried, scared to return home (didn't want them to know where I lived, otherwise I would've walked the 200ft to my house), but quickly started to turn it around.
[+] 1 user Likes elemts's post
14-04-2012, 01:38 PM
I fear commitment. Relationships scare me to death.

Does that count?

Huh

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My