Your Fear.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2012, 05:58 PM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2012 06:01 PM by LadyJane.)
RE: Your Fear.
(14-04-2012 12:20 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(13-04-2012 11:16 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  I grew up in a city where I never really felt fear daily.

I'm guessing you didn't grow up in Baltimore, Philly, Detroit or Newark NJ then. Wink

Who knew moose were so fuckin' ballsy.

Looks like you can take 'em if you have a big stick and can holler in Swedish.

Lol, nope I'm not from those cities. We had sketchy areas though, but I was able to handle the fear better maybe.

The first vid, at :20- that was brutal to watch. Almost made me cry! Sadcryface2 1:45 I saw in the Moose Attacks show. The guy isa bow-hunter in Alaska and only hunts old school. Had he not gotten that shot he was sure it would have been lethal.

(14-04-2012 01:11 PM)Left Brain Wrote:  You should start playing World of Warcraft. It teaches you how to avoid moose attacks Smile

http://io9.com/5558603/12+year+old-uses-...ose-attack

I'm terrified of cockroaches if that makes anyone here less embarrassed of their fears btw
Funny, this is some advice for dealing with moose. Also, standing between large trees very still helps because they have poor eyesight. I think that's why a lot of the moose in Girlyman's vids stopped their attack, because the moose couldn't see past the obstacles.

(14-04-2012 12:25 AM)Observer Wrote:  Hi LadyJane.

My therapist said that you have to give room to any emotion but just as much as you feel comfortable with. You should not let anyone tell you how you should feel.

If you are afraid of dark patches of Forrest at night, it is okay not to go there.
What does that mean, give it room? Like take a break from the fear or allow it to manifest?

I am petty good at handling other emotional problems, but fear is a tough one. I want to master it as much as I can, I think it'll free my mind more.
(14-04-2012 01:38 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I fear commitment. Relationships scare me to death.

Does that count?

Huh
You'd probably be the best judge of if it counts. Do you want to not be scared of them? Then maybe it would count.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-04-2012, 07:02 PM
I have two fears...one is of heights and it's pretty bad. Even a fast pan over the edge of something in a movie will upset me as though I was right there. I can look out on a vista but down...nope...I get queasy, sweaty, heart races. I had trouble today climbing a ladder to clean a ceiling fan...I have to keep a running dialog in my head to be able to do things like that. I can fly in a plane and I am okay...so that's weird. Stranger is the fact that I climbed trees as a kid, I would climb way up in grandpa's barns, sit on top of monkey bars and swing sets and thought it was great fun. Sometime in my early 20s this fear set in...30 odd years later, and our trip to the Rockies this summer is already making me tense.

The other, since my cancer diagnosis, is dying like dad did. Slowly and painfully. It was gut-wrenching to witness and I am scared that the cancer may come back and I will face the same end.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
14-04-2012, 07:08 PM
(14-04-2012 05:58 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  You'd probably be the best judge of if it counts. Do you want to not be scared of them? Then maybe it would count.
I want to not be scared, but the thought of not being scared terrifies me!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
14-04-2012, 08:43 PM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2012 08:47 PM by GirlyMan.)
(14-04-2012 07:08 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(14-04-2012 05:58 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  You'd probably be the best judge of if it counts. Do you want to not be scared of them? Then maybe it would count.
I want to not be scared, but the thought of not being scared terrifies me!

That's where we're at, Hellbound, deal with it.

(14-04-2012 07:02 PM)Anjele Wrote:  The other, since my cancer diagnosis, is dying like dad did. Slowly and painfully. It was gut-wrenching to witness and I am scared that the cancer may come back and I will face the same end.

Gotta have a go-bag, Anjele. Wink

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
14-04-2012, 08:56 PM
Well, my main fear is of the dark(outside). It all began when I was about 11 and had to dump some grease outside. As I was dumping it I saw a bear. I then ran like hell after throwing the pan at the bear. I made it inside, but I still hate going outside in the dark.

Under Repair.
14-04-2012, 09:21 PM
I take my Shepherd on walks right through the secluded woods, and we have bears and cougars (mountain lions) and what not and I am not at all scared. The odds are against my running into them. I do carry my (turned off for peace and quiet) cell though in case I fall and break a leg or something.

I am much more easily spooked in city streets when I see weird characters about.

I have travelled a lot, and most foreign cities are fine by me except for Barcelona. Beautiful place, great food, but I was there at a convention that had some 300 people. One had his throat cut (thankfully not fatally), some 30 of them were robbed in the streets, and numerous ones were attacked and had to be helped by others.

I have been to conferences all over Europe and elsewhere and never was there such a mess.

So I am scared to death walking at night in Barcelona, doesn't matter how many young strapping men I take with me. And people eat dinner so very late there, the restaurants don't even get busy until 11pm. So, unless you want to live on room service, you have to walk around in the dark. So, not going to Barcelona anymore. But any city can get a bit scary if you don't know your way around. I don't feel that way in nature. In nature you KNOW if you are looking at friend or foe, but in the cities you don't.

Soon after my husband died I had a crazy attack of fear and bought a gun and learned to use it. Then I decided that the gun couldn't tell me someone was sneeking around or if it was friend or foe, so I got the dog with police training. Now the fear is gone, but it was pretty intense there for a while.

That's about all the experience with fear I have. Oh, once as a kid I got lost in a snow storm and was scared to death. My dog found me after 30 minutes of my wandering around aimlessly and led me home.

The fear in Barcelona was really not warranted, since I had several strong young men with me. I did stick with room service most nights though. The dark streets and lots of loitering people freaked me out after all that happened to my colleagues.

I think if something really scares you, just avoid it. These are the easy fears. If you need to face it (like maybe fear of flying and you have a job that makes you travel) then get professional help to deal with it.

The fear of dying in pain - make sure you are in a situation where they drug you, or get a go-bag and bail out of your crashing plane.

Dying in pain is really rare these days, explore and make sure you are in a different care situation from your dad. My husband died of cancer and it was pain free... Everyone I have known who died did so pain free (and the older you get the more people you know die...so I have known quite a few).

Some fears you can avoid, some you need to preempt.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
18-04-2012, 08:06 AM
Just an idea but ya know, pepper spray (mase) works on animals too.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 3 users Like germanyt's post
18-04-2012, 08:08 AM
I recommend that you NEVER watch the youtube series "Marble Hornets". After watching that I became scared of being in my own house. Tongue

Your running experience would become even worse.

The Slender Man is freakin' terrifying.

[Image: opforum1.png]
18-04-2012, 09:27 AM
(14-04-2012 08:56 PM)itsacow Wrote:  Well, my main fear is of the dark(outside). It all began when I was about 11 and had to dump some grease outside. As I was dumping it I saw a bear. I then ran like hell after throwing the pan at the bear. I made it inside, but I still hate going outside in the dark.
I would think you'd be more afraid of BBQ's.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
18-04-2012, 08:02 PM
(18-04-2012 09:27 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(14-04-2012 08:56 PM)itsacow Wrote:  Well, my main fear is of the dark(outside). It all began when I was about 11 and had to dump some grease outside. As I was dumping it I saw a bear. I then ran like hell after throwing the pan at the bear. I made it inside, but I still hate going outside in the dark.
I would think you'd be more afraid of BBQ's.
Grills are outside! In the dark I can not see them and I might run into one! Bechased

Under Repair.
[+] 2 users Like itsacow's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  A Lack of Fear kingschosen 14 252 27-04-2014 05:22 PM
Last Post: d0gg0d
  fear of success kunoxian drive 15 918 02-01-2013 03:55 AM
Last Post: blackkitty
Sad Overcoming fear of death omegamoo 16 1,543 16-12-2012 04:28 AM
Last Post: Birdguy1979
  Fear of getting a regular job cheapthrillseaker 44 1,993 24-09-2012 06:18 AM
Last Post: houseofcantor
  Is "lack of fear of death" healthy? houseofcantor 12 1,639 28-01-2012 07:43 AM
Last Post: NeonMoment
  The love / fear duality houseofcantor 0 432 04-12-2011 08:43 PM
Last Post: houseofcantor