Your Horror Stories when you became an atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-06-2009, 08:33 AM

Question Your Horror Stories when you became an atheist
How about everyone give out a story of what the worst thing they experienced becoming an atheist, or coming out with it, was like for you. I'll start with mine.

When I became an atheist (at age 12) I was walking through a park in my hometown, the one with the ballpark and the woodland behind the fences when a group of youth christians approached me while I was alone. It was very outnumbered, 7 to 1 odds against me, and they proceeded to beat me up to "show me the path to jesus". They got me pretty good, I held my own but numbers don't lie. What made this worse was when they knocked me out, they tied me to a board and gave me the "crown of thorns" which involved barbed wire across my forehead. I still have some of the scars on my forehead. When they let me go, I went to the police naturally, but since these guys had masks on, and I didn't even have a clue who they were, they dismissed it and said that "they will try and investigate this crime, but not to concern myself with it". To this day, I still don't know who did this to me, and thats why I carry a knife on me to this day.

So, who has a horror story? I know mine is gruesome, but a horror story is still a horror story, one that changed the way that you look at others.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like alchron's post
11-07-2009, 10:08 PM

RE: Your Horror Stories when you became an atheist
My story may not be horrific, however, it was traumatic with life transforming effects.
During my first ten years of life, theology was not an issue. My parents were living a party life style where God and religion were not present, although both were raised in very religious families. “Back-slid” was the term later used.
At 10, my life changed. Religion arrived with a vengeance. Church twice on Sunday and at least one “Prayer Meeting” in between.
By early in my Senior year in high school (16 yrs old), I realized I could no longer believe the myths. In my biology class, Darwin and evolution came up. I had heard about this great evil in many sermons about this certain path to Hell and Damnation.
The Biology teacher avoided the issue and I recognized there that he did not feel he could freely discuss his views on the subject. I was probably the one who brought up the issue, because after class he called me aside and said he had a book on Darwin that he would loan me.
A few weeks later my mother discovered I had the book and was bed ridden for several weeks with a “heart condition”. Shortly after that, it was announced by my parents that there would be no college assistance from them if "that was the kind of stuff" I planned to study.
I was 17 when I graduated and immediately joined the Navy, my father more than happy to sign the necessary papers due to me being less than 18.
29 years later, after a career in the Navy, I did graduate from college.
[+] 4 users Like fmoakes's post
13-07-2009, 09:09 AM

my only horror story is from when my mother tried taking me and my little brother to church (our neighbours were like hardcore christians, i think they were the last ones left in the UK). anyhoo, there we are being told that, as we were there, accepting jesus into our hearts, we would all be getting together in the kingdom of heaven after we died.

this upset me. it upset me because although i was there, my mum was there and my little brother was there, my dad wasn't. my dad's heart belonged to someone else. my dad had already given his heart to one k. marx.

what was i to think? that my family would be split up for eternity? this was the logical conclusion and it was one that upset me greatly (i was quite a sensitive child). would god make us watch while the devil toutured my old man? i remember on several occasions getting onto my knees and imploring our creator to overlook my father's shortsightedness. he didn't mean it, honest. but to no avail, the message from the pulpit was a fixed one.

not much later (when puberty kicked in and i realized i could question stuff) i dropped the whole religion thing (you'll all be glad to hear that none of us are religious anymore, although my mother is still suspiciously agnostic; she's into homeopathy now) only to discover that, having been raised a catholic, all my old man has to do is have his last rites and he's getting comfy at the right hand of god. while the rest of us? you guessed it, burning.

oh well, at least the music'll be good...
[+] 1 user Likes jkhdfk's post
11-08-2009, 11:01 AM

Hi, I will try to make this short... I have been all tore up inside for going on 2 years now, I am 32 and became a strong christian at 14. I attended and graduated from bible college and have traveled around the world and the US, 14 countries and 38 states, preaching and ministering the gospel of Jesus Christ. I will tell you that I never doubted in God or Christ and I was "on fire" for God by devoting my life to Him for about 16 years. I married a girl from college and her father is a pastor, we opened one of the largest Christian Bookstores in MD, and that is when it started to happen. People from all denominations came in and explained why their particular beliefs of Christianity were right and everyone else is wrong. This made me study the versions of the bible and the history. The main thing that confused me was that we (as evangelical Christians) did not accept the apocrypha as being in the bible like catholics and some others, but the apocrypha was in the original selection of books provided in the KJV that is believed to be divinly ordained by God through man... Why did we trust that these scholars chosen by King James were led by God to put this book together but we reject around 13 or so books that they chose??? Once the validity of the bible was broken for me, it was like a house of cards falling. I have cried and suffered over the last 2 years over this, I could not go back to believing no matter how hard i try, and trust me, I have tried many times but it is not possible.. I know that a lock was taken off my mind but now I am in the closet. It is still hard for me to think that there may not be a god. I know that I will lose my wife, even if she does not divorce me, it will devestate her and our relationship, not to mention the rest of my very devout christian family and in-laws... I think it is easier to continue pretending and just go on how it is.... This has been the hardest thing in my life to deal with and now i am trapped until i die.... I have been over the website and other sites but I need something more, just some words of advice or something.... thank you.
[+] 1 user Likes zion7777777's post
11-08-2009, 02:25 PM

(11-08-2009 11:01 AM)zion7777777 Wrote:  Hi, I will try to make this short... I have been all tore up inside for going on 2 years now, I am 32 and became a strong christian at 14. I attended and graduated from bible college and have traveled around the world and the US, 14 countries and 38 states, preaching and ministering the gospel of Jesus Christ. I will tell you that I never doubted in God or Christ and I was "on fire" for God by devoting my life to Him for about 16 years. I married a girl from college and her father is a pastor, we opened one of the largest Christian Bookstores in MD, and that is when it started to happen. People from all denominations came in and explained why their particular beliefs of Christianity were right and everyone else is wrong. This made me study the versions of the bible and the history. The main thing that confused me was that we (as evangelical Christians) did not accept the apocrypha as being in the bible like catholics and some others, but the apocrypha was in the original selection of books provided in the KJV that is believed to be divinly ordained by God through man... Why did we trust that these scholars chosen by King James were led by God to put this book together but we reject around 13 or so books that they chose??? Once the validity of the bible was broken for me, it was like a house of cards falling. I have cried and suffered over the last 2 years over this, I could not go back to believing no matter how hard i try, and trust me, I have tried many times but it is not possible.. I know that a lock was taken off my mind but now I am in the closet. It is still hard for me to think that there may not be a god. I know that I will lose my wife, even if she does not divorce me, it will devestate her and our relationship, not to mention the rest of my very devout christian family and in-laws... I think it is easier to continue pretending and just go on how it is.... This has been the hardest thing in my life to deal with and now i am trapped until i die.... I have been over the website and other sites but I need something more, just some words of advice or something.... thank you.

Interesting story, hope that we can be of some help for you.
14-08-2009, 09:41 AM

Zion,
Matt Dillahunty from The Atheist Experience comes to mind. He'd been "on fire" and studying to be a minister when he woke up.

Big stuff in life always boils down completely lonely decisions but on the premise that real people is always gooder when compared with bozos on the Internet: meetups.com

Oh wow look what I just found:
"This blog was created for all of us atheists that are afraid to announce to the world, that we do not believe in a god": http://www.closetatheist.net/

Links (3, one in each paragraph) above work, but show on my screen as black print, same as the other text. That's despite the fact that I tried changing them to blue after previewing.
25-11-2009, 03:14 AM

Hello Friends.
I read your entire post well it is good story if you know details or any other kindly post it as soon as possible.
Thanks
09-12-2009, 05:59 PM

(11-08-2009 11:01 AM)zion7777777 Wrote:  Hi, I will try to make this short... I have been all tore up inside for going on 2 years now, I am 32 and became a strong christian at 14. (Remainder of the story deleted. See original post.)

I am truly sorry for the pain you're going through. I wish there was something I could say or do that would help but I honestly don't know what the best path would be for you.

You don't specify whether you have children. If you do, I would hope you could hang in there until they are grown. But I honestly don't know whether that would do you, your wife, and the children more harm than good. I've seen marriages where the couple stayed together "for the good of the children" but, I swear, the kids would have been better off if their parents had separated.

You also need to keep an eye on yourself. You won't be of help to your loved ones if the stress gets to be too much. Maybe you could talk with a psychiatrist, psychologist, social worker, or other professional. You'll want to interview them to insure they can listen to you with an open mind. Even some professionals cannot leave their beliefs at the door.

Good luck on your journey! My thoughts are with you.
15-12-2009, 05:07 PM
My horror stories... I don't really have any. But it was rather a shock to discover that Christians are seriously raised to believe that atheists worship the devil - at least in my area. My mother flipped out and wouldn't accept that her definition of atheism was erroneous. To this day, I think she still believes I was wrong and she was right.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2010, 01:50 PM

I'm beside myself--this is really heartbreaking stuff. I'm so amazed when I hear the mental torture that goes on in people's lives. This is why I feel so strongly about the damaging effects of religious indoctrination on children. I can't see how this form of child abuse is so commonly overlooked. I've really never heard from people who have survived this abuse and come out of it on their own power as I've seen on this site. In my family there was no mental conditioning of this sort. My dad just told me he didn't like religious organizations, (he would blow his nose loudly at church while the sermon was being read when my mom dragged us to an Easter service or such--that's the extent of my horror story) but he always told us if we were interested in something to pursue it. So I wasn't led one way or the other. I have a feeling that if people would teach their children critical thinking skills instead of showing them how to lie to themselves we would be a more mentally healthy society.