Your Horror Stories when you became an atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2010, 06:01 PM
RE: Your Horror Stories when you became an atheist
This isn't really a horror story, but It's really the only one I have.

I have a boyfriend that is an atheist, but his mother is a bit of a Jesus nut. She insists that I go to church with them, and I do sometimes. So there I was, in a catholic church. I wasn't raised christian, and so I haven't been baptized or had confession. None of that lovely stuff. Well, snack time came around(Communion), and I stayed, having some respect of the religion. A middle-aged women noticed me after returning. She approached me, and called me out. She asked me why I didn't take communion. I wasn't sure what to say, feeling that if I revealed my atheism, I would be singled out pretty quickly. Plus, not being raised in the church, I wasn't even sure why I didn't take communion. I said I wasn't baptized, which is true, but still not a confession of non-belief. She was very distraught. She said that I was an animal in the lord's eyes, and that I needed to be baptized. That Jesus needed to save from the fiery pits of hell. What do you say to that? I just smiled and said thanks, then hurried over to my boyfriend.

After the fear had worn down, and by boyfriend was done laughing, I found it interesting. Apparently, I'm an animal, and to the best of my limited knowledge, animals don't go to hell. So, why would Jesus have to save me from a place I'm in no danger of going? Not that I would ever ask the crazy christian chick.

Well that is my horror story. More of an awkward comedy, but none the less.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like ashley.hunt60's post
17-07-2015, 10:56 PM
i was always kind of skeptical i think.. like deep down it was there with out me really knowing it. My childhood wanst really focused on religion… i understood Jesus and stuff… and christmas, and the basics, but thats it.

One summer when i was 12 me and my friend decided to go to church camp because her cousins went. When we got there i was uncomfortable instantly… we just felt out of place completely.... It was nothing like the brochure. about 3 days in we wanted to go home. Our camp cabin leader had to be with us to make any kind of phone call.. so when we asked she said no. She would not let us call home. We snuck out to find a camp leader that would help us and let us call.. and found someone. Our cabin leader saw us and ran across the camp screaming. Arms flailing… running as fast as she could. "STOP!!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING! NO…STOP STOP!!!!" (I am not over exaggerating….) It looked as though she was seeing someone get murdered. i told my mom i had to go but please pick me up and then hung up on her. Before we left they took us up into a tree house INDIVIDUALLY and told us if we didn't believe what they were telling us we would go to hell. Thats when I realized that i didn't like religion. I felt uncomfortable for a reason, and slowly i became an atheist.
[+] 1 user Likes CARAmel1's post
17-07-2015, 11:37 PM
Holy crap, CARAmel1... I can't imagine why that would put you off The True Faith! Laugh out load

The hell is wrong with those people? Oh, right... hell. They really think it's real. Crazy people...

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
18-07-2015, 05:31 AM
Holy cow, this might be a record necro, but it's an honest necro.

I lost my best friend when I declared I was an atheist. We maintained our friendship for almost a year after I made it clear I no longer believe. Our Facebook exchanges were bitter, he was quite hateful and tried to bludgeon me with apologism.

All that did was intensify the Facebook back and forths, he finally started PM'ing my family members and denigrating me and my family members. When I found that out, I told him to piss off and I was no longer his friend.

There was not an ounce of reasonableness in the Jesus freak, it was about control and denigration to force compliance to the "Truth", life becomes better without these people in it. Thumbsup

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 4 users Like TheInquisition's post
18-07-2015, 12:07 PM
Inquisition... hear, hear!!

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
18-07-2015, 02:33 PM
(29-06-2009 08:33 AM)alchron Wrote:  How about everyone give out a story of what the worst thing they experienced becoming an atheist, or coming out with it, was like for you. I'll start with mine.

When I became an atheist (at age 12) I was walking through a park in my hometown, the one with the ballpark and the woodland behind the fences when a group of youth christians approached me while I was alone. It was very outnumbered, 7 to 1 odds against me, and they proceeded to beat me up to "show me the path to jesus". They got me pretty good, I held my own but numbers don't lie. What made this worse was when they knocked me out, they tied me to a board and gave me the "crown of thorns" which involved barbed wire across my forehead. I still have some of the scars on my forehead. When they let me go, I went to the police naturally, but since these guys had masks on, and I didn't even have a clue who they were, they dismissed it and said that "they will try and investigate this crime, but not to concern myself with it". To this day, I still don't know who did this to me, and thats why I carry a knife on me to this day.

So, who has a horror story? I know mine is gruesome, but a horror story is still a horror story, one that changed the way that you look at others.

Don't have one.

My attitude is ... "don't like it? Fuck off then."

That's about it.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 2 users Like Free's post
18-07-2015, 03:02 PM
(18-07-2015 02:33 PM)Free Wrote:  Don't have one.

My attitude is ... "don't like it? Fuck off then."

That's about it.

Me too.

#sigh
18-07-2015, 05:41 PM
It's just not that convenient for those of us who live in regions where the religion has almost total control of the minds of everyone around us, including family, to the point of being ostracized and possibly harmed if you "come out" as an atheist.

At the least, simply for saying "Hey let's pay attention to what science has to say about it before we form an opinion, eh guys?" you become "The Troublemaker of the Family™", et cetera.

I wish I could just say fuck 'em. But I can't. Even so, I had to avoid 'em for a decade before they calmed down enough to be around civilly.

18-07-2015, 06:51 PM
Unfortunately I can't weigh in in this discussion because I was not raised in a religious family. No one in my family is a believer although my sister did drift into it after coming out of an abusive relationship but it was more a coping mechanism than anything else.

None of my friends were believers and no one in my town is any sort of believer apart from a very small few old people who might pop into church now and then.

I can weigh in on a lie my father told me though. My dad owned a store and often i would like to play in the fields near the store. Near the fields was a gypsy camp site.

To stop me wandering too far my father told me that Gypsies stole unattended children. Now I was 7 or 8 at the time and the thought of being taken away from my parents was horrific. If I saw a gypsy I ran straight back to the shop!!! I was terrified of them.

My dad then sold the shop and I never played on those fields again because i never went to that part of town anymore.

Now that little lie my father told me was never corrected. It was never discussed again, and I never really thought about it anymore. My dad died in 2001.

When I was 23 I was in a bar and I got talking to this guy and we got on straight away, and we are friends still. He told me the lived in the gypsy site that was near my dads old store.

Now what do you think came straight into my mind?!? Started shaking and I even asked him If he stole kids!! He burst out laughing and I told him the story. I soon realised how ridiculous it was but the seed was planted. Even now when I pass that camp site I still have a split second of fear before reality kicks in.

Yes its absurd and ridiculous and I wish I could have spoken to my dad about it because I don't think he realises the impact of his innocent statement. A statement just to stop me wandering too far.

The real horror story here is... If that had such an impact on me after just being said once, imagine if it had been said to me every day. Imagine if I had to go to a special building once a week with more people telling me that Gypsies stole kids! Imagine a 24 hour TV channel telling me this! Imagine a 2000 year old book telling me this!

My friendship with Dean the gypst would be much different now if that was the case!

Off topic slightly? Maybe. But the atheist horror story for me is how a small off the cuff remark can imbed itself in my mind and change my view of an entire group of people. Maybe that's the closest I will ever get to understanding a religious mindset.
[+] 4 users Like TheStraightener's post
18-07-2015, 07:14 PM
I think it's dead-on-topic, and deeply insightful.

[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post