Your Horror Stories when you became an atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-07-2015, 12:43 AM
RE: Your Horror Stories when you became an atheist
(18-07-2015 05:41 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  It's just not that convenient for those of us who live in regions where the religion has almost total control of the minds of everyone around us, including family, to the point of being ostracized and possibly harmed if you "come out" as an atheist.

At the least, simply for saying "Hey let's pay attention to what science has to say about it before we form an opinion, eh guys?" you become "The Troublemaker of the Family™", et cetera.

I wish I could just say fuck 'em. But I can't. Even so, I had to avoid 'em for a decade before they calmed down enough to be around civilly.

Jesus loves you and if you need your ass whipped to see that, so be it.

I'm surrounded by small town Jesus loonies and violent anger is the most typical response to a questioning of their beliefs. The irony is thicker than the Oklahoma clay.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-07-2015, 12:47 AM
Fodder - I have literally been in a fistfight on the off-ramp of I-40 in Oklahoma City, when I laughed at the Creationist bumper sticker of the car in front of me at the stoplight. He got out and demanded to know what I was laughing at.

His bumper sticker said, quote, "I believe in the Big Bang: God spoke, and BANG! it happened."

That's hilarious. But apparently not funny to him.

Only after I got off my bike and grapple-threw him hard into the concrete curb (after he swung on me) did it occur to him that charging a guy in full racing leathers/armor and helmet was a Bad Idea™. In fact, I was wearing the same jacket you see in my avatar photo.

But he did teach me an important lesson about the love of Jesus, that day.

Aaaaaaah, Oklahoma!

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
19-07-2015, 12:56 AM
I grew up in Edmond and have lived on lake Texoma for the past 13 years. Looking back on the first 18 years in okc/Edmond, the religious loonies were bad, but in small town Oklahoma they take this shit to another level.
19-07-2015, 01:07 AM
(19-07-2015 12:56 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  I grew up in Edmond and have lived on lake Texoma for the past 13 years. Looking back on the first 18 years in okc/Edmond, the religious loonies were bad, but in small town Oklahoma they take this shit to another level.

I worked a year, right out of college, for the Swift trucking facility (as a biological and chemical loads inspector and process administrator) down on NW 10th, but I lived out on the NW Expressway, up near Edmond.

That whole town is looney, except for the good folks in the Paseo District, who kept me from losing my mind before I could secure another job out-of-state.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
19-07-2015, 01:13 AM
I live about 8 miles from Durant, OK and Obama came here a few days ago to speak...so our local yokals decided to line up on HW69 with their confederate flags a waving and show that uppity nigger some southern pride.
19-07-2015, 01:16 AM
Oklahoma wasn't even in the Confederacy!

Facepalm

Edit to Add: (Yes, I know, the Indian Territory had people who fought for the Union and for the Rebs, but still...)

19-07-2015, 02:45 AM
I don't have a horror story tied with atheism, can't even imagine how one would look like. But I spent most of my time amongst educated people and majority of my friends are atheists too.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
19-07-2015, 09:17 AM
Szuchow - Not a month goes by that something doesn't happen here in the States to make me jealous of Europeans. I know things aren't perfect there, either, but our particular brand of crazy is widespread enough to be truly dangerous. At least over there you guys have the numbers to make the nutters less-bold.

19-07-2015, 04:07 PM
I became an atheist when I had to suffer leaving the warm security of my mothers belly. On top of that I had to endure the hardships of breathing my own air and eating my own food.

What do you mean Life is short. It's the longest thing you're going to do.
19-07-2015, 06:48 PM
My atheist horror story is how I have to deal with old atheist necrothreads, that's about it.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post