Your Inner Fish

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-06-2015, 05:03 PM
Your Inner Fish
It is both a book and a documentary from PBS. The book's author is also the narrator for the documentary, Neil Shubin.

It is primarily about the discovery of the fossil Tiktaalik in the 2000's. A sort of fish-o-pod caught in the middle of the water to land transition.
[Image: 0205d0fabce6497fce0f9432e91bc7d51.jpg]

The documentary also follows the rest of the lineage to humans by looking at similarities shared between humans and fish/amphibians/reptiles/apes/etc. It is pretty neat.

I have a bit of a soft spot for it since the hunt for Tiktaalik began in the rocks in Pennsylvania I work in (except I work a little further down stratigraphically). If you have time, you should check out the documentary. Thumbsup

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
01-06-2015, 05:23 PM
RE: Your Inner Fish
I believe this first aired on PBS last year?

It was a great series, watched it with my 'believer' husband who was raised in a creationist home. A few weeks later we stopped at the Natural history museum in Raleigh while on a road trip. He was extremely interested in reading every.single.thing in the dinosaur section. I am not quite sure what he was so intent on figuring out but just the fact he was seeking more info from a reputable source was a great feeling. He was brainwashed as a kid, and now as an adult he his trying to hold on to what he was taught but those pesky facts keep popping up.

He is taking the info in, that is enough to satisfy me.

might have to watch it again. Wink

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
01-06-2015, 07:45 PM
RE: Your Inner Fish
I saw it on Netflix. It's still streaming there.

Highly recommend it.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post