Your (Ir)Religious Upbringing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-05-2013, 10:07 AM
RE: Your (Ir)Religious Upbringing
In reading this thread I'm compelled to save it and present it to every person who asserts that religion is fine for some people or who parrots the "to each his own" idiom. That may be fine for individual adults but invariably, most religious adults foist their nonsensical beliefs on their children... which is hugely destructive.

(26-05-2013 01:30 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  And sure, religion definitely is one of the biggest proponents of blind groupthink~

Exactly. It is only one and it's not the biggest. Reread your post and replace the word religion with statism. By any metric, statism has claimed more minds, more completely than religion could ever dream to.

And you make a very good correlation between religious belief and childhood. Everything we do is influenced by our childhood environments. Why do some people simply accept that they can be arrested and punished for peacefully possessing an innocuous bit of vegetation? Because their parents didn't employ rationality in their dissemination of rules and punishments. In simple terms, these people were taught that might makes right.

(26-05-2013 01:55 PM)Scully Wrote:  I need to clarify this. My father never raised a hand or his voice to my mother. The misogyny was solely from the point of view of the doctrine whereby women were expected to "be in submission" to their husbands.

Physical violence is the lesser of the damages done by strict authoritarianism. Especially where children are concerned. The mental injuries sustained by this sort of treatment are much longer lasting than the physical ones, severe physical injury notwithstanding.

To wit:
(26-05-2013 12:02 PM)Scully Wrote:  My mom gave me a superior look and pushed me away when I went to hug her - "You're only doing what you're supposed to be doing." Her words crushed my heart.

If you'd been slapped in the face rather than pushed away, your body would have forgotten the bruise in a few weeks. You still haven't forgotten the words.

As for how religion played into my childhood, it wasn't much of an influence. My parents identified as Presbyterian (mom) and Methodist (dad) but they never took me into a church unless someone was being married or buried. The only Bibles I ever had were gifts from other family members and neither of my parents ever used religious excuses when correcting my behavior. I read the Bible some as a child and attended Sunday school or church with friends a few times but I never, ever bought into religion. It always seemed to me to be just a bunch of really weird and boring stories. That said, I identified as a Christian until my early twenties, but only as vehicle of societal acceptance.

In spite of the lack of religion, my folks were still domineering, strict and irrational with discipline, so I wound up with a lot of the same problems the children of fundamentalists do. I rebelled, got kicked out of public school, drank and did all the drugs I could find and then finally, moved out when I was 17.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-05-2013, 11:14 AM
RE: Your (Ir)Religious Upbringing
I didn't really have a religious upbringing. My maternal grandmother grew up in the boonies of Kentucky far away from any church. She opted instead to read the bible at home. This is why my mother didn't regularly attend church as a child beyond holidays and weddings. She also reads the bible at home (nowadays not nearly as much as she used to). This autonomy from the church directly influenced my deism as a child. I only attended church for weddings, so I looked at organized religion as being quite silly. After my parents split, my dad forced me and my sister to go to church every Sunday when he was dating the woman that would eventually become the mother of my half sister. We both agreed to baptism simply because it was expected of us; however, this did not change my views on organized religion. We stopped going to church after they broke up.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply