Your Main Sticking Point..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-05-2015, 04:44 PM
Your Main Sticking Point..
There are numerous reasons why people find the god concept to be unbelievable. Many atheists have different reasons for their stance.. I'd like to know what your biggest reason is.

Mine is the vagueness of it all. And how definitions can apply to any mythical being... Its also my biggest bug bear when theists bring it up.

Oh... god is outside of space and time, he is mysterious, we can't know his ways etc. Basically, its saying I DON'T KNOW.. Therefore magic. But it goes a step further than that. They dont realise that the reasons they give can apply to ANY OTHER unprovable , mysterious being.

In Genesis, you can replace the word GOD with OBSIDIAN or JUJU or anything.. And it still reads EXACTLY the same.. We dont know how.. So lets Insert mythical being here.

They dont even give you anything specific to work with.

That's my biggest reason for disbelief... Outside of my obvious grasp of reality of course.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-05-2015, 04:55 PM
RE: Your Main Sticking Point..
For me it's pretty simple.

Either the universe is, as it is.

or

There's a mysterious asshole, who built the whole thing - just so he could peek into bedrooms at night and make sure penises are being stuffed into the correct holes.....

How fucking hard is it to figure out which one's right????

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 6 users Like onlinebiker's post
27-05-2015, 04:58 PM
I think the fact that "they" have had to continue to move God and Heaven throughout history says all you need to know.
[+] 1 user Likes Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
27-05-2015, 05:05 PM (This post was last modified: 27-05-2015 05:20 PM by Bucky Ball.)
I have a doubt or two, occasionally, but I do believe in Amun-Ra.

"HAIL to thee, Amun-Ra, Lord of the thrones of the earth, the oldest existence, ancient of heaven, support of all things;
Chief of the gods, lord of truth; father of the gods, maker of men and beasts and herbs; maker of all things above and below;
Deliverer of the sufferer and oppressed, judging the poor;
Lord of wisdom, lord of mercy; most loving, opener of every eye, source of joy, in whose goodness the gods rejoice, thou whose name is hidden.
Thou art the one, maker of all that is, the one; the only one; maker of gods and men; giving food to all.
Hail to thee, thou one with many heads; sleepless when all others sleep, adoration to thee.
Hail to thee from all creatures from every land, from the height of heaven, from the depth of the sea.
The spirits thou hast made extol thee, saying, welcome to thee, father of the fathers of the gods; we worship thy spirit which is in us."

Egyptian hymn

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
27-05-2015, 06:02 PM
(27-05-2015 04:44 PM)TheStraightener Wrote:  There are numerous reasons why people find the god concept to be unbelievable. Many atheists have different reasons for their stance.. I'd like to know what your biggest reason is.

I don't have a reason.

I believe in the "god concept"

Yes

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
27-05-2015, 06:51 PM
There is no evidence for any of the gods humans have invented. Including yours.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
27-05-2015, 07:39 PM
Evidence, or more appropriately, its lack.
27-05-2015, 08:23 PM
No one seems to even agree on what's God or even a god. How can you believe in a concept so powerful and important yet be incapable to define it? If things are so important and vital to reality they need to be well defined and have lots of evidence to back them up. I can't make the difference between belief in god and wishful thinking. Maybe that's why God is almost always good.
27-05-2015, 08:44 PM (This post was last modified: 27-05-2015 08:50 PM by GirlyMan.)
(27-05-2015 04:44 PM)TheStraightener Wrote:  There are numerous reasons why people find the god concept to be unbelievable. Many atheists have different reasons for their stance.. I'd like to know what your biggest reason is.

The concept of a postmortem preservation of identity is completely untenable. Dualism is fucking ridiculous.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
27-05-2015, 08:52 PM
(27-05-2015 08:44 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  ...
The concept of a postmortem preservation of identity is completely untenable. Dualism is fucking ridiculous.

Yabut ... one can conceive of it as a conceptual concept, can't one?

Undecided