Your Main Sticking Point..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-05-2015, 08:54 PM
RE: Your Main Sticking Point..
(27-05-2015 08:52 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(27-05-2015 08:44 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  ...
The concept of a postmortem preservation of identity is completely untenable. Dualism is fucking ridiculous.

Yabut ... one can conceive of it as a conceptual concept, can't one?

Undecided

Why?

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-05-2015, 08:56 PM
(27-05-2015 08:52 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(27-05-2015 08:44 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  ...
The concept of a postmortem preservation of identity is completely untenable. Dualism is fucking ridiculous.

Yabut ... one can conceive of it as a conceptual concept, can't one?

Undecided

[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
27-05-2015, 09:36 PM
Reality presents a very good case for why I should believe it's real. The evidence is literally all around me.

Added to the fact that even though I am a very good liar, I can't make myself believe that I'm a billionaire married to three supermodels and it's impossible for me to believe in all the religious crap.

I simply can't lie to myself that much.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
27-05-2015, 10:06 PM
(27-05-2015 08:54 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(27-05-2015 08:52 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Yabut ... one can conceive of it as a conceptual concept, can't one?

Undecided

Why?

For fun?

27-05-2015, 10:44 PM (This post was last modified: 27-05-2015 11:32 PM by Szuchow.)
Lack of evidence, multitude of gods, and god as explanation is worthless.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
27-05-2015, 11:58 PM
I don't like the dishonest feeling I get when I chat to theists. They have a lot of memes devoted to "you are not meant to understand" "just put your faith in God" - lots of that stuff.

If their God really was there, would they need this elaborate house-of-cards tower of explanations for why he's not visible or detectable?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
28-05-2015, 12:16 AM (This post was last modified: 28-05-2015 12:22 AM by Reltzik.)
My main sticking place for me is how much of all of it is based on fear that it is true, rather than rational evaluation of whether it is true.

The sticking place is the threat of hell.

The sticking place is Pasquel's Wager of "believe or burn".

The sticking place is "Bring them to God through Conversion or send them to God through the Sword", and various similar policies of varying degrees of severity throughout history and modern times.

The sticking place is that so many people are so busy trying to get me to assume it is true out of various types of fear, that I start suspecting that they are doing it (consciously or unconsciously, with their own intent or the intent of whoever originally crafted the arguments they're parroting) primarily to keep my hands off of rational evaluation.

So I said, screw that noise.

Screw it. All it takes to see past it is a smidgeon of courage.

I'm possessing of a certain degree of courage. And a much greater degree of stubbornness. So when I figured out that they were trying to SCARE me out of doing that, I went ahead and did it out of pure spite.

So that sticking place? I took my courage, and I said screw it.

I screwed my courage to the sticking pla- *vaudeville hook*

Sorry, couldn't resist. Big Grin

Seriously, though, the whole story's always been in the "fairy tale zone" for me. It's like the dreaded "friend zone" only with less hope of bennies.
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post
28-05-2015, 12:49 AM
(27-05-2015 04:44 PM)TheStraightener Wrote:  There are numerous reasons why people find the god concept to be unbelievable. Many atheists have different reasons for their stance.. I'd like to know what your biggest reason is.

Mine is the vagueness of it all. And how definitions can apply to any mythical being... Its also my biggest bug bear when theists bring it up.

Oh... god is outside of space and time, he is mysterious, we can't know his ways etc. Basically, its saying I DON'T KNOW.. Therefore magic. But it goes a step further than that. They dont realise that the reasons they give can apply to ANY OTHER unprovable , mysterious being.

In Genesis, you can replace the word GOD with OBSIDIAN or JUJU or anything.. And it still reads EXACTLY the same.. We dont know how.. So lets Insert mythical being here.

They dont even give you anything specific to work with.

That's my biggest reason for disbelief... Outside of my obvious grasp of reality of course.

For me, it's the logical paradoxes that always come up which deities.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
28-05-2015, 01:02 AM
I've always even as kid would question the Jesus story and the virgin birth. It all sounded do far fetched. Do as an adult I became very interested in the root of religion since I had kids and wanted to do the best for them. I discovered that it was all made up and no evidence for any of it.
Then the madness of all the hate, rape, murder and such it made me sick. Do I refused to raise my kids in it.
28-05-2015, 05:21 AM
I find it hard to believe in a God who is less good and less capable than I am.

Or perhaps more plainly, I don't see how I can call such a being "God".

If a flawed alien species exists and wants to make contact with us they can do so through the proper channels and speak to us like civilised beings. Don't go playing the God card on us.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post