Your Main Sticking Point..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-05-2015, 09:05 AM
RE: Your Main Sticking Point..
(29-05-2015 06:23 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(28-05-2015 07:20 PM)mycole Wrote:  My main sticking point? I prayed and he never showed up.

Everyone said, "just wait, you'll hear him." "In God's time." "Maybe his silence is his answer."

Yes, that last one was right, in a way. The silence was the answer. That there is no one there listening. But it is better to know the truth than to keep believing in fairy tales. Better to embrace reality than to be suffering under the delusion that there's a benevolent being out there, just waiting to give you "the desires of your heart."

Yeah, I had that exact same thing happen to me. When I was having trouble believing I would pray to God just to know he was out there. There is a fundamental difference on getting a silent response to "God, can I have some money to fix this?" and "God, are you even out there?".

What kind of god lets his followers doubt his existence?

I got tired of the "heads god wins' "tails god wins" excuses for answered and unanswered prayer.
I came to realize this was how a used car salesman would sell a car that doesn't work.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-05-2015, 11:06 AM
(29-05-2015 09:05 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(29-05-2015 06:23 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Yeah, I had that exact same thing happen to me. When I was having trouble believing I would pray to God just to know he was out there. There is a fundamental difference on getting a silent response to "God, can I have some money to fix this?" and "God, are you even out there?".

What kind of god lets his followers doubt his existence?

I got tired of the "heads god wins' "tails god wins" excuses for answered and unanswered prayer.
I came to realize this was how a used car salesman would sell a car that doesn't work.

Exactly!

So, if we are to believe that we are created in the image and likeness of God (sic), and we have intelligence, reason, senses to understand our surroundings, why would that God demand that our only way to "know" him was through NOT using those same faculties, but through purposely trying to *suspend* those faculties and instead relying on faith? It's untenable. It's what, like you said, a used car salesman would do.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes mycole's post
29-05-2015, 07:03 PM
When I was LDS, one of the bigger red flags was the constant insistence that we avoid "anti" literature. They encourage questioning only if it falls under their specific parameters. This is speaking of the leadership, not so much the individual members.

Another major gripe for me, was the need to qualify for certain blessings. They hold it over people's heads under the banner of "worthiness", while so many in the membership struggle to reconcile their faith.

I could go on for days, but those are two examples that stand out to me in glaring fashion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user