Your Moral Compass

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-09-2010, 11:36 AM
RE: Your Moral Compass
ThinkingNorse Wrote:I am a little surprised that nobody has put much emphasis on the evolutionary basis of our morals. The code of what is morally right is so universal throughout the world that it in my opinion can not be a matter of culture or upbringing. It has to be either a common evolutionary trait or the result of divine intervention. Guess witch one I find the most probable. Tongue
Just because they're universal, does'nt mean they could'nt be a matter of culture. It might just be universal that certain morals within humen are the most successful, no matter where on earth the culture has developed.
Telly time-->

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-09-2010, 11:39 AM

My morality comes from how I want and do not want to be treated. I treat people and things as I would want to be treated myself. Plain and simple.

I don't like getting punched in the face, so I will not do that to someone else.
Quote this message in a reply
22-09-2010, 12:21 AM

There is a viewpoint in this video that I think might help you understand how morality can be looked upon and what a humanist needs to do to be moral.

http://www.youtube.com/user/philhellenes...I7TKW_QQbA
22-09-2010, 12:57 AM
My moral compass is a lot stronger and clearer now than it was before I became an atheist. It is now dependant on living as I want to, peacefully and on good terms with those around me, rather than always trying to figure out "what I am supposed to do and how I am supposed to act."
22-09-2010, 09:00 AM

(21-09-2010 11:16 AM)ThinkingNorseman Wrote:  P.S. This has nothing to do with this thread but I want to ask a favor of all of you, if I may. As you may have picked up, English is a second language to me. If you catch me misspelling a word, or using a word in the wrong way, would you be so kind as to correct me?
Thanx. Big Grin

You write English better than a lot of native speakers, just so you know. I wouldn't have known that English was your second language unless you had mentioned where you live in a previous post.
22-09-2010, 09:15 AM
Through what I have seen, I myself have developed my own set of morals. I'd rather follow my morals and feel satisfied knowing I have done so than follow my sky daddy's morals which I would question on a daily basis.

[Image: 4hs9p5.png]

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
-Stephen Colbert
22-09-2010, 01:34 PM
(22-09-2010 09:00 AM)athnostic Wrote:  
(21-09-2010 11:16 AM)ThinkingNorseman Wrote:  P.S. This has nothing to do with this thread but I want to ask a favor of all of you, if I may. As you may have picked up, English is a second language to me. If you catch me misspelling a word, or using a word in the wrong way, would you be so kind as to correct me?
Thanx. Big Grin

You write English better than a lot of native speakers, just so you know. I wouldn't have known that English was your second language unless you had mentioned where you live in a previous post.

thanx Blush

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
23-09-2010, 03:09 AM
(22-09-2010 01:34 PM)ThinkingNorseman Wrote:  thanx Blush

U spelt thanks rong.Tongue
24-09-2010, 08:24 PM
I think our forum is an example of evolutionary morality. Look at where everybody lives; we're all over the place. We've all been raised in different situations, some more or less religious than others. Yet, we seem to all have the basic principle of "be nice to others". This could only mean that morality is inherent in humans (and many other social animals). Furthermore, our species wouldn't have survived to this point if we didn't have some sort of moral system embedded into our brains.

What the morals of religion do not tell us is when it is okay to lie (ex. when you're hiding Jews from the Nazis), when it is okay to kill (in self-defense, or in defense of others), when it is okay to steal (ex. when you're dirt poor in 19th-century London and you need to feed your 5 siblings o.0), etc, etc. Real morality is knowing when to break the rules/laws, and when to abide by them.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
24-09-2010, 08:33 PM

(24-09-2010 08:24 PM)SecularStudent Wrote:  I think our forum is an example of evolutionary morality. Look at where everybody lives; we're all over the place. We've all been raised in different situations, some more or less religious than others. Yet, we seem to all have the basic principle of "be nice to others". This could only mean that morality is inherent in humans (and many other social animals). Furthermore, our species wouldn't have survived to this point if we didn't have some sort of moral system embedded into our brains.

What the morals of religion do not tell us is when it is okay to lie (ex. when you're hiding Jews from the Nazis), when it is okay to kill (in self-defense, or in defense of others), when it is okay to steal (ex. when you're dirt poor in 19th-century London and you need to feed your 5 siblings o.0), etc, etc. Real morality is knowing when to break the rules/laws, and when to abide by them.

You definitely have a point there. People act morally despite religion, not because of it. It blinds people to contingencies.