Your OWN personal morality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2012, 08:10 AM
RE: Your OWN personal morality
(03-02-2012 02:40 AM)bemore Wrote:  Treat others as you yourself would want to be treated.

Unless, of course, you are a masochist! Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2012, 05:15 PM
I don't have much of a morality to speak of, that's because I don't have much of a life in which I'd need it. Yet. There are lofty ideals, but little opportunity to prove them and addiction on the free internet. So what about the actual morality?

- Digital buccaneery is all right, as long as it's not for financial gain and I can't afford to pay for it.
- Seek to know myself from within and from the outside and try to correct or go around the countless flaws that are found.
- Try to obey the voice of intuition or anything that might be it. When reason seeks reasons to do something instead of ways of doing it, intuition is the way to go.
- Never be rude and loud. Keep decency, manners and general harmony of environment. Don't make ruckus.
- Always be original, progressive, special, even freaky, or keep silent. All but boring, ordinary, redundant and conventional. Don't forget new ideas and always use them in writing or speech on nearest opportunity.
- Educate people. Curiosity is sacred and joyful and must be fed like fire. Spread interesting and important information.
- Try to understand everything and everyone and put themselves in their shoes. And try to make others understand myself, if they're curious enough.
- Prefer non-material values of information, data, energy, academic degree or hopefully someday given right environment a high-quality social relationship. Material values are too hard to come by anyway, as the fox said about sour grapes.
- Share when possible, but not money, if I've got no regular or large income.
- Don't waste materials and energy. Close doors, shut down lights, hibernate computers, re-use plastic bags. Share excessive food.

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
04-02-2012, 08:02 PM
When would political revolution be immoral? The British government believed that American revolutionists were traitors and murderers. The Americans decided that being ruled without representation was not right and decided to fight. But that action was based on a consensus of opinion by the Americans.
04-02-2012, 08:03 PM
(04-02-2012 08:02 PM)Jasrace Wrote:  When would political revolution be immoral? The British government believed that American revolutionists were traitors and murderers. The Americans decided that being ruled without representation was not right and decided to fight. But that action was based on a consensus of opinion by the Americans.

There was not a wide consensus, there were plenty of loyalists.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-02-2012, 08:20 PM
(04-02-2012 08:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-02-2012 08:02 PM)Jasrace Wrote:  When would political revolution be immoral? The British government believed that American revolutionists were traitors and murderers. The Americans decided that being ruled without representation was not right and decided to fight. But that action was based on a consensus of opinion by the Americans.

There was not a wide consensus, there were plenty of loyalists.

Indeed.

William Edward Hartpole Lecky Wrote:The American Revolution, like most others, was the work of an energetic minority who succeeded in committing an undecided and fluctuating majority to courses for which they had little love, and leading them step by step to a position from which it was impossible to recede.
04-02-2012, 08:58 PM
Essentially, to me, morality has to be a very personal thing, based on my acquired careful consideration of how things operate in this word.

As human beings, our most basic needs are food, water, air, and shelter.
This may sound simplistic but a large percentage of Earth's inhabitants lacks these essentials.

When greed dictates our demands become insanely greedy; crazed consumerism runs rampant, wars rage, intolerance is endemic, and our "needs' become evil masters and we their clones.

Where we intuit --the good-- perhaps all we can, and should do, is follow that volition as best we can.

"Lean,keen, and so serene"~~~
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
04-02-2012, 09:28 PM
Tongue RE: Your OWN personal morality
AT the end of a very very long life, there is only one moment left. At that point, will that be enough ?

My morality : You be nice to me, I'll be nice to you.
Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist & Levitating Yogi
John 15:16 : "You did not choose me, I chose you, so that you might go and bear fruit--fruit that will last"

Lots of fruits in beligion.