Your Potential Children and Kids

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2012, 12:04 AM
RE: Your Potential Children and Kids
Plus kids are expensive.
Never planned on having kids and that wont be changing any time soon.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2012, 01:11 AM
Perhaps the teenage years and the princess bitchface syndrome[1] are nature's way of helpings us let go of our children.

I've been too proud of the achievements of my children (Miss 6 and Mr 3) to date to mourn the loss of their younger selves, but then I am a guy. I'm a believer in giving children space to grow up and letting them hurt themselves a little and generally find their own way. I try to tell my children the truth when they ask me a question, and more or less give the full adult explanation of things.

[1] http://www.penguin.com.au/products/97801...e-syndrome

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
11-08-2012, 02:04 AM
I'm not saying kids don't need to spread the wings and try life out on their own, and learn and experience.

I'm saying it's going against every grain in my body to let that happen. Because of the biological urge to protect them and care for them, it is so hard for me. My beliefs in how to raise my children are in conflict with the integral desire to just never let go.
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
11-08-2012, 02:55 AM
Yep, parenting definitely creates some very intense feelings, protection being just one of them. I find that to think not too deeply about it too much is a fairly good way of keeping those awful 'what if' pangs of loss at bay.
Those feelings are a lot easier to handle now that my kid's now an adult and has a life totally independent of me. I think he is a very caring and positive human being and I'm pretty stoked about the man he has become. But fuck, man why couldn't he have been a freakin doctor or something!!! Weeping
Smile

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
12-08-2012, 05:25 PM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2012 05:58 PM by GirlyMan.)
(10-08-2012 04:45 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  If you don't have kids yet, I suggest not taking that road. Parenting children hurts- like, a lot.

So. Much.

Pffft, I just double my testosterone dose when I start feeling like that. Thank God for pharmacology.

(11-08-2012 12:04 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Plus kids are expensive.

Apparently grandkids are even more expensive. ManlyGirl made me buy a second fucking house so she could be close to her granddaughter.

(11-08-2012 02:04 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  I'm not saying kids don't need to spread the wings and try life out on their own, and learn and experience.

I'm saying it's going against every grain in my body to let that happen. Because of the biological urge to protect them and care for them, it is so hard for me. My beliefs in how to raise my children are in conflict with the integral desire to just never let go.

I let it happen with my daughter when she was 18 yo (not like she required my consent at that point). She moved out to kim's godforsaken territory in Kansas with her boyfriend to attend some community college in Pittsburg. When she told me she was going to school in Pittsburgh, I was like "You know your old man can't afford CMU, you get a scholarship to Pitt?" "No dad, not that Pittsburgh." The fuck? ... Now she's back living with me 'cause in her words "This living shit is expensive." ... No shit daughter of mine.

Sweet child o' mine. Thumbsup

[Image: jackie.jpg]

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
12-08-2012, 06:18 PM
(11-08-2012 02:55 AM)aurora Wrote:  But fuck, man why couldn't he have been a freakin doctor or something!!! Weeping

Dang, can't be that bad... uh... unless he's a stripper or something. Dodgy

_______

Girly!! Pittsburgh State University is OK Thumbsup it's not a Ju-Co, it's a fully accredited State University. Gary Busey went there for a while. Undecided Probably not the best example from the student body, but it's all I got.
Oh... and sheeee-it... that place is even more out in the sticks than me! Confused Laughat
She's probably better off hanging with Dad for a bit. Yes

No kids for me. Shy I did want at least one ... sigh ... but things having to do with was, are probably not too important to now.

I had a foster kid for a couple of years... right smack in the middle of her 12-14 teenage years. I had to check often to see if I still had hair, but things went fairly smoothly compared to some horror stories one hears. Make no mistake; she was evil incarnate and in some ways, I like to think I didn't discourage her true nature.

All in all... she was a good kid, who deserved more than she was handed. I hope I helped her to at least be strong enough to see through the bullshit of the world, and to stand on her own two feet. Sometimes, I think the most basic things, will be the only things that keeps anyone going.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
12-08-2012, 06:21 PM
Your Potential Children and Kids
(12-08-2012 05:25 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(10-08-2012 04:45 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  If you don't have kids yet, I suggest not taking that road. Parenting children hurts- like, a lot.

So. Much.

Pffft, I just double my testosterone dose when I start feeling like that. Thank God for pharmacology.

(11-08-2012 12:04 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Plus kids are expensive.

Apparently grandkids are even more expensive. ManlyGirl made me buy a second fucking house so she could be close to her granddaughter.

(11-08-2012 02:04 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  I'm not saying kids don't need to spread the wings and try life out on their own, and learn and experience.

I let it happen with my daughter when she was 18 yo (not like she required my consent at that point). She moved out to kim's godforsaken territory in Kansas with her boyfriend to attend some community college in Pittsburg. When she told me she was going to school in Pittsburgh, I was like "You know your old man can't afford CMU, you get a scholarship to Pitt?" "No dad, not that Pittsburgh." The fuck? ... Now she's back living with me 'cause in her words "This living shit is expensive." ... No shit daughter of mine.

Sweet child o' mine. Thumbsup

[Image: jackie.jpg]

This does not compute. GirlyBeard is obviously your seed, but no way in hell you spawned that. ^

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
12-08-2012, 06:26 PM
(12-08-2012 06:18 PM)kim Wrote:  
(11-08-2012 02:55 AM)aurora Wrote:  But fuck, man why couldn't he have been a freakin doctor or something!!! Weeping

Dang, can't be that bad... uh... unless he's a stripper or something. Dodgy

_______

Girly!! Pittsburgh State University is OK Thumbsup it's not a Ju-Co, it's a fully accredited State University. Gary Busey went there for a while. Undecided Probably not the best example from the student body, but it's all I got.
Oh... and sheeee-it... that place is even more out in the sticks than me! Confused Laughat
She's probably better off hanging with Dad for a bit. Yes

No kids for me. Shy I did want at least one ... sigh ... but things having to do with was, are probably not too important to now.

I had a foster kid for a couple of years... right smack in the middle of her 12-14 teenage years. I had to check often to see if I still had hair, but things went fairly smoothly compared to some horror stories one hears. Make no mistake; she was evil incarnate and in some ways, I like to think I didn't discourage her true nature.

All in all... she was a good kid, who deserved more than she was handed. I hope I helped her to at least be strong enough to see through the bullshit of the world, and to stand on her own two feet. Sometimes, I think the most basic things, will be the only things that keeps anyone going.

Nah, he works in warehouses with forklifts and stuff but like every parent I sorta wished he was more ambitious. As long as he's happy that's all that matters.

Good job on the fostering Thumbsup That can be a task and a half!!!

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
12-08-2012, 06:30 PM
(12-08-2012 06:21 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  This does not compute. GirlyBeard is obviously your seed, but no way in hell you spawned that. ^

Gorgeous!!
If she thinks she needs to come back to Kansas, make sure she goes to KU in Lawrence, for fucks sake!! So I can keep an eye on her for ya. Wink
Lawrence = Awesome town!

cause there's no fucking way I'm going down to Pitts for any fucking reason. Dodgy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
12-08-2012, 06:36 PM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2012 06:51 PM by GirlyMan.)
(12-08-2012 06:18 PM)kim Wrote:  Girly!! Pittsburgh State University is OK Thumbsup it's not a Ju-Co, it's a fully accredited State University.

Fair enough, but it ain't in the same tier as University of Maryland. And now she's back with $20K in student loan debt finishing out at Maryland. She could've avoided that $20K debt if she was thinking with more than just her goddam hormones. I mean the boyfriend's since been dumped. Kids, what you gonna do?

(12-08-2012 06:18 PM)kim Wrote:  Gary Busey went there for a while.

Well now you got me interested. ... That's a fucker I'd like to drink with. Think it'd be a draw.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post