Your best craziest theist friend?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-06-2012, 09:21 PM
Your best craziest theist friend?
I have a facebook friend who I get along with quite well despite the fact that the's a little tiny bit completely bat.... insane. Here's a sample post in response to a video I put up. The video is an excerpt of Neil Degrasse Tyson talking about the 1% difference between chimp DNA and our DNA, noting that that difference is the difference between climbing through the forest and putting up space telescopes, and pondering what another 1% change in DNA could possibly achieve:

"I love the second part: we are more so unlike chimps and more like sheep really- all gone astray. It's almost as if evil penetrated into out DNA. That other 99% (actually 100%) higher being would be Jesus. That 1% is Cross. He chose by act to make that wooden thing more precious if it was made of gold! The simplest Gospel of Jesus is the key, Science must understand this Back to Jesus- He still never betrays Himself (lile we're prone to do) and shows us Respect and Grace even in our chimp state (Paul actually calls us 'sheep') So yes, in doing so He shows us how to be pure. Just as gravity is overwhelming and yet we can overcome it for a second or two by jumping up..so is the doing good business, evil is a constant, that needs to be multiplied with something good (Gospel story) if it is to remain good. Is not true that even Saints need ongoing daily forgiveness, dying to themselves? Jesus Himself and Paul under the divine guidance of Holy Spirit both suggest we must forgive others if we are to be forgiven. Mimic good of Jesus with sincerity. Now tricky part: This good never comes from within, like as in -inherited. It is always generated by God and His Holy Spirit here and now. We know why is this, as Christians- So no one would boast and all credit would be returning to God. God's power circles in a way. His Word never goes out without accomplishing His Will. God is never responsible for our mistakes, He tempts no-one. It is our (sinful) desires that eventually will kill each one of us. So also arguing that taking an organism whose cellular composition ( and looks!) are 99% different and 1% identical (radically opposite from scenario described in Mr Tyson's video) would somehow reciprocate in a smallest differences we should ignore..or embrace..or.. (feel free to place different concept). Suppose for a second things are so. Wording focusing on opposite here helps picture our intent direction. But reality I'm sure goes, as life forms suggest, in ANY conceivable direction imaginable. But original intent to keep sinning is never held too long under the surface. If you are to have Theory of Everything, 'you' must know how to use it and why to use it and when etc. Devil too wants to know it, so God is Wise with who knows it easy and who stares and yet can not see Wink"

He's a really nice guy and pro-science, wants action on climate change, etc. I can't fault the guy really.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-06-2012, 10:49 PM
RE: Your best craziest theist friend?
Most all of us have a few theist friends. FYI - Christianity is pretty popular still -- pretty good odds of having a theist for a friend.
19-06-2012, 11:19 PM
I have a friend whom I love in person and we have a great time. The minute we became FB friends I regretted it. The Jesus filter is lacking on the internet for her and I would puke a little in my mouth daily. Had to take her off the feed to save the friendship.
20-06-2012, 12:01 AM
Ha- I have quite a few Theist acquaintances and quite a lot of Atheist acquaintances, as well. Many of my best friends are kind of in the middle - most really don't give a shit one way or the other. Know some buddhists- wonderful people - they don't give a shit about your religion or lack thereof... they got their own shit and that's enough. Then there are the Rennies... New Age type folk - I call 'em Rennies as most hang out at Renaissance festivals -many are Pagan or Wiccan. Much more interesting to talk with than the run of the mill mainstream Theists.

I've known a few mormons -they seem ok except they don't do coffee; weirdos. Know a couple of Jehovah Witnesses ... seem pretty nice - but there's some underlying judgement going on, can't put my finger on it... plus, I like to make holiday decorations once in a while, and they pretty much screw me on my need to give that shit away. I have -ooh, don't think I have ever hung out with a Scientologist. I'd kind of like to - I have a lot of questions to ask them.

I'd say at the moment, there's a deist friend I like hanging with, more than most. He hates all religions and Theists right now because he's really getting ripped by his wife's religious family, and friends telling him how his life is screwed up because he doesn't go to church. He's told me stories, they are complete hypocrites. I think he likes getting together with me - no pressure.

Thing is; he's smart - the guy has the ability to reason and think logically. However, he's kind of socially retarded. I don't even know why Theists would want to be around him - he's big and fat and obnoxious as hell; not sure he's representative material... ha - I love the shit out of him. He's a history buff, but he loves it when I go off on the edited works of the bible and Rome. Who knows, he might de-convert. He's asking questions in that direction. Yea - he's probably my favorite (for now) Theist. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
21-06-2012, 09:44 AM
I read the topic and instantly thought of my craziest Theist friend. Then I read your OP. You win. Hands down. You're friend is crazier, no questions asked.

[Image: 553193_635722216633_1026343474_n.jpg]
22-06-2012, 05:29 AM
The same fellow, on the subject of quantum physics and the relationship between physics and philosophy:

If I'm building a sand castle on the beach and grab bulldozers to haul in all the sand, wouldn't be wise for me to accept 2.5 year old's small cup of sand to be added as well? Especially if castle is standing on low tide. Based on this example, I'd conclude that we need all the help we can get, if for nothing else but inspiration or fun of it alone. Merging both curves, from philosophers and physicists could 'set the spark that set the forest on fire' Smile Good job, (name deleted)

Now universe was created, no doubt. Divine intent for it was order. Or was it? At the present, I want to know clearly if the fall of man contaminated whole of the Universe as well, not just the Earth. How far does Creation extend?

If all the Universe except Earth would somehow magically cease to exist this very moment, we would still see the light of those stars in our eyes. If smallest particle/wave radiate and exchange theirvstates from the same perceived or worse, real center of atom/this seen universe, could we not presume that there could be starts and stops along the way into the eternity that make us far fetched onto this current pane?

Or waves and particles that can't help but bring into fruition whatever "they see"

There is definitely Divine Trinity. That is brilliant. There in making as we speak is divine Family with Redeemed Church being added to it one day soon as well, making 4 total Smile Its almost like 4 states of matter with their all compelxities and personalities added to it. What personality (not attribute) are we free to add from this example to your sample?

‎"As the art mimics life, so does creation mimics God"

The closest thing I could suspect that cause 'behavior' as wave/particle exhibits would be the ancient struggle of good and evil well documented in the Bible. Men may turn good only if led by Holy Spirit, after hearing Gospel, for example. Until so happens, they ARE all sorts of things, sad, desperate, evil, deluded and misled, slaves to their plans and money etc. So perhaps matter too, before it turns good, must die to itself and accept the condition of Reality. We know why evil is in the world. We know what sin produces. We know what death is. We know who carried that Cross of pardon for us -These are huge things that Creation is simply unable to ignore! Creation os being used to accomplish this! Seek and you shall find your proof down to the smallest particle- it is so and there is no other way. Spiritual will always lord over physical or it will not make sense. Go on find what is it that makes these subatomic particles shift their chosen properties. I think it is God, who is Holy and Just and who demands accountability, on ALL levels of Creation as we know it. Full fairness is maintained, be it thru one man who condemned the Earth, or thru One who saved it. Salvation is brought to us from within, when Holy Spirit witnesses to our hearts. Yet is it? How can we know unless we hear.. and how can we hear unless someone speaks to us? And how will someone speak unless sent by the will of God? Some things complete this circle* faster, some slower, according to their nature and their conditions. All Praise of God

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
24-09-2014, 07:47 AM
I'm necroing this thread. Deal with it.

My friend has been away from facebook for a while, but seems to have been drawn into it again. He's still a little off his meds. Since the last time I shared his posts he has gotten into a natural health news rut. His main targets of hate these days are: GMOs, vaccination, Muslims and gays... not necessarily in that order. Today's gem:

[Image: 12685937764_998f8c6cb9_b.jpg]
Quote:Tobacco lobby agenda at work here. This man despite his apparent great experience in life hasn't learned much- that cancer stick would send him broke and dead too soon - not to mention the duck, the horse, the cow, the pig, and any other living creature would look just as stupid with this thing hanging out of their mouths (?!)
Discusting really. Old trick of distraction used here to sell to those less aware and profit from their ignorance by planting/passing unconscious thought of cancer stick as palatable. We humans do it with everything else: we will add salt if meal is lacking, or sugar, or spice etc. Gay agenda uses similar trick to sell their sin: "it doesn't matter if you're tall, short, old, young, white , black, gay or straight- as long as you respect me I'll respect you". What a load of crap right there. Let him who has ear hear.

[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
24-09-2014, 08:04 AM
(24-09-2014 07:47 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  I'm necroing this thread. Deal with it.

My friend has been away from facebook for a while, but seems to have been drawn into it again. He's still a little off his meds. Since the last time I shared his posts he has gotten into a natural health news rut. His main targets of hate these days are: GMOs, vaccination, Muslims and gays... not necessarily in that order. Today's gem:

[Image: 12685937764_998f8c6cb9_b.jpg]
Quote:Tobacco lobby agenda at work here. This man despite his apparent great experience in life hasn't learned much- that cancer stick would send him broke and dead too soon - not to mention the duck, the horse, the cow, the pig, and any other living creature would look just as stupid with this thing hanging out of their mouths (?!)
Discusting really. Old trick of distraction used here to sell to those less aware and profit from their ignorance by planting/passing unconscious thought of cancer stick as palatable. We humans do it with everything else: we will add salt if meal is lacking, or sugar, or spice etc. Gay agenda uses similar trick to sell their sin: "it doesn't matter if you're tall, short, old, young, white , black, gay or straight- as long as you respect me I'll respect you". What a load of crap right there. Let him who has ear hear.

So your friend completely misses the rather amusing point and instead uses it as a launch pad for his misguided missile of hateful stupidity. Nice.

He's your friend? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
24-09-2014, 08:15 AM
(19-06-2012 09:21 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  I have a facebook friend who I get along with quite well despite the fact that the's a little tiny bit completely bat.... insane.

You and I have different definitions of "little tiny bit" Laugh out load

I don't have the patience to deal with that level of insane.

The older I get the less I want to deal with nutters.

My craziest ones have to be my Inlaws, MIL and her Thanksgiving story about how the native American Indians were thankful for the white people saving them physically and spiritually made me bust out laughing on the spot. I seriously thought she was joking because it was so ridiculous. She stormed off, one of many times she would be pissed at me. The next time I saw her at Thanksgiving she paid to fly about 20 family members across the country to Arizona (none of us lived there), she scheduled every single moment of a weeks visit. Again, pissed at me when I bucked the plan and wouldn't watch (or allow my children) one minute of the 12 hours of the DVDS series The Truth Project.
Or maybe it was the glossy paged mini magazine about why I shouldn't let my kids read Harry Potter, or the "Marriage Kit" from Focus on the Family and Dr Dobson. I can't really figure out which one is the craziest thing she has done.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
24-09-2014, 11:57 AM
Being a closet atheist I have lots of theist friends. Some of them are great in person, but get real "holier than thou" on facebook and what not. Several of them I blocked their feed, but did not defriend. A couple are on the verge of getting blocked now. I get tired of seeing every nice sunset, flower, puppy, etc accompanied by a bible verse and sermon.

I do the same to the uber liberal and conservative friends I have. Extreme views from both sides get to me.
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post