Your biggest regret

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-06-2015, 06:43 PM
RE: Your biggest regret
(05-06-2015 06:22 PM)BnW Wrote:  
(05-06-2015 04:25 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I think you can still have past regrets but be happy where you are in life now. I think it's sometimes helpful to look back and say, I would have done such and such differently. That way you don't end up repeating the same mistake(s) again.

But if I did such-and-such differently who knows who I am and what life is like. Our failures and mistakes are all part of the journey, they are all part of what defines us. I wouldn't change any of it. That doesn't mean I'm not retrospective and don't learn from mistakes. But, that is incremental. My point is, I have no regrets. It's all part of my journey to now. The good, the bad, the heartbreak, the triumphs. It all adds up to me today.

Why would I want to change any of it? No regrets. Ever. We do the best we can and we move forward.

I agree, I don't think you should waste your life crying over spilled soy milk. I just meant that there are some things we may have an opportunity to do differently in the future. For example, Clockwork said he kinda wished he told a girlfriend/friend how he really felt about her. If the opportunity arises again--he may decide to tell her how he really feels, thereby eliminating the regret, and possibly winding up with the girl of his dreams. (I hope it's okay that I used you as an example, Clockwork Tongue )

For me, I regret letting my religion dictate how I lived my life. It's not that I stay up at night crying over what could have been--I don't. But, I do remember the type of life I lived back then and I won't let that happen again--not to me or any children I have. For me, it's not about crying over regret--but remembering the regret--so it never happens again--not with religions/relationships/whatever.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
05-06-2015, 06:46 PM
I regret silly short term things - like not going to bed early enough the day before.

I regret nothing important, really, not even the things that had me lose my ass a couple of times, because I learned how to avoid this in the future and that allowed me to be what I am today.

Most negative things were either valuable learning experiences or stepping stones. I wouldn't change a thing.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
05-06-2015, 06:48 PM
Sometimes I've said things I've regretted later like...

I do

Sadcryface

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
05-06-2015, 06:54 PM
Remembering regret so it never happens again? How does this work? Are all regrets built in each previous incarnation alike? Can one regret be paired with another? Can losing one regret cancel another or prevent a future regret?

Or do I misunderstand the entire concept?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
05-06-2015, 07:07 PM
(05-06-2015 06:54 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Remembering regret so it never happens again? How does this work? Are all regrets built in each previous incarnation alike? Can one regret be paired with another? Can losing one regret cancel another or prevent a future regret?

Or do I misunderstand the entire concept?

For me it is remembering how I was when religion took over my life: I didn't do anything unless I checked in with God first--always trying to do what was right in God's eyes and not necessarily what I wanted. I don't want to go back to that way of living ever again. I almost ended a relationship because of religion, chose jobs based on religion, chose friends based on religion, made major decisions based on religion. For me it is more about remembering how all of that took over my life. The regret I have from living for religion reminds me why I never want to go back to any of that--despite the promptings from my Christian friends and family. I am very happy now and don't dwell on the past--for me the regret in this case is more of a reminder.
05-06-2015, 07:15 PM
Oh I see. Glad you got through all that. And thanks for clearing it up for me. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
05-06-2015, 07:16 PM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2015 09:45 PM by yakherder.)
(05-06-2015 06:05 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  Not taking the CIA job. No, not superspy stuff.

Not regret, but have thought about it: Not telling you-know-who how I felt about her. Though she did very well after she moved.

Heck I wish I'd gone straight to combat arms rather than being bored my first few years in the military as a cryptologist. Briefly working at NSA/CSS in Japan was worth bragging points, but it got boring as shit real quick. And I knew it would, too. I knew being in an office wasn't for me, but I did well on the ASVAB, aced the math and electronics portions, and let the recruiter talk me into it.

Intel, bleh. I just wanna get paid to run around in the mountains blowing things up. Is that too much to ask for?

'Murican Canadian
05-06-2015, 07:31 PM
(05-06-2015 02:15 PM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  I probably would admit to regretting something if I thought about it long enough but offhand I would say nothing. Every decision has led me to where i am now and I love the person I have evolved into. Cheerio mateys! Thumbsup

I'm calling bullshit. Drinking Beverage
05-06-2015, 07:33 PM
(05-06-2015 04:21 PM)BnW Wrote:  I have no regrets. Regrets are what you have when your not happy with where you are in life. I have a great wife, 2 great sons, and everyone is healthy and happy. Sure, life isn't always perfect but if I went back and changed anything, even something bad, I may not be the same person with the same life.

So, no regrets for me.

Bullshit!
05-06-2015, 07:35 PM
I have a few regrets, the greatest one being - allowing my marriage to fall apart.
[+] 1 user Likes TheBear's post