Your biggest regret

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-06-2015, 07:37 PM
RE: Your biggest regret
I regret not taking advantage of the opportunity to pursue a proper education when I actually had the time and energy to do so, and learn all the things I wish I could know now. Of course, back then I didn't give a shit, and I wouldn't have all the crazy memories I do now if I'd been spending all that time studying.

I suppose it's a bit of a catch 42...

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
05-06-2015, 07:49 PM
I've made some stupid choices along the way. I'd like to think I'm a bit wiser these days. I guess I regret not having the courage to choose the career I wanted instead letting my husband's career take precedence. I thought that was me being a loving wife, when really, he chose not to support me in my very much attainable dreams and I allowed it to stop me.

BUT I probably would have never known how much I love critical care and trauma, chosen dermatology (what I thought I wanted to do from age 4 until nursing school), and been bored out of my fucking mind looking at moles on old people's asses all day long. Instead, I've had the opportunity to play a major role helping others in pivotal moments of their lives on their worst/scariest/most painful/sometimes final day. I don't regret a moment of it.

I could say I regret purchasing a house at 23 and the financial burden it brought, but then I have so many great memories in that house - like my son learning to crawl and walk and talk, his first birthday where he smeared cake all over his belly, planting silver lavender in the front garden, the roman candle war in the backyard between the second shift police officers when they got off work on the Fourth of July, and damn if I didn't absolutely freaking love my giant fabulous bathroom.

I could say my biggest regret is marrying my husband, but it produced our son. Nothing is more precious to me - he's my special snowflake.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 8 users Like Nurse's post
05-06-2015, 08:04 PM
Re: Your biggest regret
I regret so many things, it's ridiculous. I could be the poster child for poor life choices.

One of the biggest would be throwing away a full college scholarship.
05-06-2015, 08:08 PM
Nurse, I believe life is is celebrated by the very existence of people such as yourself.
My most sincere respects. Dale

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
05-06-2015, 08:18 PM
(05-06-2015 08:08 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Nurse, I believe life is is celebrated by the very existence of people such as yourself.
My most sincere respects. Dale

Sadcryface Thank you for the kind words.

Hug

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
05-06-2015, 09:20 PM
(05-06-2015 07:16 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Heck I wish I'd gone straight to combat arms rather than being bored my first few years in the military as a cryptologist. ... on the ASVAB, aced the math and electronics portions, and let the recruiter talk me into it.

That's what led me to that, actually. I did well on the ASVAB, even found an error in the coding part (maybe intentional?), but couldn't get into the Air Force because of a knee problem. Recruiter also kept talking to me about cryptolinguistics.
05-06-2015, 09:53 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2015 07:18 AM by WhiskeyDebates.)
I killed a man in Reno, just to watch him die. That was largely considered to be a bad move by most.

In all seriousness though I lost my wife and child to a drunk driver when I was 21. I take the swearing of oaths and my personal honor EXTREMELY seriously, even as a child, and to me the inability to protect my family or avenge them (the driver died as well) broke me to such an extent that I'm still picking up little pieces even now. More so though I regret not having the strength to survive it and move on. I did a lot of damage (and a some modicum of good) in the intervening years. Couldn't put down roots anywhere, never lived in the same country for longer then 6 months and on average 4 for well over 6 years. I was never bitter or angry but my passion for life died, I wrestled with a brutal nihilism for years. Until just 3 months ago I had spent a decade without loving anyone else or allowing anyone to love me, which comes with it's own bag of emotional deamons. Yet I love again and like a new spring so much of that cold dark recedes, and what feels like an ages worth of tragedy rolls off my shoulders and my burden is lightened .
I regret being stuck in grief and guilt for so long though, scars to bare for a life time.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 3 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
06-06-2015, 12:55 AM
Good luck to you Whiskey.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
06-06-2015, 01:18 AM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2015 09:41 AM by Thumpalumpacus.)
I wish I had finished college. I wish my son's mom and I had been able to keep his family together under one roof. I wish I had been able to say goodbye to dad as he lay dying.

Regrets? Perhaps, I suppose it's how deeply I wish I had or hadn't done this or that. But I'm much more about tomorrow than yesterday, so I don't sweat the small stuff, or the stuff I can't control.
06-06-2015, 08:34 AM
I honestly don't know. It's not something I think about.