Your bullshit quote of the week.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2015, 12:53 PM
RE: Your bullshit quote of the week.
Many Bible commentaries have several pages on contrition and sorrow regarding repentance. However, they begin with the clear statement that in Greek, the word repentance means "change your mind".

It's as simple as the Bible puts it, "...Godly sorrow leads to repentance..." which is "contrition leads to a change of mind" rather than "contrition leads to contrition".

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2015, 01:02 PM
(06-02-2015 12:53 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Many Bible commentaries have several pages on contrition and sorrow regarding repentance. However, they begin with the clear statement that in Greek, the word repentance means "change your mind".

It's as simple as the Bible puts it, "...Godly sorrow leads to repentance..." which is "contrition leads to a change of mind" rather than "contrition leads to contrition".

Who gives a shit what the bible says? Hearsay at best, move along now, nothing to see here.
Find all posts by this user
06-02-2015, 06:40 PM
My favorite quote (also bullshit, but kind of Zen-ish as well as fullashitical) is "If God had wanted us to be atheists, he would have given us brains."

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities.--Voltaire.

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." --Thomas Paine.
09-02-2015, 10:28 AM
(06-02-2015 01:02 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(06-02-2015 12:53 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Many Bible commentaries have several pages on contrition and sorrow regarding repentance. However, they begin with the clear statement that in Greek, the word repentance means "change your mind".

Who gives a shit what the bible says? Hearsay at best, move along now, nothing to see here.

Would you say the Bible is a small or large amount of hearsay? Would you say "there's nothing to see" about another book(s) that has influenced civilization so profoundly?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
09-02-2015, 10:36 AM
(09-02-2015 10:28 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(06-02-2015 01:02 PM)pablo Wrote:  Who gives a shit what the bible says? Hearsay at best, move along now, nothing to see here.

Would you say the Bible is a small or large amount of hearsay? Would you say "there's nothing to see" about another book(s) that has influenced civilization so profoundly?

I would say the bible is mostly hearsay.
I would also say the same about other influential books if they make extraordinary claims without evidence.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
09-02-2015, 10:38 AM
The "Bible" hasn't influenced civilization nearly as much as civilization has influenced it --- or we'd still be burning witches, stoning drunks and owning slaves.........

So get over it... It's simply not a source of authority....

It's just a moldy old book used to scare children.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
09-02-2015, 10:43 AM
(09-02-2015 10:28 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(06-02-2015 01:02 PM)pablo Wrote:  Who gives a shit what the bible says? Hearsay at best, move along now, nothing to see here.

(07-02-2015 09:31 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(04-02-2015 10:15 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  1) the adherent is misunderstanding the scripture 2) over time, as has happened many times before, eventually scientists will reach a new understanding and change the science to match the scriptures.

Cite one scientific paper that somewhere in it credits scripture as a source. You claim there are many, cite one you lying, ignorant, disingenuous, pompous, misguided, mendacious, duplicitous, 3rd person talking woo-peddler.

One.

One peer-reviewed paper crediting scripture as a source of new understanding.

I swear I will dog you all over this forum until you either provide one, in which case I will eat my words, or you retract your unsupported assertion.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
09-02-2015, 11:33 AM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2015 11:52 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(09-02-2015 10:43 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(09-02-2015 10:28 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Would you say the Bible is a small or large amount of hearsay? Would you say "there's nothing to see" about another book(s) that has influenced civilization so profoundly?

(07-02-2015 09:31 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Cite one scientific paper that somewhere in it credits scripture as a source. You claim there are many, cite one you lying, ignorant, disingenuous, pompous, misguided, mendacious, duplicitous, 3rd person talking woo-peddler.

One.

One peer-reviewed paper crediting scripture as a source of new understanding.

I swear I will dog you all over this forum until you either provide one, in which case I will eat my words, or you retract your unsupported assertion.

Actually you have presented no evidence the Bible has "influenced civilization profoundly". Since it was not available until rather recently it was INTERPRETATION of it that may have. OR, civilization may have driven the way it was interpreted. The Bible has been USED for many a political nad personal end. You have not established the flow direction. We know that ALL morality went from culture TO the texts, thus you may have the direction precisely backwards. The Bible has a largely political motivation behind it, to "actively remember" the tales in it to be "remembered" the way the authors WANT the tales remembered. It's an attemot to influence the way historical events are recalled in many ways. There are countless interpretations. It's those interpretations that are what "influence civilization".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
10-02-2015, 08:47 AM
(09-02-2015 11:33 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(09-02-2015 10:43 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  

Actually you have presented no evidence the Bible has "influenced civilization profoundly". Since it was not available until rather recently it was INTERPRETATION of it that may have. OR, civilization may have driven the way it was interpreted. The Bible has been USED for many a political nad personal end. You have not established the flow direction. We know that ALL morality went from culture TO the texts, thus you may have the direction precisely backwards. The Bible has a largely political motivation behind it, to "actively remember" the tales in it to be "remembered" the way the authors WANT the tales remembered. It's an attemot to influence the way historical events are recalled in many ways. There are countless interpretations. It's those interpretations that are what "influence civilization".

Is that true of all influential books and texts, that they are influential in how the interpretations of them are enacted or used? Also, do you have evidence proving that the morality of the Bible was pre-existing in the culture before it was added to the text?

10-02-2015, 09:08 AM
(10-02-2015 08:47 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Also, do you have evidence proving that the morality of the Bible was pre-existing in the culture before it was added to the text?

The code of Hammaruabi 1754 bc.

In all likelihood such existed long before it was written down.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.