Your cooking recipes...hints and tips.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-07-2017, 11:43 AM (This post was last modified: 09-07-2017 11:47 AM by GenesisNemesis.)
RE: Your cooking recipes...hints and tips.
Don't have anything plastic on the stove when cooking.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
09-07-2017, 11:51 AM
Confession: I didn't read the previous 12 pages. Confession #2: I was over 50 years old before anyone taught me how to NOT have to peel a potato to boil it. I'm so ashamed.

[Image: embarrassed-smiley-face.gif]

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post
09-07-2017, 04:14 PM
For tips:

1) when making a beef stew, brown the meat with a little red wine, and put a little more wine into the broth. It really makes the flavors jump out. Do not overpour.

2) when using fresh garlic, crush it with the flat of the knife before mincing. You'll use less garlic and still get more flavor.
09-07-2017, 04:40 PM
(25-10-2015 09:34 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(25-10-2015 09:29 AM)adey67 Wrote:  True but I do have a question, I understand you are a vegan , now vegetarian I can kinda understand in fact as an animal lover I often think I should be one but vegan..no animal products at all no eggs or cheese this I struggle to understand is it because of health or conviction and is the diet very limiting ?

I don't like the taste of meat and I love animals. I don't find it hard to be vegan at all.

In recent years I have developed a dislike for the taste of chicken and pork. But I can't imagine giving up things that have products like milk in them (ie: don't even think about eating my last piece of milk chocolate---I will get ugly). And I do love seafood. In my head I can see a vegan begging to get out. But my stomach says otherwise.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
10-07-2017, 02:03 AM
Not a cooking tip - experiment a little and you will find new flavors that make life worth living. Without experiments I wouldn't know wonderful taste of Georgian, Israeli, Italian or Japanese dishes.

As for actual tip - use recipe. I'm amazed at number of people who don't use it and then complain about taste.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
07-08-2017, 01:52 PM
Make sure you turn off the stove when you're done with it.

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
07-08-2017, 02:05 PM
(10-07-2017 02:03 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Not a cooking tip - experiment a little and you will find new flavors that make life worth living. Without experiments I wouldn't know wonderful taste of Georgian, Israeli, Italian or Japanese dishes.

As for actual tip - use recipe. I'm amazed at number of people who don't use it and then complain about taste.

That's me. I never use recipes. Ever. And I cook almost daily for decades. But I never complain about the taste - I do read recipes, but then I go off and concoct my own version, no measurements. I also cook without a clock of any kind - I cook by sight, scent and touch. And taste of course. Well, unless I do a big roast or turkey or something that takes a long time.

I hate people bugging me when I am cooking because of that - I want and need to pay attention to the food.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
07-08-2017, 02:24 PM
(07-08-2017 02:05 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(10-07-2017 02:03 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Not a cooking tip - experiment a little and you will find new flavors that make life worth living. Without experiments I wouldn't know wonderful taste of Georgian, Israeli, Italian or Japanese dishes.

That's me. I never use recipes. Ever. And I cook almost daily for decades. But I never complain about the taste - I do read recipes, but then I go off and concoct my own version, no measurements. I also cook without a clock of any kind - I cook by sight, scent and touch. And taste of course. Well, unless I do a big roast or turkey or something that takes a long time.

I hate people bugging me when I am cooking because of that - I want and need to pay attention to the food.
I try (ingredients aren't always available) to follow recipes to the letter and I modify them - or not - later. Only soups are exception as everytime I did them just like recipe told me they sucked.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
07-08-2017, 02:50 PM
(06-07-2017 04:13 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Is... this a thing? Blink

[Image: 2fe026252134ab186c3ab395469b8107.jpg]

Why, sure! Rolleyes But you need to serve it up with this:
[Image: 63afe0f0d7a03c9744b4530efae5c681.jpg]

I’ll be a story in your head, but that’s okay, because we’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? Because it was, you know. It was the best.
The Doctor
07-08-2017, 02:50 PM
(07-08-2017 02:24 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(07-08-2017 02:05 PM)Dom Wrote:  That's me. I never use recipes. Ever. And I cook almost daily for decades. But I never complain about the taste - I do read recipes, but then I go off and concoct my own version, no measurements. I also cook without a clock of any kind - I cook by sight, scent and touch. And taste of course. Well, unless I do a big roast or turkey or something that takes a long time.

I try (ingredients aren't always available) to follow recipes to the letter and I modify them - or not - later. Only soups are exception as everytime I did them just like recipe told me they sucked.

Probably this says something about our respective personalities. To me, following instructions would take all the fun out of cooking. And I enjoy the cooking as much as the eating. It all has become even more fun now that I live alone - I don't have to take another person's likes/dislikes into account and can experiment to my hearts content.

I bet you have a shopping list for food. I don't, I have a list for soap and whatnot for the house or dogs, but food - I buy what looks good or appeals to me most, and I always buy things I haven't tried before when the store has them. Then I buy things I think would go well with it...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post