Your cooking recipes...hints and tips.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-08-2017, 03:08 PM
RE: Your cooking recipes...hints and tips.
(07-08-2017 02:50 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(07-08-2017 02:24 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I try (ingredients aren't always available) to follow recipes to the letter and I modify them - or not - later. Only soups are exception as everytime I did them just like recipe told me they sucked.

Probably this says something about our respective personalities. To me, following instructions would take all the fun out of cooking. And I enjoy the cooking as much as the eating. It all has become even more fun now that I live alone - I don't have to take another person's likes/dislikes into account and can experiment to my hearts content.

I bet you have a shopping list for food. I don't, I have a list for soap and whatnot for the house or dogs, but food - I buy what looks good or appeals to me most, and I always buy things I haven't tried before when the store has them. Then I buy things I think would go well with it...

It may say something about our personalities but I know not what would it be. Ordered versus chaotic (spontanic?) seems cliched. As for fun - I don't like cooking, it's just another chore though one resulting in real reward.

Yes, I have shopping list for food, though sometimes lack of certain ingredients force me to adapt. I try to taste a new things however. Except for fish as I detest their smell.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-08-2017, 03:26 PM
(07-08-2017 03:08 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(07-08-2017 02:50 PM)Dom Wrote:  Probably this says something about our respective personalities. To me, following instructions would take all the fun out of cooking. And I enjoy the cooking as much as the eating. It all has become even more fun now that I live alone - I don't have to take another person's likes/dislikes into account and can experiment to my hearts content.

I bet you have a shopping list for food. I don't, I have a list for soap and whatnot for the house or dogs, but food - I buy what looks good or appeals to me most, and I always buy things I haven't tried before when the store has them. Then I buy things I think would go well with it...

It may say something about our personalities but I know not what would it be. Ordered versus chaotic (spontanic?) seems cliched. As for fun - I don't like cooking, it's just another chore though one resulting in real reward.

Yes, I have shopping list for food, though sometimes lack of certain ingredients force me to adapt. I try to taste a new things however. Except for fish as I detest their smell.

Well, we have the pleasure in tasting new things together. Have you tried fresh Salmon? I don't think it will smell bad to you. And it is delicious!!! Just don't overcook it.

When I find something new to try, I go and read all kinds of recipes using it and make a mental note of what all appears to go well with it. Then I go from there. So my cooking is not totally chaotic...spontaneous is more like it.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
07-08-2017, 05:06 PM
I might read a recipe to get ideas, but I never use a recipe while cooking. I will use a timer if I've got a couple of complex things which I want ready simultaneously, but I go with what I call "jazz cooking" -- improvising, using knowledge I've picked up over the years.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
07-08-2017, 05:08 PM
(07-08-2017 05:06 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I might read a recipe to get ideas, but I never use a recipe while cooking. I will use a timer if I've got a couple of complex things which I want ready simultaneously, but I go with what I call "jazz cooking" -- improvising, using knowledge I've picked up over the years.

Same here. People seem to like it though. Tongue

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 2 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
07-08-2017, 05:23 PM
Yeah, I get no complaints about my cooking. Now, when I'm playing jazz ...
07-08-2017, 09:18 PM
(07-08-2017 03:26 PM)Dom Wrote:  Well, we have the pleasure in tasting new things together. Have you tried fresh Salmon? I don't think it will smell bad to you. And it is delicious!!! Just don't overcook it.

I tried fish once, years ago. Wasn't Salmon I suppose but to this day fish just revolt me.

To me new things translate to nev vegetables and spices.

Quote: When I find something new to try, I go and read all kinds of recipes using it and make a mental note of what all appears to go well with it. Then I go from there. So my cooking is not totally chaotic...spontaneous is more like it.

If yours is spontaneous then mine would be orderly.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
19-08-2017, 11:21 AM
After a couple.seasons of The Monsters inside of me, all my proteins must be cooked. So them raw oysters, now have to be cooked.
This dish is simple and will really surprise you with the flavor you love.

Oyster Pie.
1 pint tub of shucked and washed oysters.
1/2 box of Saltines crushed (2 -10" long packs.)
2 sticks of butter melted.
1 cup of whole milk.

Mix it all together and put in 12" sq. Baking dish and then into a 350o oven for 30-40 minutes till set.
Oh,
Eat alongside with a good friend in low (candle) lighting with white wine and a crunchy yellow squash casserole.
Simple success, if you like oysters!

(Can substitute beer for wine when doing any left overs.)

You have to be odd to be #1.