Your cooking recipes...hints and tips.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-03-2015, 12:54 PM
RE: Your cooking recipes...hints and tips.
(15-03-2015 12:45 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Baked apple French toast.

(I just made it up as I went, so most of the quantities are a guess. It turned out well enough that I'll try to be accurate next time I make it.)

2 medium apples, sliced
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
6 or 7 slices french bread
½ cup milk
6 eggs

Slice apples and toss with sugar and cinnamon in large mixing bowl until evenly coated

Cut bred into cubes and toss with apples.

Put apples and bread into a large,well buttered casserole.

Beat together eggs and milk in the mixing bowl until even but not bubbly.

Pour over bread and apples, being careful to cover all. Let soak covered for ½ hour or overnight.

Uncover and bake at 350 for 40 minutes or until knife comes out clean.

Drizzle with maple syrup and serve hot.

Edit to add: I bet Logischs blueberry sauce would be good on top too.

Sounds wonderful...bet onlinebiker's maple syrup would be a winning topping too!

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-03-2015, 01:39 PM
(15-03-2015 12:45 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Baked apple French toast.

(I just made it up as I went, so most of the quantities are a guess. It turned out well enough that I'll try to be accurate next time I make it.)

2 medium apples, sliced
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
6 or 7 slices french bread
½ cup milk
6 eggs

Slice apples and toss with sugar and cinnamon in large mixing bowl until evenly coated

Cut bred into cubes and toss with apples.

Put apples and bread into a large,well buttered casserole.

Beat together eggs and milk in the mixing bowl until even but not bubbly.

Pour over bread and apples, being careful to cover all. Let soak covered for ½ hour or overnight.

Uncover and bake at 350 for 40 minutes or until knife comes out clean.

Drizzle with maple syrup and serve hot.

Edit to add: I bet Logischs blueberry sauce would be good on top too.

It almost sounds like a bread pudding. Consider

I made one similar to that and made a cinnamon caramel to drizzle over the top when it was done. I'll have to try it again.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

15-03-2015, 02:10 PM
It turned out very much like a firm bread pudding. Considering how little sugar is in it, it's surprisingly close to being a dessert. I mean toss in some pralines, and put in a healthy swirl of cinnamon and sugar. Top it with chocolate/toffee crumbles/cream cheese frosting/ice cream/the kitchen sink, and you've got some serious dessert!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
05-05-2015, 01:48 PM
Slow cooked pork belly was on the menu tonight, it was glorious! Smile
Very simple and tasty.

You need:

500g pork belly
1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon cider vinegar (sherry or white wine work as well)
1 teaspoon of finely minced garlic
1 star anise
1 teaspoon cornflour (cornstarch)

Mix the soy, honey, vinegar, garlic and star anise in to your slow cooker.
Add the pork belly and smother in sauce.
Cook on high for 4 hours (or low for 8 hours if you you can be arsed)
When pork is tender, remove and set aside.
Add the cornflour to to juices at the bottom of the dish and stir until thickened and sticky

Drizzle sauce over pork and devour quickly before any one else gets their greedy mits on any Big Grin

No extra salt needed as the soy is all the seasoning you need.

Enjoy! Smile

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too"? - Douglas Adams Bechased
22-05-2015, 12:28 PM
Give this one a try. My family loves when I make it.

Roasted Salmon Fillets with Irish Whiskey Sauce

You need:
4 salmon Fillets ( about 6 ounces each should do)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/3 cup Irish Whiskey ( I use a 12 year Jameson which I also pair with this dish as a nice drink)
1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons butter ( cut into small pieces)
2 tablespoons chopped chive

Preheat oven to 425. Sprinkle salmon with salt and pepper and place on a baking sheet. Roast for 8 to 10 minutes or so and test with a fork. the meat should flake. Meanwhile, combine whiskey, shallots and vinegar in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over say medium high heat. Cook for about 4 minutes or until liquid is nearly evaporated and it looks like wet sand. Stir in cream and mustard and cook for another 2 minutes, stir a little. It should get slightly thickened. Remove from heat and whisk in butter, chives and remaining salt. Spoon sauce over the salmon and enjoy. Pair this with asparagus and a glass Jameson

Let me know if you try this, Its one of my favorites to make.
22-05-2015, 12:43 PM
I enjoy cooking, and cook from scratch as much as possible. Beans and tomato sauces are usually canned, everything else is fresh.

Here's my lasagna, which I posted on another forum a couple of years ago:

Hey, I was pretty tired of traditional holiday food this year, so I made us lasagna instead.  Here's my recipe; I hope y'all enjoy it.  You East-Coast second-generation-Little Italy types don't break my balls too hard ...  I'm just a redneck stuck out West trying to do right.  Smile

Anyway, start with some good basic ingredients -- seasoned salt, pepper, basil, oregano, Italian seasoning, worcestershire sauce, ground garlic, a couple of 15-oz cans of tomato sauce, a pound of ricotta cheese, and I use a 6-cheese Italian blend.  If you don't have that availaible, some grated mozzarella and asiago will get the job done.  You will also need one pound of italian sausage, two eggs, one medium bell pepper sliced ring-wise, 1/2 medium zucchini diced, 1/2 med onion diced, three or four medium campari tomatoes, chopped fine (use two medium romas if Camparis aren't available), four to six large mushrooms (portabellas preferable, white or brown acceptable -- I'm using white) and one large bulb of garlic, chopped finely:

[Image: furs78.jpg]
[Image: mmwjm0.jpg]
[Image: jai8bb.jpg]

Slice up the sausage and pan-fry it in a little olive oil.  In a medium saucepan, mix your tomato sauce, onion, diced tomato, chopped garlic, diced zucchini, along with plenty of oregano, some Italian seasoning, and some basil (be very careful, basil is a powerful flavor), and garlic powder and Worcestershire sauce, and bring to a covered simmer for about 30 minutes.  Salt and pepper to taste while you're doing this.  Once the sausage is browned, add it to the sauce and simmer for another 30 minutes:

[Image: 352htow.jpg]

Soak some lasagna pasta for 30-45 minutes while you're doing some of those steps.

Once your sauce is done, you start building your casserole in a pan with a light coat of olive oil.  Lay down a thin layer of sauce first, and then a bed of pasta:

[Image: 23hnjx2.jpg]

Beat the eggs into the ricotta cheese (helps spreadability). Spread your ricotta directly onto the pasta, and then your pepper rings, mushrooms, and grated cheese:

[Image: 246qejt.jpg]
[Image: sdhj84.jpg]

... and repeat the process until you've topped out your casserole pan:

[Image: 2zhqmvb.jpg]

Now you get to pop it into the oven for 45 minutes at 375°F, and relax a little.  When it's done:

[Image: 2mo5gtc.jpg]

It's time-consuming, but worth it, and makes a good break from traditional holiday fare.
[+] 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
22-05-2015, 12:45 PM
(19-02-2014 05:45 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I didn't and it still turned out great! The meat was so tender. I considered it but my dislike for cooking kicked in and I said...damn, that's another step and a pan to clean. Tongue

(19-02-2014 05:59 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(19-02-2014 05:45 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I didn't and it still turned out great! The meat was so tender. I considered it but my dislike for cooking kicked in and I said...damn, that's another step and a pan to clean. Tongue

Fair enough, but browning it does add flavor. Yes

When I make stew, I'll brown the meat in some red wine, and add a little wine to the broth as well.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
28-05-2015, 05:55 AM
[Image: 20eaa12d386d6582461bf096e2fe5186.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
28-05-2015, 07:02 AM
As a kid - I thought "tofu" was a contraction of the words "toe fungus".

Then I ate some.

I still think I was right...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
15-10-2015, 06:38 PM
Ground cayenne pepper. Just a dash per serving. Not enough to make it super hot, just enough to enhance the flavor.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.