Your cooking recipes...hints and tips.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2012, 12:10 PM
Your cooking recipes...hints and tips.
I thought it might be interesting to have a thread to share recipes, wether they are passed down from generation to generation, something that you have learnt that you enjoy to even your countrys signature dishes.

Over the years I have done little cooking but over the last year I have started to try to cook every meal from scratch.... I have also started to do a lot of baking as well and when I get paid at the end of the month I am thinking of investing in a bread maker.

Im very surprised at how much cheaper my shopping bill has become since I have started cooking from scratch..... I know exactly what is in my meals and also enjoy the diversity it affords me.

One of the best things I have bought recently is my slow cooker...... this has saved me no amount of money as I can buy "tougher" meats and after 24 hours in my slow cooker they become the most tender bites of meat Smile

Well Ill start off simply and give one of my recipes for my soup I make a lot.

Bemores Veggie Soup.

(I make this in my 4 litre slow cooker, although im sure you can split the ingredients into two/three large pans if cooking on the hob)

5 Large potatoes.
3 Large carrots.
1 Suede.
1 Onion.
5 Mushrooms.
1 Leek.
3 small cloves of garlic.
1 Vegetable Stock cube/Homemade stock.
1 large Red pepper (for deep colour)

Prep.

Peel all vegetables and dice. Add all ingredients to slow cooker/ One large pan/ two to three other pans and add stock. I find one stock cube is enough and simply top up with more water so everything is just covered.

Cooking

I cook the lot on high in my slow cooker for three hours...... although if cooking on the hob bring to the boil and then slowly simmer. Simmer until all veg are softened enough to your liking (I like mine to retain a small amount of crunch)

Remove 3/4 of the vegetables and stock and add in small parts to blender...... be carefull when blending hot ingredients as the pressure can sometimes blow the lid off the blender Smartass so small "burts" before releasing the top to let any steam out. Blend until smooth.

Add 3/4 of blended ingredients back to the remaining solid vegetables and stir well.

Enjoy with buttered bread Smile

(This will easily serve 4 people+ and will prob cost approx £4 to make)

Eggy Bread

1 Slice of bread.
1 Egg
Salt.
Pepper.

Prep

Whisk egg very well and add salt and pepper. Pour mixture into small dish and soak bread for approx 2 minutes each side or until all of the egg has been absorbed.

Cooking

Fry in a small non stick pan on a medium heat, turning over frequently until the egg has browned on both sides of the bread.

This simple dish is awesome hot or can be prepared the night before and stored in the fridge and tases just as nice cold in the morning for breakfast Smile

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post

Messages In This Thread
Your cooking recipes...hints and tips. - bemore - 15-04-2012 12:10 PM