Your cooking recipes...hints and tips.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2012, 12:10 PM
Your cooking recipes...hints and tips.
I thought it might be interesting to have a thread to share recipes, wether they are passed down from generation to generation, something that you have learnt that you enjoy to even your countrys signature dishes.

Over the years I have done little cooking but over the last year I have started to try to cook every meal from scratch.... I have also started to do a lot of baking as well and when I get paid at the end of the month I am thinking of investing in a bread maker.

Im very surprised at how much cheaper my shopping bill has become since I have started cooking from scratch..... I know exactly what is in my meals and also enjoy the diversity it affords me.

One of the best things I have bought recently is my slow cooker...... this has saved me no amount of money as I can buy "tougher" meats and after 24 hours in my slow cooker they become the most tender bites of meat Smile

Well Ill start off simply and give one of my recipes for my soup I make a lot.

Bemores Veggie Soup.

(I make this in my 4 litre slow cooker, although im sure you can split the ingredients into two/three large pans if cooking on the hob)

5 Large potatoes.
3 Large carrots.
1 Suede.
1 Onion.
5 Mushrooms.
1 Leek.
3 small cloves of garlic.
1 Vegetable Stock cube/Homemade stock.
1 large Red pepper (for deep colour)

Prep.

Peel all vegetables and dice. Add all ingredients to slow cooker/ One large pan/ two to three other pans and add stock. I find one stock cube is enough and simply top up with more water so everything is just covered.

Cooking

I cook the lot on high in my slow cooker for three hours...... although if cooking on the hob bring to the boil and then slowly simmer. Simmer until all veg are softened enough to your liking (I like mine to retain a small amount of crunch)

Remove 3/4 of the vegetables and stock and add in small parts to blender...... be carefull when blending hot ingredients as the pressure can sometimes blow the lid off the blender Smartass so small "burts" before releasing the top to let any steam out. Blend until smooth.

Add 3/4 of blended ingredients back to the remaining solid vegetables and stir well.

Enjoy with buttered bread Smile

(This will easily serve 4 people+ and will prob cost approx £4 to make)

Eggy Bread

1 Slice of bread.
1 Egg
Salt.
Pepper.

Prep

Whisk egg very well and add salt and pepper. Pour mixture into small dish and soak bread for approx 2 minutes each side or until all of the egg has been absorbed.

Cooking

Fry in a small non stick pan on a medium heat, turning over frequently until the egg has browned on both sides of the bread.

This simple dish is awesome hot or can be prepared the night before and stored in the fridge and tases just as nice cold in the morning for breakfast Smile

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post
15-04-2012, 12:22 PM
RE: Your cooking recipes...hints and tips.
Were it not for a slow cooker my family would have starved a long time ago.

I like to put my spaghetti/lasagna sauce in it because it's so much better if it simmers a long time.

A family favorite is:

I buy a london broil or similar cut of meat, about 2 pounds. *Like bemore said, you can get away with cheaper cuts of meat-

I put one can of diced tomatoes in the cooker, put the meat on top (it can be one big piece of meat or smaller ones) then I add salt, pepper, onion, whatever spices look interesting...and top with either another can of diced tomatoes or one of the ones that are spiced like garlic and basil or whatever your preference. Cook on low all day.

The meat falls apart it's so tender and the meat juices and tomato mix nicely. I serve over rice and make some kind of vegetable.

It's easy, everyone here likes it and it's relatively inexpensive. Makes good leftovers too.

'See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way.' -JF
15-04-2012, 12:49 PM
Well, I love cooking and baking, I even started a baking book where I write down my favourites.
I have no hightech stuff to cook AT ALL, not even a mixer.

My favourite soup, that I got from my grandmother a lot. She also always added some meat but I don't.
I make a lot of this soup because I love it so much!
Nearly root vegetable soup:
Ingredients:
2 large carrots
2 onions (not red! normal onions)
some fresh parsley
1 small or 1/2 large celery root
~ 125 gramms peas (~ 1/2 cup)
200 gramms (~ 4/5 of a cup) rice
soup cubes (I like the vegetable soup cubes)
pinch of salt

1. Dice carrots, leave onions as a whole, cut the parsly, dice the celery root.
2. Put carrots, onions (as a whole), celery root, peas, in a pot.
3. Put water in the pot Wink (as much as you want, the stock will be fantastic!)
4. Bring to a boil, put the salt and soup cubes (as per directions on your pack) in
5. Turn down the heat and let it simmer for at least 20 minutes or until the water became a little brown and all veggies softened up.
6. Boil the rice in an extra pot and later serve the soup with a bit of rice in it. The cut parsley is added only once you serve, otherwise it won't be as tasty.

When everything is ready it depends on what you like. We cooked the onion as a whole for the color and the taste, if you like, you fish the onions out, peel them, cut them and put them back in, if not, just fish them out and eat the soup without the onion.

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-04-2012, 01:08 PM
Morondog's tasty spaghetti bolognese

Go to Sainsbury's.
Buy a can of Heinz spaghetti bolognese.
Go home.
Empty the can into a bowl that's too small because you're too cheap to buy another one.
Stick it in the microwave for 5 min on high.
Meantime make toast.
Your supper has now exploded.
Clean the microwave.
Meantime make coffee.
Take the remains of the spaghetti bolognese and your coffee and toast.
Go back to bed.
Spill coffee on yourself.
You may now eat your spaghetti bolognese.
[+] 8 users Like morondog's post
15-04-2012, 01:41 PM
(15-04-2012 12:10 PM)bemore Wrote:  One of the best things I have bought recently is my slow cooker...... this has saved me no amount of money as I can buy "tougher" meats and after 24 hours in my slow cooker they become the most tender bites of meat Smile

(15-04-2012 12:22 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Were it not for a slow cooker my family would have starved a long time ago.
I buy a london broil or similar cut of meat, about 2 pounds. *Like bemore said, you can get away with cheaper cuts of meat-

I've found that my pressure cooker does an even better job on cheap cuts of meat than my slow cooker. I'll put a chuck roast or pork shoulder in it and 30-40 minutes later I have to use a ladle to get the meat out because it just falls apart as soon as you touch it with a fork.
[Image: drool.jpg]

Breathing - it's more art than science.
15-04-2012, 01:42 PM
(15-04-2012 01:08 PM)morondog Wrote:  Morondog's tasty spaghetti bolognese

Go to Sainsbury's.
Go home.
Empty the can into a bowl that's too small because you're too cheap to buy another one.
Meantime make toast.
Clean the microwave.
Meantime make coffee.
Go back to bed.
I'd like to try this but I don't care for cleaning the microwave. Nor do I have a Sainsbury's near me.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
15-04-2012, 01:46 PM
(15-04-2012 01:42 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(15-04-2012 01:08 PM)morondog Wrote:  Morondog's tasty spaghetti bolognese

Go to Sainsbury's.
Go home.
Meantime make toast.
Clean the microwave.
Meantime make coffee.
Go back to bed.
I'd like to try this but I don't care for cleaning the microwave. Nor do I have a Sainsbury's near me.

Cleaning the microwave is not strictly necessary. It adds flavor to subsequent SpaghettiOs meals.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
16-04-2012, 01:56 PM
For the longest time I thought I seriously loathed Talipia fish. Made the discovery it is actually very good when cooked in a brown butter sauce and pepper jack cheese!
Brown butter sauce? Simply put....saute butter on a skillet or in a sauce pan until the butter is finely melted and starts to look a light brown.
The talipia does not have to be put on the skillet at this point, in fact I recommend it is put on as the butter is melting! Makes the fist more moist!
Not an expert here, but hubby is a chef and a good friend of mine cooked Talipia this way for me hoping to prove me wrong in my taste for the fish, and she sure did! Lol!
Note: Asparagus is also good cooked this way, just not sure about it with cheese yet.

A man's greatest pitfall is none other than himself. For only he can dig himself a hole he cannot get out of.
16-04-2012, 03:07 PM
I do a little cooking myself. Actually, I probably average three hours a day at it. I'll start with an easy recipe. One of my favorite egg recipes for people who don't really like eggs.

Stark Raving Egg Bake,

8 eggs.
1 c milk (goat milk is best if you have it, fresh from that morning is better)
2 tsp sugar
Pinch salt
Half pound (bout 250g) Monterey jack cheese
Half pound onion flav cream cheese. Buy the little tub of spreadable, and experiment with the different flavours to find your favorite
1 tbsp butter
Half c flour.
1 tsp baking powder

Beat eggs. Mix in milk, sugar and salt.
Cube cheeses and butter, add to mix
Combine flour and baking powder and add to mix.
Pour into 9x13 greased Pyrex dish.
bake at 350f for 40 minutes.
Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes (you'll notice it "deflates". That means it's ready to eat)

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
16-04-2012, 03:19 PM
We love breakfast foods at our house, may have to try the Egg Bake..especially since we will have company here in a couple weeks. No available goats though...would evaporated milk be better than regular whole cow's milk? I use it a lot in things I want to be creamier.

Sounds yummy with some pancakes and some bacon or sausage.

'See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way.' -JF

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Southern cooking BrokenQuill92 30 627 15-12-2013 10:28 AM
Last Post: Hobbitgirl
  Whip up a meal - adventurous cooking Dom 1 134 13-11-2013 06:53 PM
Last Post: aurora
  cooking with cheese Dom 8 269 26-09-2013 08:37 PM
Last Post: GirlyMan
Star I need some asparagus tips! LadyJane 29 877 17-07-2013 06:21 PM
Last Post: GirlyMan