Your cooking recipes...hints and tips.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2012, 04:18 PM
RE: Your cooking recipes...hints and tips.
Open fridge.
See that there is nothing you can be bothered cooking.
Close fridge.
Pick up phone.
Order takeaway.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes FSM_scot's post
16-04-2012, 04:35 PM
(16-04-2012 03:19 PM)Anjele Wrote:  We love breakfast foods at our house, may have to try the Egg Bake..especially since we will have company here in a couple weeks. No available goats though...would evaporated milk be better than regular whole cow's milk? I use it a lot in things I want to be creamier.

Sounds yummy with some pancakes and some bacon or sausage.
Haven't tried evaporated milk. I have been known to top up my milk with a little cream though.

Also, if you cook up some crumbled bacon, you can toss it right into the mix! I think next time I'll try diced sausage. Thanks for the idea!

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
16-04-2012, 11:26 PM
I learned this from a friend and have modified it a bit over the years.

My favorite way to make cedarplank salmon.

You'll need:

- 2 tbsp crushed nuts (I prefer almonds and walnuts, crush them finely)
- 1/2 cup (up to 1 cup if you have a giant flank) of brown sugar
- 1 tsp chives
- 1 tsp to 1 tbsp of cayenne pepper (depending on how spicy you like it), can be substituted with finely ground habanero in very small amounts if you prefer extremely spicy
- A few finger pinches worth of salt
- Mix all ingredients into a rub in a small bowl.
- Lay salmon on cedarplank that has been soaked for appropriate time (I prefer an already prepared flank of salmon, but with skin on the bottom, putting skin side down onto the plank)
- Apply rub graciously to the salmon, give it a rub down, smack it a little, call it sexy names. "You sexy fishy you." "You like that don't you." and "You sexy thang." work great.
- Put the Plank with salmon on the grill with the grill at temperature and let it cook for 20-30 minutes
- When the salmon is done it should be at temp all the way through middle, should be flaky and at temp in the middle (if you are unsure, the middle should be the same color as the outside pretty much)
- Be VERY CAREFUL taking the salmon off the grill, sometimes the planks will start to smolder and can catch fire if you aren't careful. If it's easier, take the salmon off the plank and onto a plate at the grill, then squirt down the plank to avoid fire hazard. If it's a good plank soaked for long enough they shouldn't have this issue.

Enjoy the tasty salmon goodness. The brown sugar ends up glazing and melting onto the salmon, makes it ever so sweet and you get a nice spicy bite from the cayenne pepper while the moisture stays inside from the brown sugar. Killing and eating fishies never tasted so good.
17-04-2012, 12:16 AM (This post was last modified: 18-04-2012 06:17 AM by aurora.)
Rack of Lamb with a red wine jus and baked vegetable mornay. (Great for dinner parties)

Cooking time: 1 hour approx
Oven temp: 190 degrees Celsius
Prep time: 30 mins approx
Serves 4

2 Rack of Lamb - 16 cutlets (approx 4 cutlets per person)
1 litre of beef stock
1 cup red wine
2 cups port (fortified wine)
1 Tblsn cooking oil
1/2 Tblspn butter

1 carrot
2 potatoes
1 zucchini
1/2 doz broccoli florettes
1/2 doz cauliflour florettes
1 onion (quartered and deconstructed)
1 Tblspn butter
1 cup white flour
2 cups milk (approx)
2 cups grated colby cheese

Melt butter and oil in shallow frypan on high heat, add racks and cook until sealed (browned) - remove
Place in oven baking dish (on baking paper) and cook for approx 20 mins (oven times may vary). Remove, place on carving dish and cover loosely with foil. Rest for 10 minutes.
Pour beef stock ,red wine and port into a medium saucepan, bring to the boil then immediately turn to simmer. Reduce liquid by 2/3. It will become almost syrupy, turn off heat. To be reheated when required.

Peel and chop vegetables into equal sizes (more or less). Steam until just tender.
Place in casserole dish.
Make a bechamel sauce:-
Melt butter in a medium saucepan, add the flour and stir until combined - it should become thick and almost paste-like.
Slowly add the milk, a little at a time (to prevent lumps) and when sauce is not too thick (and not too watery) add the cheese. Take off heat.
Pour over the vegetables. Grate parmesan cheese on top. Place in moderate-hot oven (approx 200 degrees celsius) for approx 10 minutes or until top is golden brown.

To serve -

Place lamb racks (can be carved into individual cutlets) on plates. Spoon over red wine jus (after reheating).
Place vege mornay on table for guests to help themselves.

Serve with a Penfolds Bin 128 or 389 (red wine).

Freakin awesome eatin', peoples!!! Yes

You may think it's too much bother...until you taste it.

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
18-04-2012, 02:31 AM
Shannows Lamb Tagine (feeds six)
[*]2 large onions
[*]shot of olive oil
[*]1 tbsp ground cumin
[*]1 tbsp ground coriander
[*]1 tbsp ground cinnamon
[*]3 cloves of garlic
[*]lamb leg or shoulder, boned (1kg)
[*]lamb or veg stock (200ml)
[*]2 tbsp honey
[*]juice of a small lemon
[*]5 or 6 tomatoes
[*]2 fistfuls of dried apricots
[*]fistful of flaked almonds
[*]1 tbsp salt and ground black pepper
[*]Couscous

Brown lamb & onions in a pan until they've got some colour. Put it in the slow cooker or an ovenproof container with the spices, lemon juice, garlic, stock, honey and tomatoes. If you're using an oven, go for "low and slow" about 160 degrees for 3 hours. 30 minutes before serving, chop the apricots into chunks and add them (if you're using an oven, keep the lid off for the last 30 mins - with the slow cooker I tend to add a bit of corn flour to thicken the sauce a bit). Toast some almonds in a pan for garnish and cook couscous (instructions are on the packet)....serve with a bit of yoghurt...awesome.

"Christianity is like a diet where you eat lots of chocolate cake all week, and then on Sunday you mentally scold yourself and "try again" only to repeat the cycle." - Buddy Christ
18-04-2012, 03:53 AM
Some of these recipes sound mouthwateringly good and I cant wait to try them out Smile

You're never going to say the things you want to say.
The things you want to change will usually stay that way
The promises you break outweigh the ones you keep.
Paint upon the wall for the hundredth time.

Jesus Jones
18-04-2012, 06:55 AM
(16-04-2012 11:26 PM)Logisch Wrote:  I learned this from a friend and have modified it a bit over the years.

My favorite way to make cedarplank salmon.

You'll need:

- 2 tbsp crushed nuts (I prefer almonds and walnuts, crush them finely)
- 1/2 cup (up to 1 cup if you have a giant flank) of brown sugar
- 1 tsp chives
- 1 tsp to 1 tbsp of cayenne pepper (depending on how spicy you like it), can be substituted with finely ground habanero in very small amounts if you prefer extremely spicy
- A few finger pinches worth of salt
- Mix all ingredients into a rub in a small bowl.
- Lay salmon on cedarplank that has been soaked for appropriate time (I prefer an already prepared flank of salmon, but with skin on the bottom, putting skin side down onto the plank)
- Apply rub graciously to the salmon, give it a rub down, smack it a little, call it sexy names. "You sexy fishy you." "You like that don't you." and "You sexy thang." work great.
- Put the Plank with salmon on the grill with the grill at temperature and let it cook for 20-30 minutes
- When the salmon is done it should be at temp all the way through middle, should be flaky and at temp in the middle (if you are unsure, the middle should be the same color as the outside pretty much)
- Be VERY CAREFUL taking the salmon off the grill, sometimes the planks will start to smolder and can catch fire if you aren't careful. If it's easier, take the salmon off the plank and onto a plate at the grill, then squirt down the plank to avoid fire hazard. If it's a good plank soaked for long enough they shouldn't have this issue.

Enjoy the tasty salmon goodness. The brown sugar ends up glazing and melting onto the salmon, makes it ever so sweet and you get a nice spicy bite from the cayenne pepper while the moisture stays inside from the brown sugar. Killing and eating fishies never tasted so good.

I do this all the time except that I use lemon instead of the cayenne... and I mix the sugar and lemon with olive oil and paint it on... Love them planks, I grill most anything on them. Trouble is sometimes I forget to soak them ahead of time and dinner gets delayed...

I love to grill and you'll find me out there any time of the year. I built a shelter for it and call it my outdoor kitchen. Smile

[Image: summerbegins005.jpg]

Grilling is fast and simple and it is always good. And I just enjoy spending time outside, I unwind there and I have had more good ideas while grilling than you can shake a stick at. Sometimes I "preheat" the grill forever because I just like standing there gazing at the view and letting my thoughts run freely...

I have a bread machine and make my own bread, my favorite is whole wheat with a lot of little seeds in it, like sesame and flax etc, plus some finely chopped walnuts. The scent of the bread is heady, it makes the whole house smell wonderful. And it is so simple, throw in your ingredients , push the button and leave. Come back to nice, fluffy, incredibly good bread hot from the "oven".

Cinnamon raisin bread is also very fragrant and almost like cake...

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
18-04-2012, 06:59 AM
Pour Frosties in a bowl. Add milk.

[Image: opforum1.png]
18-04-2012, 02:42 PM
Dom, that's a killer looking outdoor kitchen. I'm starting one myself this year. Any tips?

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
18-04-2012, 03:01 PM
Pineapple Upside Down Cake

One box pineapple upside down cake or yellow cake if you can't find it. (number of eggs, oil as noted on whatever cake mix you get)

One cup brown sugar (light or dark...your preference)

One stick butter or margarine

Can of pineapple...I have used the ring slices and have used chunks and crushed..all work well.

Small jar maraschino cherries

Preheat oven as noted on the cake mix. I melt the stick of margarine in a 13x9 pan while it's preheating.

Mix the cake according to box directions except...replace as much of the water as you can with juice drained from the pineapple.

Put the brown sugar in the pan and mix with the margarine and spread across the bottom of the pan.

Put on your pineapple...if I use rings, I put a cherry in the center of each one. If I use chunks or crushed, I just add some for color...you can actually skip the cherries if you want, but it does make the cake look festive.

Carefully pour the batter over the brown sugar and pineapple.

Bake according to instructions...you may need to add up to 10 minutes...check with a toothpick. These seem to take a little bit longer than a plain cake mix.

Take cake out of the oven and let it sit for about 10 minutes. I take a cookie sheet wrapped with foil and place it on top of the cake pan. Carefully (but quickly) flip over. If it sticks a bit sometimes dropping it from a few inches over the counter will loosen it up. Remove the cake pan leaving the cake on the cookie sheet.

Great warm...store leftovers in the fridge so it doesn't ferment, reheats nicely in a few seconds in the microwave if you want. Very moist and tasty. Very retro. I remember them being popular when I was a kid.

'See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way.' -JF

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Southern cooking BrokenQuill92 30 617 15-12-2013 10:28 AM
Last Post: Hobbitgirl
  Whip up a meal - adventurous cooking Dom 1 134 13-11-2013 06:53 PM
Last Post: aurora
  cooking with cheese Dom 8 262 26-09-2013 08:37 PM
Last Post: GirlyMan
Star I need some asparagus tips! LadyJane 29 874 17-07-2013 06:21 PM
Last Post: GirlyMan