Your cooking recipes...hints and tips.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-04-2012, 03:05 PM
RE: Your cooking recipes...hints and tips.
Pour a can of Irn Bru in a pint glass. Add 3 scoops of Mackies honeycomb ice cream... job done. Tongue

[Image: opforum1.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes frankiej's post
20-04-2012, 01:01 AM
Hope's Thai Coconut Curry.

Best recipe ever. If you don't like curry, you'll be a convert after eating this!

4 tbs butter or margarine
½ a big onion, chopped
2 – 3 chicken breasts, cubed (you can use other chicken parts if you like)
4 tsp garlic powder or 3 cloves fresh, minced
2 tbsp ginger (fresh) or 1 tsp powdered
pinch of cinnamon
3-4 heaping tsp curry paste (we prefer Patak’s Madras Curry Paste)
1 14oz can coconut milk (Aroy-D is a great brand!)
3-4 tsp brown sugar (to taste)
about ¾ cup of frozen corn
one 19oz can of chick peas
other veggies (peas, green beans, carrots, and zucchini are perfect – NO MUSHROOMS - they get slimy...)

Sautee onions in butter or margarine. Add chicken, ginger, garlic, and cinnamon. When chicken is almost cooked through, add coconut milk, curry paste, and brown sugar. Bring to a bubbling simmer until chicken is cooked through. Add chick peas, corn, and other veggies. Simmer uncovered, stirring frequently, until veggies are cooked to desired tenderness and sauce boils down a bit - about 20 minutes to half an hour. Serve over rice vermicelli (China Sun recommended) or brown or white basmati rice.

This is a moderate curry - if you want to warm it up a bit more, add some red chiles.
20-04-2012, 02:19 AM
Portal cake

1 18.25 ounce package chocolate cake mix.
1 can prepared coconut pecan frosting.
3/4 cup vegetable oil.
4 large eggs.
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips.
3/4 cups butter or margarine.
1&2/3 cups granulated sugar.
2 cups all purpose flour.
Don't forget garnishes such as:
Fish shaped crackers.
Fish shaped candies.
Fish shaped solid waste,
Fish shaped dirt.
Fish shaped ethyl benzene.
Pull and peel licorice..
Fish shaped volatile organic compounds
and sediment shaped sediment.
Candy coated peanut butter pieces, Shaped like fish.
1 cup lemon juice.
Alpha resins.
Unsaturated polyester resin.
Fiberglass surface resins.
And volatile malted milk impoundments.
9 large egg yolks.
12 medium geosynthetic membranes.
1 cup granulated sugar.
An entry called 'how to kill someone with your bare hands'.
2 cups rhubarb, sliced.
2/3 cups granulated rhubarb.
1 tablespoon all-purpose rhubarb.
1 teaspoon grated orange rhubarb.
3 tablespoons rhubarb, on fire.
1 large rhubarb.
1 cross borehole electro-magnetic imaging rhubarb.
2 tablespoons rhubarb juice.
Adjustable aluminum head positioner.
Slaughter electric needle injector.
Cordless electric needle injector.
Injector needle driver.
Injector needle gun.
Cranial caps.
And it contains proven preservatives, deep penetration agents, and gas and odor
control chemicals. That will deodorize and preserve putrid tissue.
source

Mmmm… poisonous…

Brought to you by the fine people at Aperture Science

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 3 users Like Karl's post
20-04-2012, 03:03 AM (This post was last modified: 20-04-2012 03:11 AM by Filox.)
Mmmm... Chicken cooked in beer then mixed with beans and onions?

Or potatoes filled with bacon and garlic and then roasted in the oven?

Or my famous beef cooked in sauce with dry plums, green apple, red wine and chilli?

Or the sweet-chilli tomato sauce like salsa, only it is not salsa...

Unfortunately for you, my recipes are not for public use and take way too much time to write them down.

Big Grin

Not to mention omelettes with garlic, young onion, chilli, bacon, cheese... You have no idea how simple ideas can get complicated if you let me do the cooking. Complicated, but pretty unique in the mix of all tastes... You just gotta love cooking for you to experiment with the ingredients you like and make something stunning. I tend to take normal, classical food and remake it to taste ... not standard. In a good way.

There is also "cooking with pot"...

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
20-04-2012, 03:06 AM
(20-04-2012 03:03 AM)Filox Wrote:  Mmmm... Chicken cooked in beer then mixed with beans and onions?
Sounds great.

[Image: opforum1.png]
20-04-2012, 03:12 AM (This post was last modified: 20-04-2012 04:37 AM by Filox.)
You have no idea... Best chicken ever. Very salty and chilli... I might write this one down, this is simple, but some other time, no time right now.

EDIT:

Very well, since no one is giving me what I need here on my job, so I can't continue doing my job today, I will spend my job time to write down some recipes.

Beer chicken...

You take chicken breasts, chop them into one bite pieces, put some olive oil, pepper, salt and chilli on the pieces, mix that good, so it is spread evenly. Than take one big beer, I use half a litre for half a kilo of chicken breasts. The rest is simple, just put the chicken in beer and cook on light flame until the beer evaporates. There should be around 10-20% of the beer at the end, so just a bit of sauce and it is suppose to be pretty salty.

While the chicken is cooking, you take another pot and put some onions in, a bit of salt and some oil, fry the onions on light to medium flame until the onions get golden colour. The onions are to be cut thin, but you choose your style. Don't forget to stir the onions, you do not want it to burn. Then, after it gets golden, put in a bit of bacon, cut into small pieces, also, some garlic could be used as well. NO, NOT the garlic powder, GARLIC! You can not fry powder and it is too dry and old to be of use. Garlic needs to be cut into very thin pieces, so it can melt away during cooking. So now you are frying (on low fire) onions, garlic and bacon, take one can of beans and put it in. You can also put in some sausages if you like. Then just cook it a bit, until the beans get cooked, put in the rest of the spices as you see fit, but don't put salt in the beans/onions, you have plenty in the beer/chicken. When you think that the beans are done, just put it together with the chicken and beer. Try it and put in some spices if you feel something missing. Enjoy.

P.S.
The chicken is cooked in the time needed for the beer to evaporate, but you will see for yourself is it done or not, the chicken starts to peel in small pieces when it is done, gets tender and stuff...

-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 3 users Like Filox's post
20-04-2012, 05:13 AM
(20-04-2012 03:12 AM)Filox Wrote:  You have no idea... Best chicken ever. Very salty and chilli... I might write this one down, this is simple, but some other time, no time right now.

EDIT:

Very well, since no one is giving me what I need here on my job, so I can't continue doing my job today, I will spend my job time to write down some recipes.

Beer chicken...

You take chicken breasts, chop them into one bite pieces, put some olive oil, pepper, salt and chilli on the pieces, mix that good, so it is spread evenly. Than take one big beer, I use half a litre for half a kilo of chicken breasts. The rest is simple, just put the chicken in beer and cook on light flame until the beer evaporates. There should be around 10-20% of the beer at the end, so just a bit of sauce and it is suppose to be pretty salty.

While the chicken is cooking, you take another pot and put some onions in, a bit of salt and some oil, fry the onions on light to medium flame until the onions get golden colour. The onions are to be cut thin, but you choose your style. Don't forget to stir the onions, you do not want it to burn. Then, after it gets golden, put in a bit of bacon, cut into small pieces, also, some garlic could be used as well. NO, NOT the garlic powder, GARLIC! You can not fry powder and it is too dry and old to be of use. Garlic needs to be cut into very thin pieces, so it can melt away during cooking. So now you are frying (on low fire) onions, garlic and bacon, take one can of beans and put it in. You can also put in some sausages if you like. Then just cook it a bit, until the beans get cooked, put in the rest of the spices as you see fit, but don't put salt in the beans/onions, you have plenty in the beer/chicken. When you think that the beans are done, just put it together with the chicken and beer. Try it and put in some spices if you feel something missing. Enjoy.

P.S.
The chicken is cooked in the time needed for the beer to evaporate, but you will see for yourself is it done or not, the chicken starts to peel in small pieces when it is done, gets tender and stuff...
Holy SHIT that sounds so good!
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
20-04-2012, 12:31 PM
Of course it does.

Try it, it may not be that good first time, but when you see how it is done, you will know how to modify it for you next time.

-Hunter S. Thompson
20-04-2012, 10:47 PM
Not sure if we have any bakers or baking fans present but....

If you ever bake with a special shaped pan....line it with butter. Yes, butter then coat it with flour over that. The flour helps the cake slide out after baked and helps it retain the shape rather well!

Used it to make more than one 3D car shaped cake in the past three years and each time it gets better!

A man's greatest pitfall is none other than himself. For only he can dig himself a hole he cannot get out of.
[+] 1 user Likes AnotherSinner's post
14-08-2012, 06:59 PM
I can't wait for it to get cold again so I can make this:

Crock Pot Guinness Stout Beef Stew

(Serves 6-8)

2 lbs beef stew meat (chuck is fine), cut into chunks

1/2 cup flour (divided in half)

1 tsp salt

1 tsp fresh ground black pepper

1/4 cup olive oil (divided in half)

1 lg. yellow onion, rough chopped

1 bottle Guinness Stout

1.5 cups beef stock (broth works too)

2 tbsps Demi-glace Gold (optional)

2 bay leaves (fresh or dried)

1 tsp dried thyme (or 2 sprigs fresh)

1 tbsp worcesterhire sauce

2 tbsp semi-sweet chocolate chips (don’t ewww at me)

1.5 lbs boiling potatoes , cut into chunks (red, white, Yukon Gold, fingerling…I used whatever I found in the bin)

3 small turnips, peeled and cubed

1/2 small sack baby carrots, left whole

Chopped fresh parsley (optional)

Directions

Mix 1/4 cup of the flour with the salt & pepper in a big Ziploc bag. Add the beef chunks and shake to coat evenly.
Heat 1/2 the olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. If you have the fancy kind of crock pot that can go on the stove, use that.
When the oil is shimmering, drop the heat to medium and add the beef chunks. Work in batches, with the beef in a single, uncrowded layer. You want it to brown evenly (about 1 minute per side), not steam. Remove the meat as it browns and set aside.
When all the beef is browned, add the rest of the oil and the flour to the skillet. Stir to combine, and cook for a couple of minutes to get rid of the raw flour flavor. Now, add 1/2 the Guinness, and stir to pull up any delicious stuck brown bits. You’re going to wind up with a caramel colored sludge. This is a good thing — it’s your roux.
Add all the veggies to the crock pot. Add the roux you made in step 4, and stir to coat the veggies thoroughly.
Throw the browned meat on top of the veggies. Do not stir.
Add the rest of the Guinness, the beef stock, the demi-glace (if you’re using it), the herbs, worcestershire, and the chocolate chips. Yes, you really do need the chocolate–you won’t taste them; they just balance out the bitterness of the Guinness.
Slap the lid on this thing, and cook all day on low (8-10 hours would be fine) or 4-5 hours on high.
If your sauce isn’t thick enough (mine was almost too thick), leave the lid off the last 20ish minutes.
Serve topped with the parsley, with some kind of good bread for mopping up the gravy.

( You can brown the beef and make the roux ahead of time, and hold in the fridge over night. )

My Year Of the Bible - A blog on reading the Bible

Fear is strange soil. Mainly it grows obedience like corn, which grows in rows and makes weeding easy. But sometimes it grows the potatoes of defiance, which flourish underground.
- Terry Pratchett
[+] 1 user Likes futureMACH's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Southern cooking BrokenQuill92 30 621 15-12-2013 10:28 AM
Last Post: Hobbitgirl
  Whip up a meal - adventurous cooking Dom 1 134 13-11-2013 06:53 PM
Last Post: aurora
  cooking with cheese Dom 8 262 26-09-2013 08:37 PM
Last Post: GirlyMan