Your experiences with homophobes-

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-04-2012, 10:44 PM
Your experiences with homophobes-
I haven't had any experiences in being presented with or seeing homophobes in real life. I mainly see or read about them online or in the media. I understand that in many areas of the "civilized" world homophobes are fairly prevalent and wield considerable power to discriminate, abuse, and inflict death.

I'm just curious, in your experiences with homophobia, or homophobes, what the root cause was? Was it environmental - gong with the flow? Or struggling with their own sexuality and that confusion manifested in anger?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-04-2012, 11:51 PM
RE: Your experiences with homophobes-
(22-04-2012 10:44 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  I haven't had any experiences in being presented with or seeing homophobes in real life. I mainly see or read about them online or in the media. I understand that in many areas of the "civilized" world homophobes are fairly prevalent and wield considerable power to discriminate, abuse, and inflict death.

I'm just curious, in your experiences with homophobia, or homophobes, what the root cause was? Was it environmental - gong with the flow? Or struggling with their own sexuality and that confusion manifested in anger?
That's a good question as every time I've encountered this type of behaviour and ask why I always get the brush off (not answering at all) or 'because it's unnatural'. I generally snort derisively at them and walk away.
I think it's probably both of what you inferred; 'going with the bigoted flow' or struggling with their own sexuality.
Whatever it is, it's unacceptable.

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
23-04-2012, 07:12 AM
My Step dad is a homophobe. He is also a racist. I loathe the man.

There have been so many times when I just wanted to kick him in a bit.

[Image: opforum1.png]
23-04-2012, 07:58 AM
I never met anyone who's a homophobe because is struggling with his/her own sexuality, I think that may even be a myth, I have met those who go with the flow and, for what I've seen, were always men who had to demonstrate their own masculinity by attacking those who are regarded as not masculine (women and gays basically). The other kind of people who don't like homosexuals (I won't say homophobes because they don't quite fit the definition) are those who don't agree with homosexuality because they think of it as wrong or immoral, this are mainly religious people, but they are very civil about it

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
23-04-2012, 08:12 AM
I think I ran into selective homophobia recently.

An old friend that has become quite Evangelical and I had a conversation recently, mostly about our school years. At one point he stated quite clearly that homosexuality was wrong, it's clearly stated as so in the Bible. He threw out some Bible verses to back up his 'reasoning'.

Afterward I thought back to a conversation a few months ago when he asked if I had ever been with a woman, I said no. He said he was disappointed, he always figured I would have tried that out. Blink

Sssssooooo, I get the feeling that he is against male on male and says it's because of the Bible. However, he's okay with female on female cause it's one of his fantasies. Consider

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
23-04-2012, 10:46 AM
(23-04-2012 08:12 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I think I ran into selective homophobia recently.

An old friend that has become quite Evangelical and I had a conversation recently, mostly about our school years. At one point he stated quite clearly that homosexuality was wrong, it's clearly stated as so in the Bible. He threw out some Bible verses to back up his 'reasoning'.

Afterward I thought back to a conversation a few months ago when he asked if I had ever been with a woman, I said no. He said he was disappointed, he always figured I would have tried that out. Blink

Sssssooooo, I get the feeling that he is against male on male and says it's because of the Bible. However, he's okay with female on female cause it's one of his fantasies. Consider

Yeah, I get the feeling that this happens a lot. Dudes are "grossed out" about MM gay sex but not about FF, because that's more socially acceptable- so long as they think the females are "hot" and a straight male can watch or get some pleasure from it too (picturing it in their minds). Then they're OK with it. I think this happens regardless of religious belief. It's still all about the male in those cases...

A coworker was joking about homosexuality, and I tried to buffer his joking a bit in a lighthearted way. One of the things he said was that he just doesn't understand it. I think a lot of people come from that mentality- they don't feel that attraction, so they don't understand it. I don't think it's at all an issue of struggling with his own gay tendencies or something. I'm sure that happens in some cases though. I believe that sexuality is much more fluid than most people realize. I think more (not most) people have homosexual tendencies than are willing to admit or explore it, and fewer people are strictly hetero than are willing to admit it (because they aren't comfortable with it themselves). The Kinsey scale is a good reference for trying to show this, although it doesn't cover all sexual identities.

Anyway- I think that many people are just ignorant of sexuality outside of heterosexuality. That's seemingly changing.

The typical homophobia I encounter is just people making ignorant jokes that cast homosexuality as bad. I don't mind joking about homosexuality as long as it's treated the same as heterosexuality, but I get uncomfortable when it is joking about it as if homosexuality is a bad thing. That's my personal line as far as joking about it goes. There is also discrimination in the work place. As far as violent homophobia- that still happens in some parts of the US. Sometimes, like racism and sexism, the discrimination is subtle.

This is all just my opinion from personal observation and is entirely anecdotal.

Sexuality is a very important issue for everyone to understand. The more people that understand the issues related to sexuality (beyond just orientation, there are issues of gender identity too) then the less homophobia we'll see.
[+] 2 users Like kineo's post
23-04-2012, 11:07 AM
People are taught to hate. Be it racism, sexism, or homophobia they are brought up that way. It was learned and it can be unlearned. I know a lot (an I mean a lot) of people who use words like faggot or nigger and none of them can articulate a valid excuse for such hate. It is baseless and ignorant.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 2 users Like germanyt's post
23-04-2012, 12:26 PM
I was shocked when I moved to SC, after I was off the Army base and in the civilian population, at how easily "nigger" rolled off the tongues of more people than not. Even more shocked as I witnesses the presence of the Klan...wide open and not hiding it from anyone. One family had what I originally thought were some sort of garden gnomes in their front yard until I looked closer and had learned more...they were freaking statues of Klansmen in the different colored robes that symbolized their rank in the group. Are you freaking kidding me? I often felt like I was in a Twilight Zone with how backward things were.

When my daughter brought a very out gay guy home for a visit, I had to caution him that he needed to tone it down a little to be safe where we lived. Not only was he gay, he was Jewish! I told him the only thing that would make him less popular would have been if he was black too. I worried the whole time he was there that those ignorant asses would do something to him. Cause no one would ever have been held accountable if they had.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
23-04-2012, 12:35 PM
(23-04-2012 11:07 AM)germanyt Wrote:  People are taught to hate. Be it racism, sexism, or homophobia they are brought up that way. It was learned and it can be unlearned. I know a lot (an I mean a lot) of people who use words like faggot or nigger and none of them can articulate a valid excuse for such hate. It is baseless and ignorant.
If there was a hammer hitting the nail on the head then ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this is it.

I used to be homophobic to the point where my friends used to laugh and say that I was gay and hiding something....... Until the point in my life where I started to question and ask where and why I felt the way I did about homosexuals, race, etc etc.

I soon realised that I was just copying what I was taught........ I was acting like a complete and utter fucking sheep. I had so much hate for absoloutley no reason of my own, so I let it all go.

Im proud to have my homosexual friends now Cool

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 3 users Like bemore's post
23-04-2012, 01:52 PM (This post was last modified: 23-04-2012 02:14 PM by AnotherSinner.)
Guess I should get ready to duck for cover here.....

I am not a fan of gay marriage, at least not in the church. However, some of the most awesome people I know are gay, lesbian, or bisexual.

To sum it up, people are people. Should a person happen to take interest in people of the same gender that is not going to make him/her any less a person to me.

Heck....there are times I have told my husband that I would like to have a fun loving gay guy to go shopping with because even some of my female friends are nervous or timid when dealing with things such as lingerie or telling me or another that a certain color or outfit just does not look right.

Then I am an odd ball, so cannot really give much more argument there.

A man's greatest pitfall is none other than himself. For only he can dig himself a hole he cannot get out of.