Your experiences with homophobes-

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-04-2012, 02:12 PM (This post was last modified: 23-04-2012 02:14 PM by germanyt.)
RE: Your experiences with homophobes-
(23-04-2012 12:35 PM)bemore Wrote:  
(23-04-2012 11:07 AM)germanyt Wrote:  People are taught to hate. Be it racism, sexism, or homophobia they are brought up that way. It was learned and it can be unlearned. I know a lot (an I mean a lot) of people who use words like faggot or nigger and none of them can articulate a valid excuse for such hate. It is baseless and ignorant.
If there was a hammer hitting the nail on the head then ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this is it.

I used to be homophobic to the point where my friends used to laugh and say that I was gay and hiding something....... Until the point in my life where I started to question and ask where and why I felt the way I did about homosexuals, race, etc etc.

I soon realised that I was just copying what I was taught........ I was acting like a complete and utter fucking sheep. I had so much hate for absoloutley no reason of my own, so I let it all go.

Im proud to have my homosexual friends now Cool
I got caught on the job site using the word nigger. I said it all the time in conversation. A few guys that were working with us in a dorm room at LSU left their hardhats in our work trailer. Next morning I found the hats and said to my dad "Man the niggers left their stuff in our trailer". I wasn't really paying any attention but when I walked out there were like 8 black guys standing by the trailer right next to ours. They had to have heard me through the air vents that go all the way around it. I got a pretty nasty look when I walked out but apparently they were more mature than me because they didn't say or do anything. It's bad here though and it's not getting better. It's just disguised better. People will use other words like Democrat instead of nigger. It's a shame the way some people, including myself are brough up.

(23-04-2012 01:52 PM)AnotherSinner Wrote:  Guess I should get ready to duck for cover here.....

I am not a fan of gay marriage, especially in the church. However, some of the most awesome people I know are gay, lesbian, or bisexual.
But how torn up are you about the shellfish being served at a straight wedding reception? It too is a abomination.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-04-2012, 02:15 PM
(23-04-2012 01:52 PM)AnotherSinner Wrote:  Guess I should get ready to duck for cover here.....

I am not a fan of gay marriage, especially in the church. However, some of the most awesome people I know are gay, lesbian, or bisexual.

To sum it up, people are people. Should a person happen to take interest in people of the same gender that is not going to make him/her any less a person to me.

Heck....there are times I have told my husband that I would like to have a fun loving gay guy to go shopping with because even some of my female friends are nervous or timid when dealing with things such as lingerie or telling me or another that a certain color or outfit just does not look right.

Then I am an odd ball, so cannot really give much more argument there.

I don't think you need to duck and cover! Big Grin But be aware that gay guys are still guys... a lot of guys don't like shopping for clothing, regardless of whether or not they're gay. That's a very specific stereotype. That's kind of like saying, "I wish I had a black friend to teach me how to play basketball better".

I'm curious what you have against gay marriage though. I understand in the church for a religious ceremony- but what about legal marriage? Marriage having nothing to do with the church shouldn't be impacted by the church's ideals.
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
23-04-2012, 02:20 PM
(23-04-2012 02:15 PM)kineo Wrote:  

To sum it up, people are people. Should a person happen to take interest in people of the same gender that is not going to make him/her any less a person to me.

Heck....there are times I have told my husband that I would like to have a fun loving gay guy to go shopping with because even some of my female friends are nervous or timid when dealing with things such as lingerie or telling me or another that a certain color or outfit just does not look right.

Then I am an odd ball, so cannot really give much more argument there.

I don't think you need to duck and cover! Big Grin But be aware that gay guys are still guys... a lot of guys don't like shopping, regardless of whether or not they're gay. That's a very specific stereotype. That's kind of like saying, "I wish I had a black friend to teach me how to play basketball better".

I'm curious what you have against gay marriage though. I understand in the church for a religious ceremony- but what about legal marriage? Marriage having nothing to do with the church shouldn't be impacted by the church's ideals.
Legal Marriage....honestly...I am not really sure there. It is more or less the church issue that gets me as I do not believe the church should have to compromise when the practice goes against something that they are supposed to scripturally uphold and not practice themselves.
The reason I think I want to shop with a gay guy is because not so much the stereotype, but ...more or less that from what I have come to know of some gay guys...they are very comfortable with their sexuality. Males too, IMO, tend to be a lot more blunt and to the point than most women I know. Then this could be simply the sort of people that I have around.

A man's greatest pitfall is none other than himself. For only he can dig himself a hole he cannot get out of.
23-04-2012, 02:24 PM
(23-04-2012 02:20 PM)AnotherSinner Wrote:  
(23-04-2012 02:15 PM)kineo Wrote:  I don't think you need to duck and cover! Big Grin But be aware that gay guys are still guys... a lot of guys don't like shopping, regardless of whether or not they're gay. That's a very specific stereotype. That's kind of like saying, "I wish I had a black friend to teach me how to play basketball better".

Legal Marriage....honestly...I am not really sure there. It is more or less the church issue that gets me as I do not believe the church should have to compromise when the practice goes against something that they are supposed to scripturally uphold and not practice themselves.
The reason I think I want to shop with a gay guy is because not so much the stereotype, but ...more or less that from what I have come to know of some gay guys...they are very comfortable with their sexuality. Males too, IMO, tend to be a lot more blunt and to the point than most women I know. Then this could be simply the sort of people that I have around.

I don't know of any churches that are forced to provide gay marriages. And truth be told, you're much more likely to find a gay guy that likes shopping for shoes and purses than a straight guy. So technically it's not a sterotype, it's statistically accurate.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
23-04-2012, 02:25 PM
(23-04-2012 02:12 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(23-04-2012 12:35 PM)bemore Wrote:  If there was a hammer hitting the nail on the head then ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this is it.

I used to be homophobic to the point where my friends used to laugh and say that I was gay and hiding something....... Until the point in my life where I started to question and ask where and why I felt the way I did about homosexuals, race, etc etc.

I soon realised that I was just copying what I was taught........ I was acting like a complete and utter fucking sheep. I had so much hate for absoloutley no reason of my own, so I let it all go.

Im proud to have my homosexual friends now Cool
I got caught on the job site using the word nigger. I said it all the time in conversation. A few guys that were working with us in a dorm room at LSU left their hardhats in our work trailer. Next morning I found the hats and said to my dad "Man the niggers left their stuff in our trailer". I wasn't really paying any attention but when I walked out there were like 8 black guys standing by the trailer right next to ours. They had to have heard me through the air vents that go all the way around it. I got a pretty nasty look when I walked out but apparently they were more mature than me because they didn't say or do anything. It's bad here though and it's not getting better. It's just disguised better. People will use other words like Democrat instead of nigger. It's a shame the way some people, including myself are brough up.

But how torn up are you about the shellfish being served at a straight wedding reception? It too is a abomination.
Seeing as I have not eaten shellfish or had it at a wedding....it is hard to be torn up over it. Heck had sandwhiches and punch at my wedding.
Still rather unclear about biblical issue of the eating practices too. That is something I am going to have to look into more before I go diving into this one.

A man's greatest pitfall is none other than himself. For only he can dig himself a hole he cannot get out of.
23-04-2012, 02:57 PM
(23-04-2012 02:24 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(23-04-2012 02:20 PM)AnotherSinner Wrote:  Legal Marriage....honestly...I am not really sure there. It is more or less the church issue that gets me as I do not believe the church should have to compromise when the practice goes against something that they are supposed to scripturally uphold and not practice themselves.

I don't know of any churches that are forced to provide gay marriages. And truth be told, you're much more likely to find a gay guy that likes shopping for shoes and purses than a straight guy. So technically it's not a sterotype, it's statistically accurate.

I've never seen a study on that, so I'm not sure if it's statistically accurate or not.

But as far as the churches go- I agree. Churches can refuse to marry anyone they don't like, or anyone that's not a member, or anyone who hasn't taken their particular marriage class, etc. The state doesn't tell them that they HAVE to marry a couple just because they're gay.

There's no good reason to NOT allow gay couples to get married by the state.
[+] 2 users Like kineo's post
23-04-2012, 03:04 PM
(23-04-2012 02:20 PM)AnotherSinner Wrote:  
(23-04-2012 02:15 PM)kineo Wrote:  I don't think you need to duck and cover! Big Grin But be aware that gay guys are still guys... a lot of guys don't like shopping, regardless of whether or not they're gay. That's a very specific stereotype. That's kind of like saying, "I wish I had a black friend to teach me how to play basketball better".

Let's try and put this into perspective:

Should non-Christians / non-church members be allowed to vote on the elders of your church? Of course not! The church body is supposed to be made of and run by members; however, ultimately, that is up to the church. They could allow outsiders to vote if they wanted to.

Should non-Christians be allowed to vote for Mayor of the city that they live in? Of course they should! They have a voice in the community in which they live and participate in.

I think you see where this is going. If the church forbids gay marriage, then they have that right and gay people would not have the right to be married in that church; however, the church does not have the right to say gay people cannot marry outside their church.

Gay marriage is no different than women's suffrage.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 3 users Like kingschosen's post
23-04-2012, 03:35 PM
(23-04-2012 03:04 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(23-04-2012 02:20 PM)AnotherSinner Wrote:  Legal Marriage....honestly...I am not really sure there. It is more or less the church issue that gets me as I do not believe the church should have to compromise when the practice goes against something that they are supposed to scripturally uphold and not practice themselves.

Let's try and put this into perspective:

Should non-Christians / non-church members be allowed to vote on the elders of your church? Of course not! The church body is supposed to be made of and run by members; however, ultimately, that is up to the church. They could allow outsiders to vote if they wanted to.

Should non-Christians be allowed to vote for Mayor of the city that they live in? Of course they should! They have a voice in the community in which they live and participate in.

I think you see where this is going. If the church forbids gay marriage, then they have that right and gay people would not have the right to be married in that church; however, the church does not have the right to say gay people cannot marry outside their church.

Gay marriage is no different than women's suffrage.
Kingschosen,

Would it scare you if I were in agreement with you there?

Do not want to go preaching at you or anyone here, but if faith or the practice thereof is to be done....it needs to be done so by choice. Not out of guilt or because one feels that they have to.

Living the way I do, be it after the bible or for God or not...it is a personal decision. That is the way it should always be.

23-04-2012, 03:39 PM
(23-04-2012 03:35 PM)AnotherSinner Wrote:  Would it scare you if I were in agreement with you there?

Do not want to go preaching at you or anyone here, but if faith or the practice thereof is to be done....it needs to be done so by choice. Not out of guilt or because one feels that they have to.

Living the way I do, be it after the bible or for God or not...it is a personal decision. That is the way it should always be.

Why would that scare me?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
23-04-2012, 03:41 PM
(23-04-2012 03:39 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(23-04-2012 03:35 PM)AnotherSinner Wrote:  Would it scare you if I were in agreement with you there?

Why would that scare me?

Was not sure if you had been around or seen enough "God hates Homosexual" types to make you think that basically any church goer was insane. LOL