Your families genealogy and history

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-07-2013, 11:17 AM
Your families genealogy and history
How many of you have delved into your families genealogy and discovered a rich source of history? My cousin has spent much of his adult life doing research on our family. We are descendants of Rodger Sherman who signed the Declaration of Independence, Articles of Confederation and the Constitution. Through him we are also closely related to General Sherman of Civil War fame. My father was the spitin' image of Sherman.

We also have quite a few scoundrels in our family. One of my great, great grandfathers ran a whore house in the San Francisco area.

My mothers side of the family is Welsh but is very sketchy to research. Have any of you joined Ancestry.com and if so what do you think of it?

There is the Mormon church and their records of everyone's birth which some people use for research but it kinda pisses me off that the Mormons have all that information and use it to convert the dead.

So tell the story of your family. Maybe some of us are related.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
06-07-2013, 11:48 AM
RE: Your families genealogy and history
(06-07-2013 11:17 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  So tell the story of your family. Maybe some of us are related.

Well, if you go back far enough...
Big Grin

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
06-07-2013, 11:49 AM
(06-07-2013 11:17 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  How many of you have delved into your families genealogy and discovered a rich source of history? My cousin has spent much of his adult life doing research on our family. We are descendants of Rodger Sherman who signed the Declaration of Independence, Articles of Confederation and the Constitution. Through him we are also closely related to General Sherman of Civil War fame. My father was the spitin' image of Sherman.

We also have quite a few scoundrels in our family. One of my great, great grandfathers ran a whore house in the San Francisco area.

My mothers side of the family is Welsh but is very sketchy to research. Have any of you joined Ancestry.com and if so what do you think of it?

There is the Mormon church and their records of everyone's birth which some people use for research but it kinda pisses me off that the Mormons have all that information and use it to convert the dead.

One of my Aunts did a very extensive family history and it turns out I am related to Blackbeard the Pirate.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
06-07-2013, 11:55 AM
My mother has a book about her side of the family tracking back to 1650 in America and back to the Vikings before that.

Many generations made their living on or near the water, lots of sailors. I wish I could find a copy of the book but it was a small printing and I can't seem to locate one.

Blackbeard touches on my family roots too thanks to his travels around the Outer Banks of NC.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
06-07-2013, 11:59 AM
I know next to nothing about my dad's side of the family. This is because most of them died off long before I was even born. For instance, my paternal great-grandparents died in the late 1800s. I know quite a bit more about my maternal grandfather's family on his mother's side. A distant cousin of mine, an editor for USA Today, spent several years researching archives. He published a huge tome of a book on the subject. He traced the family back to the 1700s.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-07-2013, 11:34 PM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2013 11:59 PM by Phaedrus.)
My great, great grandfather was a Danish army deserter and a scoundrel. He knocked up the daughter of a minor Danish noble in Schleswig. Her father disowned her, and my great^2 grandfather refused to care for the child. My family took her in and cared for her. Her child was my great grandfather. My great^2 grandfather spent several more years wandering northern europe before being jailed in northern Germany. The family bailed him out, brought him back to Aalborg, and held a shotgun wedding to "set things straight". He spent the rest of his life in an unhappy marriage to my great^2 grandmother and they had a couple more children. He never let my great grandfather call him "dad", preferring he be called "Uncle". Most of the family eventually moved to America, where great^2 granddad died in his 70s.

My great grandfather became a doctor and worked for the CCC as a camp physician during the great depression. My grandfather also was a doctor and served as a base physician in England during WWII, and later as a Major in the Public Health Service. My dad studied archaeology and geology in college, but ended up in software instead.

Then there's me, the first one since great great grand-daddy who isn't on the track for a prestigious degree and who doesn't play either a horn or woodwind instrument (guitar and piano being my thing). Oh well.

There's also my great uncle Earling, who served in General Patton's army on the western front in WWII. His job was to string telegraph lines from headquarters to near the front. Since that part of the front advanced near constantly, he never stayed in one place long. He was in several engagements and killed at least one Nazi. He marched all the way from Normandy to Chechoslovakia under Patton's command. He doesn't talk about it much, but he wrote some of it down once.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post
06-07-2013, 11:52 PM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2013 10:48 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(06-07-2013 11:17 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  How many of you have delved into your families genealogy and discovered a rich source of history? My cousin has spent much of his adult life doing research on our family. We are descendants of Rodger Sherman who signed the Declaration of Independence, Articles of Confederation and the Constitution. Through him we are also closely related to General Sherman of Civil War fame. My father was the spitin' image of Sherman.

General Sherman wasn't a scoundrel ? Tongue

My aunt has us all back to about 1780-1800, pretty completely, and she bound it in a book and gave it to everyone as a gift. I don't think she used Ancestry.com, or the Mormons. Just letters and stuff. ((I have all my great granny's (very formal) "courting" letters between her and my great gramps)). There are some gaps, but my aunt went to Ireland and looked in church and city records and found my great grandmother's mother's line, who came from County Cork. When she came back she said "I hope you kids know you have clones of yourselves walking around in Ireland". We've been in Cali since before the gold rush. There's a German line, a French line, an English line, a Scottish line, and the Irish line. The Scotsmen came to Canada, and down in the 1800's.

The dirty little secret is, you don't have to pay for Ancestry.com. Many county historical societies have it as a free service on their computers, if you go in to their offices to look up something.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
07-07-2013, 09:58 AM
(06-07-2013 11:34 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  My great, great grandfather was a Danish army deserter and a scoundrel. He knocked up the daughter of a minor Danish noble in Schleswig. Her father disowned her, and my great^2 grandfather refused to care for the child. My family took her in and cared for her. Her child was my great grandfather. My great^2 grandfather spent several more years wandering northern europe before being jailed in northern Germany. The family bailed him out, brought him back to Aalborg, and held a shotgun wedding to "set things straight". He spent the rest of his life in an unhappy marriage to my great^2 grandmother and they had a couple more children. He never let my great grandfather call him "dad", preferring he be called "Uncle". Most of the family eventually moved to America, where great^2 granddad died in his 70s.

My great grandfather became a doctor and worked for the CCC as a camp physician during the great depression. My grandfather also was a doctor and served as a base physician in England during WWII, and later as a Major in the Public Health Service. My dad studied archaeology and geology in college, but ended up in software instead.

Then there's me, the first one since great great grand-daddy who isn't on the track for a prestigious degree and who doesn't play either a horn or woodwind instrument (guitar and piano being my thing). Oh well.

There's also my great uncle Earling, who served in General Patton's army on the western front in WWII. His job was to string telegraph lines from headquarters to near the front. Since that part of the front advanced near constantly, he never stayed in one place long. He was in several engagements and killed at least one Nazi. He marched all the way from Normandy to Chechoslovakia under Patton's command. He doesn't talk about it much, but he wrote some of it down once.

Wow, that's some family history. Keep it written down somewhere and pass it on to the next generation. What I like about genealogy isn't just the birth and death dates, it's the stories behind those dates and the lives that were lived in each era of time. Everyone's family is mixed into history. History isn't just the famous, it's all of us put together.

“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
07-07-2013, 10:15 AM
(06-07-2013 11:52 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

General Sherman wasn't a scoundrel ? Tongue

My aunt has us all back to about 1780-1800, pretty completely, and she bound it in a book and gave it to everyone as a gift. I don't think she used Ancestry.com, or the Mormons. Just letters and stuff. ((I have all my great granny's (very formal) "courting" letters between her and my great gramps)). There are some gaps, but my aunt went to Ireland and looked in church and city records and found my great grandmother's mother's line, who came from County Cork. When she came back she said "I hope you kids know you have clones of yourselves walking around in Ireland". We've been in Cali since before the gold rush.

The dirty little secret is you don't have to pay for Ancestry.com. Many county historical societies have it as a free service on their computers, if you go in to their offices to look up something.

Bucky Ball, my grandfather was from Whales and I just can't afford a trip over there. It would be nice if historical societies put the info online. Do they to that?

And Sherman wasn't a scoundrel unless your from the South and there he's one of the most hated people from history. My husband's family is from South Carolina and years ago when I traveled back to meet his family I happened to mentioned that Sherman was my great, great, great uncle. The room fell silent. You could hear a pin drop. My husband, who's a bit of a rebel, thought it was very funny.

[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
07-07-2013, 10:36 AM
(07-07-2013 10:15 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  [M]y grandfather was from Whales ...

Oh dear. Seating at family reunions must have been an issue!

As for my own family, hmm... I can only give a couple of origin points. My ancestors all ended up here at least three generations ago (which makes me far, far more of an 'old blood' Canadian than most, which I always find a little odd).

My mother's father's father was Sicilian, and changed his name as soon as he got here ('here' being Montreal); he later became a minor league baseball umpire (including working for the Royals the year Jackie Robinson was there). As to rest on that side, I don't know; my granddad (and his brother) are very tight-lipped about family history. My mother's mother's family are Anglo-Quebecers, of uncertain (though presumably English) origin, but they were around for at least a couple generations before my nana was born.

My father's side is a little more well known; my father's father's father's father was a northern English dirtfarmer who became a western Ontario dirtfarmer (and I still have a lot of relatives two or three times removed in the Goderich/Stratford area). My father's mother's father was from Halifax, and his grandfather was an Irishman who became the city marshal of Halifax for several decades (through the US civil war and early Confederation era). He later 'stole' ('was allowed to take' is probably the truth, but 'stole' is how we tell the story) a couple pieces of furniture from the Prince of Wales (future King George V)'s Royal Train (from his 1901 tour of the Dominions).

... this is my signature!