Your families genealogy and history

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-08-2015, 03:00 PM
RE: Your families genealogy and history
My father is 100% Norwegian, and my mother was a collection of Euro background nationalities. Only person I know of that was of any significance was Admiral Byrd. he was my great great grandfather.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_E._Byrd

Rear Admiral Richard E. Byrd, Jr., USN (October 25, 1888 – March 11, 1957) was an American naval officer who specialized in feats of exploration. He was a pioneering American aviator, polar explorer, and organizer of polar logistics. Aircraft flights, in which he served as a navigator and expedition leader, crossed the Atlantic Ocean, a segment of the Arctic Ocean, and a segment of the Antarctic Plateau. Byrd claimed that his expeditions had been the first to reach the North Pole and the South Pole by air. However, the majority of polar experts are now of the opinion that Roald Amundsen has the first verifiable claim to each pole. Byrd was a recipient of the Medal of Honor, the highest honor for valor given by the United States.

[Image: ae9ni0.jpg]

Thumbsup

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
16-08-2015, 10:44 PM
I'm almost entirely Italian and a few generations back there were probably some mafiosi in the line.

That's all I know. Undecided

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 3 users Like CleverUsername's post
17-08-2015, 05:03 AM
My paternal grandmother did some research on our family. Supposedly a couple of uncles way way back were George Washington's orderlies at Valley Forge; one claimed to be having a vision of Washington on his deathbed. (the story is to be taken with a large grain of salt, but definitely some of my ancestors fought in the Revolutionary War) I am also distantly related to the most drunken US president, Grant. My grandfather was half-Cherokee. On the paternal side the people are mostly English-Scots farmers who migrated through the south to Texas, where most of them live today. One great-great-great or so grandfather was a newspaper man and founded a town in Tennessee that was eventually buried under water because of dam construction.

On my mother's side, we've been in the US since the 1920s. My grandmother was Norwegian and my grandfather and his brothers were thrown out of some Eastern European country (maybe Czechoslovakia) for unspecified reasons; grandfather changed his name at Ellis Island and never seems to have told my mother which country he was leaving or his original name. He was an alcoholic and the brief second of my grandmother's three husbands, and I don't know much about him except that he was a violinist and photographer. My grandmother's family were farmers in Norway and then farmers in Wisconsin, but she made her way to the Chicago area and lived there her entire adult life.

Nothing very remarkable, hardy peasant stock, etc., except that many of my direct ancestors have a pattern of leaving the areas where they grew up and settling elsewhere, a pattern that I and my siblings have followed also.
[+] 4 users Like julep's post
17-08-2015, 05:33 AM
My favorite ancestor is from my father's side. He was a farmer named Gilles Gauthier (just like my father). He never did anything interesting or noteworthy of his life but one thing. In 1836, he was participating in a political rally of le Parti Patriote. During one of those pre-revolutionary rally he accidentally dropped his gun and killed the guy next to him by accident. He was then judged for murder and found guilty, but since he was a young men with four young children and the fact it was a stupid accident, he was not hanged. He had to pay two chickens to the family of the deceased and was set free. He went on to have 6 more children and amongst those my next ancestor. My entire family was saved by two chickens. I found that idiotic story incredibly funny.
[+] 4 users Like epronovost's post
17-08-2015, 09:32 AM
From my mom's side I'm a descendent of Samuel Houston. From my dad's side we come from a royal bloodline of spartans and apparently my family in Greece is still very wealthy. I might have to go and collect some birthday money. Also my dad being Mormon has done a lot of genealogy research and has found the exact homes that our family lived in on his mom's side in England and Germany.
[+] 2 users Like OceanTherapist's post
17-08-2015, 10:59 AM
Dad's side of the family has been pretty thoroughly researched.

[Image: 0015photo.jpg]

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post
17-08-2015, 11:24 AM
My Dad's family came over from Ireland (I don't know too much about them). My Mom's family came over from Poland and opened a meat distributing company. And I'm vegan Hobo
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
17-08-2015, 12:29 PM
(17-08-2015 11:24 AM)jennybee Wrote:  My Dad's family came over from Ireland (I don't know too much about them). My Mom's family came over from Poland and opened a meat distributing company. And I'm vegan Hobo

Ha - I never sausage baloney. Tongue

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
19-08-2015, 05:26 PM
Dad is from Italy. Mom's side is from Ireland. Some Scottish blood in me too.

Be true to yourself. Heart
19-08-2015, 05:29 PM
My dad is from Italy where his ancestry of recent generations were mainly farmers in large farming communities. That's about all I got going back as my mother was adopted and is some English/northern European decent type but don't know anything about it.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson