Your families genealogy and history

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-08-2015, 10:04 PM
RE: Your families genealogy and history
(06-07-2013 11:17 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  How many of you have delved into your families genealogy and discovered a rich source of history? My cousin has spent much of his adult life doing research on our family. We are descendants of Rodger Sherman who signed the Declaration of Independence, Articles of Confederation and the Constitution. Through him we are also closely related to General Sherman of Civil War fame. My father was the spitin' image of Sherman.

We also have quite a few scoundrels in our family. One of my great, great grandfathers ran a whore house in the San Francisco area.

My mothers side of the family is Welsh but is very sketchy to research. Have any of you joined Ancestry.com and if so what do you think of it?

There is the Mormon church and their records of everyone's birth which some people use for research but it kinda pisses me off that the Mormons have all that information and use it to convert the dead.

So tell the story of your family. Maybe some of us are related.
`

1. Believed born in Perth, Scotland, circa 1700. Jacobite rebel. Captured at Preston. Sent to Virgina as indentured servant. When he died his estate consisted of a parcel of land, his greatcoat, 5 pounds cash and "the bed upon which I now lie."
  2. Pastor of the Roaring River Baptist Church in North Carolina. Eventually moved to East Tennessee, probably near present day Etowah.
  3. Participated in the battles of King's Mountain, Cowpens and Gifford Court House on the patriot side.
  4. Not much known about this guy, except he's buried in Missouri. I've been to his grave.
  5. Cavalry commander in the Battle of Chattanooga on Confederate side. His company was held in reserve. When commanded to attack the Union flank he addressed his men and said "Let's go home." And they did.

Harassed by "night riders" after the war, he moved the entire family to Missouri, where they made a living by gathering and selling firewood.
  6. Moved the entire family to Oklahoma.
  7. My grandfather.
  8. My father.
  9. Me.

Sapere aude
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like f stop's post
19-08-2015, 10:13 PM
I have never once given any thought or had any interest in my family history, at all. I just don't see the point or benefit. Even if I find out something, then what? Sorry, just does nothing for me.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
19-08-2015, 11:29 PM
My dad searched for as much as he could.

My mother's side is from Norway and ireland. The Norwegians came out last century the Irish were likely convicts.

My dad's is from England and Scotland.

Dad's English side likely sent here as convicts, later made their living as circus folk and later farmers. No idea why the Scot's came. Possibly decided Australia was a better option than New Zealand. I have no idea.

Dad to this day does not know who his parents really are. He was adopted but has his suspicions.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
20-08-2015, 07:03 AM
(19-08-2015 10:13 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  I have never once given any thought or had any interest in my family history, at all. I just don't see the point or benefit. Even if I find out something, then what? Sorry, just does nothing for me.

It doesn't necessarily affect the way I live my life, but I find my family's genealogy interesting in the same way that history in general is interesting. I'm not gonna go back to Russia to get revenge for my great-great-grandfather's execution, or demand reparations from England on my grandfather's behalf due to the likelihood that an Irish ancestor of his was forcibly moved to America as a slave almost 400 years ago, but I still like to do the research if for no other reason than curiosity.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 4 users Like yakherder's post
23-08-2015, 04:22 AM
I researched the family history for two years. Even found long-lost family, since my mother was adopted. I went out to different parts of this country to meet them all. Yup, traced us back to the Atlantic Crossing, and even traced ourselves back to the Crusades on my dad's side of the family.

The result?

No one cared.

-

Excl On the ignore list: Taqiyya Mockingbird, Minimalist, DemonicLemon, GirlyMan, WhiskeyDebates, and EvolutionKills.
-
23-08-2015, 02:05 PM
I am spending my day going through a couple boxes of stuff my dad left to me. Along with tons of photos I have found my grandfather's naturalization papers and tons of other cool things. I am scanning things to share with family.

I was certain I had heard that my mom was on a postcard from The Outer Banks when she was young - well, I happen to have found one of them.

Still digging, reading, scanning, and sharing. Big Grin

Also verified that one of my great great grandfathers was a NC representative.

Found sheet music in German for the violin....it's like a treasure hunt.

Anyone want an old rosary? Tongue

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
24-08-2015, 06:40 AM
According to father my grand...father was Hungarian count. It would be kinda cool if true, though I'm not really interested in it. More interesting is grandfather who served in No. 303 Polish Fighter Squadron during WWII.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.