Your families genealogy and history

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-07-2013, 11:52 AM
RE: Your families genealogy and history
I have a ancestor named Margaret Mattson, known as The Witch of Ridley Creek.

Yall might "know" her from the Blair Witch movie.

Obviously the only thing in common with her and that movie is the title "The witch of Ridley Creek"

She was tried as a witch, her judge was William Penn. She was found guilty of having the reputation of a witch, but not actually being one.

She was accused of enchanting cattle and threatening people.

I have such a great family *LOL*

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2013, 12:09 PM
(07-07-2013 11:52 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I have a ancestor named Margaret Mattson, known as The Witch of Ridley Creek.

Obviously the only thing in common with her and that movie is the title "The witch of Ridley Creek"

She was tried as a witch, her judge was William Penn. She was found guilty of having the reputation of a witch, but not actually being one.

Well to be fair she did weigh the same as a duck, ergo...

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
07-07-2013, 12:19 PM
(07-07-2013 12:09 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(07-07-2013 11:52 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I have a ancestor named Margaret Mattson, known as The Witch of Ridley Creek.

Well to be fair she did weigh the same as a duck, ergo...

*Chortle*

Well it didnt hurt her cause that she was made of wood either. But not big enough for a bridge Im afraid.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
07-07-2013, 12:24 PM
(07-07-2013 12:19 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(07-07-2013 12:09 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Well to be fair she did weigh the same as a duck, ergo...

*Chortle*

Well it didnt hurt her cause that she was made of wood either. But not big enough for a bridge Im afraid.

It's a fair cop.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
09-07-2013, 04:19 AM
1/4th German
1/4th Russian
1/4th Dutch
1/4th Cherokee

I am sho fucking exshotic!

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
09-07-2013, 08:53 AM
My mother has done a lot of work on genealogy for her side of the family. On my father's side I don't know anything beyond they were British.

What I know about my mother's side is that they were heavily involved in the history of Canada's western expansion, particularly the North West Company/Hudson Bay Company rivalry, the North-West Rebellion, and the Red River Rebellion. In the NWC/HBC conflict I had ancestors on both sides, Englishmen with the HBC and Metis with the NWC, including I think Cuthbert Grant himself. Then there's links to Louis Riel (via marriage), and a Canadian survivor of a battle who ended up working for Big Bear as an interpreter.

The furthest back I know of is Thomas Pritchard, who designed the world's first cast iron arch bridge, known uncreatively as "The Iron Bridge".

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
09-07-2013, 09:49 AM
Keep in mind, as our separation from some historical figure increases, the likelihood that we are all related to them approaches one.

... this is my signature!
10-07-2013, 06:59 AM
Those geneologies are fun stuff. I remember when I was young my aunt had paid to have this done, this was before the internet, so it probably cost her a couple bucks. It was leather bond and inside in a pocket there was parchment that unfolded and showed this big tree with everyones name typeset (really cool looking). My relatives were fawning all over it and she seen me just standing there with a quizzicle lookConsider on my face and asked me what I thought. I just shrugged. So, she pressed me to respond. I said "I guess as far as the paperwork they do a good job....but.......what about any indiscretions".....she gave a puzzling look and then her faced kinda went blank.Sad My mother is always a little behind the curve and quipped..."what do you mean indiscretions?".....sooooooo I said "indiscretions like the milkman or baby's got switched in the nursery oooooor I guess if you go far enough back when so many women died in childbirth the child was taken by someone else and raised as their own....you could go on and on yes/no???? Of course with today's DNA technologies it's easier...........until you gotta dig people up.Tongue