Your family's religions.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-07-2012, 10:01 PM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2012 10:12 PM by daylightisabadthing.)
RE: Your family's religions.
(01-07-2012 07:01 PM)Mobeus Wrote:  ... I am either going to have to never post anything slightly atheist on Facebook or delete them from it. Ughh...
Delete, Delete, Delete... /cyberman

Deal with your folks IRL and keep your online space to yourself, it can save your sanity. Later on you can swap over, after you move out.

[edit to reply to the OP]

Personally, my gran took me to sunday school when i was very young, I knew it was bullshit even then. These days she doesn't bother church though I think she still believes. My parents insisted that i go to church as long as I stayed in the cub-scouts so I quit. These days my mum is a vehement atheist but only when provoked and my dad doesn't see why we have to shatter anyone's illusions.

I have my parents on FB because they're 3000 miles away.

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes daylightisabadthing's post
02-07-2012, 12:06 AM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2012 12:11 AM by kim.)
RE: Your family's religions.
My Mother's parents - both immigrated from Eastern Europe separately- both families non-religious. However, my grandmother retained some family heirloom paintings from a Catholic aunt of hers. When one of her daughters (my aunt) married a Catholic, she got the paintings. My aunt is happily divorced now, but remains a Catholic - I think she just likes the rituals and of course, the art. My Mother and siblings all seem more concerned with social duty and acquiring stuff rather than faith.

My Father's parents - non-religious - grandmother was a flapper - danced 'til the day she died - taught her 4 boys to be well in body and mind and think for themselves; musical instruments, auto mechanics, golf, astronomy, photography, etc., while their Father sailed the St Lawrence Seaway and later worked on the Union Pacific - Grandpa died before I was born. My Father and siblings all seem to have been concerned with keeping busy and learning things rather than faith.

My own parents - non-religious - taught my brother and I to think and decide our lives for ourselves. Although my Dad was a 32nd degree Mason and a Knights Templar -he made no attempt to push any of that on us. Looking back, I think he may have even kept some religious experiences at bay, which my Mom may have tried to introduce to us. I think he understood her gullibility to a greater extent… or at least her motives. I don't think she felt she had many choices and church might have been a social duty to be performed. That's just how it appeared and it's only speculative - I really have no idea.

There was a short-lived incident when I was a teen, which I think may have been my Mom's way of trying to control what she may interpreted as my increasing rebelliousness. I think my Dad may have stepped in and put a stop to it; two Sundays, a Presbyterian youth sleepover, and an hour session with a Youth Pastor was the extent of my religious experience. I think the Youth Pastor may have been bummed hearing a 13 year old girl tell him, "There's no way I can believe this stuff, i don't see how anyone in their right mind could." I felt bad for him. The second and last Sunday I attended, he announced he was leaving the ministry to sell insurance.

After that, my Mom's attendance wained and dropped off completely for years. I know she has been going to some Methodist church since my Dad died in '08. I think it's ok for her - I don't know if she believes any of it -doubtful, but she is quite gullible. My brother often takes her - I don't know if he believes any of it -doubtful, but he might be selectively gullible. I think it's a social thing for them both. I don't think any of it really matters to any of us. I've never had any superstitions, and in my family, anyone having a faith or not, was never an issue.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply